Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

My 2021 Iowa season

duckhunt

First outing for the year I made it to the Mississippi river for a little ice fishing. Saturday went to gremore by prairie du Chien with 20 bluegills caught. Every one was to small. Sunday went to green lake by blackhawk park. 2 perch and one bluegill caught. They were also all small. Did manage to make a pot of venison chilli so that was good. Hopefully the fishing picks up a bit.

I went around Harpers Ferry on Sunday with no luck. Yesterday I went to New Albin and got a few nice crappie and perch with quite a few small bluegills. Everyone I’ve talked to hasn’t had much luck, they seem to think it’s the lower water conditions compared to the last several years.

I did manage to get my Wyoming apps in last week. Hopefully draw a type 1 antelope tag for area 42 and a type 6 for area 22. Now just impatiently waiting for that draw.

The backwaters have slowed down a bit . Caught about 150 bluegills at Sny Magill last week . 1 keeper for around every 10 fish . I see there is alot of fishing going on now in the dredged area of McGregor lake , might be worth checking out.

There's a meat market in either New Albin or Harpers, I can't recall, but damn they have the best jerkey!! Sorry to turn the thread, originally from Decorah so that's my old stomping grounds!

We defrosted the deep freezer today. I found some deer bones that I saved for the dogs. Cooked a ham roast in the crockpot yesterday so I took the leftover water and grease and mixed in some steak seasoning.

Attachments

• 20210130_134140.jpg
    20210130_134140.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20210130_144440.jpg
    20210130_144440.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
I went to upnorth of Lansing on Wednesday in the new dredge area where they were working on all winter. I caught 12 bluegills and crappies. I didn’t have any flags. There was 6 feet of open water to get on the ice but after that it was 12 inches of good ice, no slush.
7 hours left of the work day and then heading to the cabin for my last ice fishing trip of the season. Hopefully the big river treats me well.

I went to upnorth of Lansing on Wednesday in the new dredge area where they were working on all winter. I caught 12 bluegills and crappies. I didn’t have any flags. There was 6 feet of open water to get on the ice but after that it was 12 inches of good ice, no slush.

I got a report that they are doing good on green lake at blackhawk. I ll probably start there. If that's slow I will head over to Lansing.

What are they doing with the dredge project? Rumor is it has something to do with Conway lake.

Back