PEAX Equipment

My chance of a lifetime

A207X2

I just turned 65 last month. When I was much younger (teens, early 20's) I used to hunt waterfowl, upland birds, and went on a couple of deer hunts. Went in the USAF, got married and in general life got in the way so I haven't gone hunting (other than occasional upland birds) since then. I've always had the intention of going back to deer hunting, so I purchased a 30-06 rifle for when that time would come, but just too many assignments, moves, kids, school, etc. to be able to do it.

I now have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to go on an elk hunt next year in western Colorado. I'm set as far as a rifle goes, but in terms of field gear the world is a completely new one to me. So my objective here is to learn what people are using (packs, binoculars, spotting scopes, clothing, basic equipment, etc.). I've been an avid camper, and wife and I are now full-timing in our RV (2020 Riverstone 39FK). I went through USAF Survival School (seems like it was 100 years ago) so have a basic knowledge of living in the outdoors. I've started on a workout routine as I'm not physically prepared for the altitude, but also I'll be getting my shoulder repaired (torn bicep tendon, rotator cuff, and labrum) in December. This will be my only chance to get to do this, so I'm prioritizing my next 12 months to that end. I am not going to miss this opportunity.

We spend our time between SW Florida and N. Georgia (currently in Blairsville, GA on Lake Nottely).

- Jim

Welcome A207X2. Thanks for your service and let me be the first to warn you of the addictive nature of elk hunting. With regards to your question about what type of gear everyone is using, you will find that varies greatly depending on each hunters budget. If this is truly a once in a lifetime hunt, you might want to see if you have any friends that might be willing to lend you some of the gear you will need for this trip. This forum has some great threads on all the gear you have mentioned above. I would suggest you type each piece of equipment into the search bar above and read a few of those threads to get an idea of what is out there.

Welcome. Your gear list will vary depending on what type of hunt you have planned. Ranch-based outfitter? Horseback outfitter? Wall tent do-it-yourself? Backpack hunt?

Welcome. Your gear list will vary depending on what type of hunt you have planned. Ranch-based outfitter? Horseback outfitter? Wall tent do-it-yourself? Backpack hunt?

Backpack hunt. We'll set up a base camp, then spike camps. 7 day trip. A co-worker lives in CO so he's invited me and a couple of other guys. He and a bunch of his friends go every year, so I'm going to "grab on to their belt loops".

I'm looking forward to the trip itself; bagging an elk will be the icing on the cake. My main priority is keep warm, keep dry, take care of my feet, don't get hurt, enjoy the experience.

Welcome! Sounds like you’re headed on an incredible adventure. Enjoy the journey and be sure to break in those boots!

Welcome! Sounds like you’re headed on an incredible adventure. Enjoy the journey and be sure to break in those boots!

Speaking of boots, those will be my #1 priority. As soon as I hit Post #10 I'll be asking for recommendations. The trip will be late Sept-early Oct time frame in Western Colorado.

Congratulations on committing to something that will be an incredible experience....elk or no elk. You're smart to begin training early and I would caution you on not over-training, too, as we don't heal as fast once we get older :) I'm almost 65 myself and went on my first elk hunt ten years ago. I assumed it would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity but fell in love with the mountains, meadows and dark timber....so this fall will be my sixth time elk hunting. Going with experienced friends will help your learning curve - especially once an elk is down. Enjoy the preparation, savor the experience, and consider yourself blessed to have the opportunity.

For boots, take a look at Danner Pronghorn with 800 grams of insulation. Not super expensive. I have had good luck with them. If I lived in the west and spent more time in the mountains, I would look at the Kenetreks.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and planning. I’ll turn 65 this year in elk camp. I’ve hunted them every year since I was 12. Over the years the worst seasons were the result of poor physical conditioning. It only happened to me a couple of times but it ruins more elk hunts then anything else. I have found that I need better boots now. As a young man it didn’t matter which boot, makes a huge difference now. I like Kenetreks. You need to wear them a lot, not only break them in but condition your feet to the boot.
Good luck have fun, you’ll find a lot of good information here.
I’ve killed a lot of elk with an 06 and 180 partitions. You’re covered there

Congratulations on committing to something that will be an incredible experience....elk or no elk. You're smart to begin training early and I would caution you on not over-training, too, as we don't heal as fast once we get older :) I'm almost 65 myself and went on my first elk hunt ten years ago. I assumed it would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity but fell in love with the mountains, meadows and dark timber....so this fall will be my sixth time elk hunting. Going with experienced friends will help your learning curve - especially once an elk is down. Enjoy the preparation, savor the experience, and consider yourself blessed to have the opportunity.
Yeah no doubt I’ll have the “flutters” of being intimidated by these youngsters, but I’ll simply tell them I Ain’t as good as I once was, but I’m as good once, as I ever was!

I just turned 65 last month. When I was much younger (teens, early 20's) I used to hunt waterfowl, upland birds, and went on a couple of deer hunts. Went in the USAF, got married and in general life got in the way so I haven't gone hunting (other than occasional upland birds) since then. I've always had the intention of going back to deer hunting, so I purchased a 30-06 rifle for when that time would come, but just too many assignments, moves, kids, school, etc. to be able to do it.

I now have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to go on an elk hunt next year in western Colorado. I'm set as far as a rifle goes, but in terms of field gear the world is a completely new one to me. So my objective here is to learn what people are using (packs, binoculars, spotting scopes, clothing, basic equipment, etc.). I've been an avid camper, and wife and I are now full-timing in our RV (2020 Riverstone 39FK). I went through USAF Survival School (seems like it was 100 years ago) so have a basic knowledge of living in the outdoors. I've started on a workout routine as I'm not physically prepared for the altitude, but also I'll be getting my shoulder repaired (torn bicep tendon, rotator cuff, and labrum) in December. This will be my only chance to get to do this, so I'm prioritizing my next 12 months to that end. I am not going to miss this opportunity.

We spend our time between SW Florida and N. Georgia (currently in Blairsville, GA on Lake Nottely).

- Jim
Welcome. I’ll be at nearby Hiwassee tomorrow. I’m familiar with Nottely. Beautiful area

Welcome to HT!

Boot's first. Find a location where you can try on several brands. It's unfortunate, but boots can be a big investment that can turn into a do over if they aren't right after 50 miles or so. It is said you should have about 100 miles on your boots before you take them into a long trek. When I get a new pair, I wear them everywhere, regardless of what people think.

Which shoulder? Shooting shoulder or off side? Give yourself plenty of healing time, rehab, and PT after surgery before you put in a lot of trigger time with the 30-06. I've had friends who decided they needed a little rifle after surgery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back