MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My bow sucks

mdunc8

So I headed over to the local archery shop to pick up some new arrows (thanks for the advice Big Fin) and made the mistake of shooting a new bow. I've been using the Hoyt Raider my dad bought for me in 1994 to hunt the last 15 years and intentionally have avoided new bows so I wouldn't realize what I was missing. Well I caved and shot a new Bowtech. Holy %^# those things are great. My bow old bow will get the job done, but that new bow was pretty sweet. I guess I'll start saving my pennies for the next decade, so I can get a new one. Let me know if anyone has a lightly used left handed bow made in the 21st century they want to get rid of.

I am also looking at retiring Hoyt Raider Intruder to a backup position. Can afford $1000+ for a new one with all the other gear I am getting this year...Bowtech Allegiance and Guardian as well as the Mathews Switchback are on my short list.

I'm still in graduate school, so I have no idea what disposable income is, which is why I tried not to put myself in the position of wanting a new bow. Of well. I guess I'll use it as motivation to finish school and get a real job. But then I wouldn't be able to hunt 30 days each fall, so that might not be a good idea either.

Thinking I need to find a bow company to give away new bows a prizes to Hunt Talk members.

If you are shooting a bow made mid 90's or earlier, you are beating your head against the wall shooting it. Bow technology must have tripled shortly after that. You will shoot 100% better with a new bow.

Sell plasma if needed.

I could probably double my money with sperm donations on top of the plasma.

Is there anyway to speed the bow up or am I SOL? It's pretty slow to begin with, but I don't pull that much weight either. I'm confident out to 30 yards, but that's about my limit. I'm plenty accurate outside of that, but I loose quite a bit of speed, so I don't feel comfortable pulling the trigger on anything further than 30.

Well you can likely sell your Hoyt on ebay for around $100. Dinkshooter had a good point with the plasma...Got $20, twice a week back in my college days.

Best bet on price is to scour ebay. If you don't feel comfortable rolling the dice and buying a bow site unseen check out www.craigslist.com in your area.

I'll sell you my retired Hoyt Raptor Super G...it's probably like 2 years newer than your current bow..... I can still hit 20 oz soda bottles with it at 60 yards...lol

Yet another layaway payment to be made tomorrow on my new Z7.....

I upgraded my Bowtech last year from a 2002 Patriot to a 2009 Captain - huge difference in technology, and very,very sweet. I shoot a ton better with it.

I agree with the rest, save your pennies - even today's lower cost models are better than the 90's antique versions. You won't be disappointed.

Good luck.

If you are shooting a bow made mid 90's or earlier, you are beating your head against the wall shooting it. Bow technology must have tripled shortly after that. You will shoot 100% better with a new bow.

Sell plasma if needed.

My bow is ANCIENT and yet I hold my own at 3Ds, Eh Dink?

On a positive note, the wife just said on Saturday that I 'need" to get a new bow. Fine woman.

alot of archery shops have used bows. they have been checked out by the dealers, and that is much better than ebay or craigslist. you never know how honest the sellers are being. the new bows are really great, but i still believe in shooting a brace height of 7" or better. with the string suppressors, you can get away with a lil shorter, but the longer the brace height, the more forgiving the bow. hope that helps you out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back