Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

My first big game animal down - Oregon Blacktail

Decided 1 year ago to start hunting at the ripe old age of 38. Just a few days after my 39th birthday, I managed to harvest my first animal, a nice Oregon blacktail buck. I put in about 20 total days of hunting to fill this tag on both public and private land. I ended up taking this buck on our family farm, which was actually quite special for me and my family. Already cooked up the heart and tenderloins and boy was that an amazing meal. Everyone agreed it was extremely tasty! Very thankful for my first animal and looking forward to filling the rest of my tags (still have bear, turkey, and rifle elk).

mr-big-forks.jpeg

Congrats!! Can’t ever go back now that you got the bug…like trying to remove a cockleburr out of a pair of Marino’s

Very nice. Blacktails are neat deer. Congratulations, and good luck on the rest.
Thank you!

Congrats!! Can’t ever go back now that you got the bug…like trying to remove a cockleburr out of a pair of Marino’s
oofta, yeah I'm hooked for sure!!!

Bear is probably my favorite hunt of all, have fun!
I had a spring bear tag, found 4 bears but no shot opportunities... any advice for late-season fall bear?

I wrote that while assuming you couldn’t bait. If you can bait, throw a beaver carcass or 10 out there.
yeah, no baiting, but we can use electronic calls... might try that as a last-ditch effort if I can find someone brave enough to tag along ;-)

Decided 1 year ago to start hunting at the ripe old age of 38. Just a few days after my 39th birthday, I managed to harvest my first animal, a nice Oregon blacktail buck. I put in about 20 total days of hunting to fill this tag on both public and private land. I ended up taking this buck on our family farm, which was actually quite special for me and my family. Already cooked up the heart and tenderloins and boy was that an amazing meal. Everyone agreed it was extremely tasty! Very thankful for my first animal and looking forward to filling the rest of my tags (still have bear, turkey, and rifle elk).

View attachment 248178

That’s a stud Blacktail for your 1st buck

View attachment 248178
Very nice Blacktail!

That is a good looking blacktail and the conditions you were hunting in exemplified Black Tail hunting. Well done. Good luck on the rest of your list.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back