My 2021 Iowa season

duckhunt

First outing for the year I made it to the Mississippi river for a little ice fishing. Saturday went to gremore by prairie du Chien with 20 bluegills caught. Every one was to small. Sunday went to green lake by blackhawk park. 2 perch and one bluegill caught. They were also all small. Did manage to make a pot of venison chilli so that was good. Hopefully the fishing picks up a bit.

I went around Harpers Ferry on Sunday with no luck. Yesterday I went to New Albin and got a few nice crappie and perch with quite a few small bluegills. Everyone I’ve talked to hasn’t had much luck, they seem to think it’s the lower water conditions compared to the last several years.

I did manage to get my Wyoming apps in last week. Hopefully draw a type 1 antelope tag for area 42 and a type 6 for area 22. Now just impatiently waiting for that draw.

The backwaters have slowed down a bit . Caught about 150 bluegills at Sny Magill last week . 1 keeper for around every 10 fish . I see there is alot of fishing going on now in the dredged area of McGregor lake , might be worth checking out.

There's a meat market in either New Albin or Harpers, I can't recall, but damn they have the best jerkey!! Sorry to turn the thread, originally from Decorah so that's my old stomping grounds!

We defrosted the deep freezer today. I found some deer bones that I saved for the dogs. Cooked a ham roast in the crockpot yesterday so I took the leftover water and grease and mixed in some steak seasoning.

Attachments

• 20210130_134140.jpg
    20210130_134140.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20210130_144440.jpg
    20210130_144440.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
I went to upnorth of Lansing on Wednesday in the new dredge area where they were working on all winter. I caught 12 bluegills and crappies. I didn’t have any flags. There was 6 feet of open water to get on the ice but after that it was 12 inches of good ice, no slush.
7 hours left of the work day and then heading to the cabin for my last ice fishing trip of the season. Hopefully the big river treats me well.

I went to upnorth of Lansing on Wednesday in the new dredge area where they were working on all winter. I caught 12 bluegills and crappies. I didn’t have any flags. There was 6 feet of open water to get on the ice but after that it was 12 inches of good ice, no slush.

I got a report that they are doing good on green lake at blackhawk. I ll probably start there. If that's slow I will head over to Lansing.

What are they doing with the dredge project? Rumor is it has something to do with Conway lake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back