Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New to the Palouse

Welcome. Moscow is an interesting town, pretty diverse with a bunch of fringe on both sides of the spectrum. Sounds like you’ve kinda got the fishing figured, unfortunately most of it is a real drive to get to. I’d call deer hunting good, Turkey real good and elk hunting fair to poor and getting worse unfortunately

Hi there,

New transplant to the Palouse as of two years ago. New hunter, lifetime angler. I try to spend as much time in the woods in various seasons of the year, bikes, skis, climbing, etc. any excuse to be outside. I started with upland birds and have now branched into deer and I have a local elk tag this year(but low expectations). Found a whitetail last year and that was encouraging for a late in life hunter. My two-month-old son will make….my availability more complicated than years past, but we make some tradeoffs knowingly in life. At least his birthday is not in the fall!

Cheers to all,

-Kirk

View attachment 293988
Welcome, cool matching outfits!

Yall enjoy your futball discussions I have nothing to add on that front :) ever since getting hit in the nose by a fly ball in my one season on little league(rolled around in a bloody mess on in the outfield) I've never been much for watching or playing ball sports. Hockey is as close as I get but I mostly like the skating....puck skills are adequate at best or worse.

Welcome, cool matching outfits!
Thought so too! Funny story on that, mother in law found his at some thrift shop and though it was cute, turns out I already had one almost exactly matching, surprising given its a bit of unique limey-green

Welcome from Potlatch.
You know how to get a Bronco off your porch?
Pay him for your pizza.
Ha! Thanks for your Local contributions to Hunt talk @44hunter45 I've read almost every post you've contributed to for 8A that I can find with search functions. Forms aren't that hard....I recall plenty of instances on a similar fishing one where people would ask silly questions that had already been answered many times, I try to avoid that these days.

Welcome. Moscow is an interesting town, pretty diverse with a bunch of fringe on both sides of the spectrum. Sounds like you’ve kinda got the fishing figured, unfortunately most of it is a real drive to get to. I’d call deer hunting good, Turkey real good and elk hunting fair to poor and getting worse unfortunately
I grew up in Maine, but I've since spent some time in SLC, Bozeman, Bellingham, Seattle, Tumwater, Tigard, now Moscow. I think some diversity is a good thing in almost all cases, too many places have gone super far one way or the other and its pretty hard to be towards the middle anymore 🤷‍♂️ fishing yes mostly long drives. I love steelhead too, but jetboats running up down reduces ones wilderness feel a bit. I don't know anything about turkeys, but I see them all over, sad to hear the elk in decline? The IDFW white papers imply populations are stable/within objectives? My pheasant hunting last fall would imply that there are plenty....at least on agriculture, but they also seemed pretty smart and would wait until legal shooting hours were passed by 10-15 minutes before emerging in droves(saw them on the walk back to the car) its clear why farmers might get grumpy, look at the game-trampled-trails. I'm not saying I wouldn't put one in the freezer on a A tag, but pursuing them in a more woodsy environment seems a lot more enjoyable.

, sad to hear the elk in decline? The IDFW white papers imply populations are stable/within objectives?
cow harvest is high and has been for close to 20 years. It’s not uncommon for it to exceed bull harvest. Cows get pounded on to satisfy a handful of farmers. Additionally the total elk objective for the area is pretty darn low, which means a low density when you look at how much area the zone is, and it also is maybe the only zone in the state that doesn’t have a mature bull objective. Without question the vast majority of bull’s harvested are spikes and I’d guess a huge chunk of branch antlered bulls in the harvest come from well protected private. I’ve hunted the area for about a decade and it’s only gotten tougher in that time. In fact this might be the last year I hunt locally for elk

cow harvest is high and has been for close to 20 years. It’s not uncommon for it to exceed bull harvest. Cows get pounded on to satisfy a handful of farmers. Additionally the total elk objective for the area is pretty darn low, which means a low density when you look at how much area the zone is, and it also is maybe the only zone in the state that doesn’t have a mature bull objective. Without question the vast majority of bull’s harvested are spikes and I’d guess a huge chunk of branch antlered bulls in the harvest come from well protected private. I’ve hunted the area for about a decade and it’s only gotten tougher in that time. In fact this might be the last year I hunt locally for elk
ahhhhhhhh ok that makes sense, thanks for the backstory

Ha! Thanks for your Local contributions to Hunt talk @44hunter45 I've read almost every post you've contributed to for 8A that I can find with search functions. Forms aren't that hard....I recall plenty of instances on a similar fishing one where people would ask silly questions that had already been answered many times, I try to avoid that these days.
We are going to get along nicely!

I try to put together local HT meet ups from time to time. Watch this space after season is over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back