My copper bullet performance

brnsvllyjohn

I have been shooting copper for a few years but I do not remember ever retrieving one before this year. I shoot a 7 mag and use 140 grain Trophy Copper. I chose this load because my gun likes it. I have tried a bunch of others but this one is what my gun likes.
Now for the bullet performance from my blacktail buck. The buck was facing me at an odd angle in some oak trees at 100 yards. I didn't really like the neck shot so I shot him in the chest. The bullet really did a number on a front shoulder and then passed above the intestines but below the tenderloins and broke the off side back leg 3 inches below the hip joint. The bullet was just laying there with the broken leg bone. Virtually no blood shot meat in the back leg but the front shoulder was a mess. The bullet is about as perfect as one could expect from any bullet retrieved under these circumstances. I don't think I could ask for anything better. The bloodshot front shoulder is to be expected with a magnum using light bullets at that close range. Probably should use my 7-08 more often but I always seem to grab the mag.

Last edited:
That's about as perfect performance out of ANY bullet.
We use 80% Barnes bullets Not because we have to but because there extremely accurate and perform so well.

Morn’ Sid, Copper is good....Barnes’ are great! :D Unabashedly biased! ;)memtb

i made the switch to barnes vortx a few years ago for my 270 and 30-06; and I love the performance so far. I did switch over the Federal Power Shok coppers and they shot the exact same, granted i'm in the flat lands in northern MN, so shots up to 175yds are rare..
another added bonus is the birds that eat the gut piles dont have to ingest the lead fragments

mtmuley must be out hunting.
Ha! I was hunting. Had a bad experience with the TTSX in a .338 RUM. Bad fouling for some reason. Never used them again. The E-Tip is a fantastic bullet. Used them a bit. Probly never would have looked at copper again, but when your best bud owns Hammer, that's the copper you shoot. Doesn't hurt they are awesome bullets. mtmuley

Yesterday
430 yards 80 gr tts Barnes 3600 fps
High lung shot went through the shoulder bone first traveled halfway through the deer then crushed the backbone.

Today-deer.jpg

Those that “bad mouth” the modern (much improved since their conception) mono’s .....are simply “not” being objective! No bullet, fired at high velocities (excess of 2700 or so fps) is in fallible....but the mono’s come pretty darn close! I’ll take a slightly smaller diameter but substantially longer wound channel, over a bullet that “grenades” and may or may not reach the vitals with a “less than perfect” broadside shot! memtb

Yesterday
430 yards 80 gr tts Barnes 3600 fps
High lung shot went through the shoulder bone first traveled halfway through the deer then crushed the backbone.

Today-deer.jpg
I'm assuming being an 80 grain bullet, this was done with a 243/6mm of some sort? Nice buck by the way!

I was on another forum recently that is pro-lead and they love talking about how unreliable coppers are. Some folks just take a set against something and don't care for facts. I love the monolithics. Next year thinking about trying some woodleigh hydro's though my 9.3 for buffalo.

Those that “bad mouth” the modern (much improved since their conception) mono’s .....are simply “not” being objective! No bullet, fired at high velocities (excess of 2700 or so fps) is in fallible....but the mono’s come pretty darn close! I’ll take a slightly smaller diameter but substantially longer wound channel, over a bullet that “grenades” and may or may not reach the vitals with a “less than perfect” broadside shot! memtb
I've used mobo bullets since the first Barnes X bullets came out. They had issues up until the release of the TTTSX and LRX. I use exclusively LRX and TTSX bullets now, but I am under no illusion they kill as quickly on average as lead and copper bullets.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back