Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Muzzleloader or shotgun slug for moose

elker

Got a moose tag this year and deciding on using a 50 cal muzzle-loader or 12ga slug shotgun. Range would be under a 150 yards, more like a hundred. Like the idea of having backup shots with the shotgun. Never used a slug barrel, although I have a couple of muzzle blasters. Wondering if anyone has experience with a rifled shotgun, max range for moose and ammo. Heavy cover area , so I want to drop one quick.

I am sure either would do in a moose easily with a hit to the boiler room. Rifles barrel / sabot loads in shotguns can be finicky... some are tack drivers, and some would miss the target 2 out of 3 times at 50 yards. Good shells are pricey but you have to experiment a bunch of different brands to see what works. Any 12 Ga slug will hit like a ton of bricks but 150 is still a very long heave with the shotgun. On the other hand the muzzleloader is cheap to shoot and you can easily work up an accurate heavy load out to 150. Go heavy on the projectile more than necessarily too heavy on the powder. 300+ grain and a very sturdy bullet if sabots are allowed, 400+ grain if using lead conicals. The 465 or 495 No Excuses bullets would be my choice. Just be mindful of the correct load data/max pressure when pushing the big hunks of lead. Specifically, be careful converting black powder data to 777 or BH. It's not even close to 1:1.

If your going to go slug your going to need a rifled slug barrel and sabots. While I'm sure someone will disagree it is highly unlikely you will be reliably and repeatably accurate to 150 yards with a smooth bore and pumpkin slugs. Sounds like that means buying a slug barrel and testing slugs to find what it likes. I'd probably just go with a muzzy.

I think either one would be fine out to 150, but you’re going to need a decent gun with good ammo. I use a low power scope on my shotgun. I am definitely confident at 150. I wouldn’t hunt with the standard rifle sights on a shotgun. The sights will cover up about half the animal’s body at 150. Keep in mind high end shotgun slugs are about $3-$4 per round. Target practice gets expensive.

Muzzleloaders are fun and they pack a punch. Just give yourself enough time to work up a load. It takes a while to dial one in. Shoot me a note if you go this route and I'll be happy to share what I've learned while working to dial a CVA Accura.

forget both and use a rifle. moose tags are too rare
Against the regs to use rifle. Seems like ML the way to go. No excuses would be a good choice, although with pure lead it they might not get the penetration. Moose are tough skin with big bones. A ML with a pistol sidearm would give me a backup, if there's no time to reload.

Against the regs to use rifle. Seems like ML the way to go. No excuses would be a good choice, although with pure lead it they might not get the penetration. Moose are tough skin with big bones. A ML with a pistol sidearm would give me a backup, if there's no time to reload.
Where are you hunting where the regs state a muzzy or a shotgun? That's a new one on me.

Until recently, Indiana was a rifle-free state with only slugs and ML legal for firearms seasons. Therefore, I have shot a lot of animals with both. A Savage 220 (20 gauge) or 212 (12 gauge) run cirlces around any ML. My Savage 220 pushed a 275grain solid copper tipped slug at 1900 FPS (interstingly enough that is the exact velocity I am getting with my current pet ML load with 270grain slugs) it shot well under 2MOA, and held three shells. The 12 gauge pushes 300gr around 2000 FPS. My 220 had a MPBR (-3/+3) to 160 yards. The Savage slug guns are rifles that shoot slugs whereas putting a slug barrel on a shotgun gives you a shotgun that shoots slugs. It sounds like a minimal difference, but it is not. I have had many rifles that were not as accurage as my Savage 220.

In short, considering you are unlikely to drop a moose in it's tracks with either, and by your own admission hunting in thick stuff, I'd much prefer the ability to shoot multiple times and actaully be able to see the animal instead of a cloud of smoke. Just my $.02 having used both numerous times.

Another vote for a Savage slug gun. You can get a 220 for about $425 and it is lights out accurate. 150 yards will not be a problem at all with it. Between myself and my friends who I’ve lent it to, that gun has taken well over two dozen deer at up to ranges you are needing. And it hits like a ton of bricks, we named it Mjolnir - Hammer of Thor!

Until recently, Indiana was a rifle-free state with only slugs and ML legal for firearms seasons. Therefore, I have shot a lot of animals with both. A Savage 220 (20 gauge) or 212 (12 gauge) run cirlces around any ML. My Savage 220 pushed a 275grain solid copper tipped slug at 1900 FPS (interstingly enough that is the exact velocity I am getting with my current pet ML load with 270grain slugs) it shot well under 2MOA, and held three shells. The 12 gauge pushes 300gr around 2000 FPS. My 220 had a MPBR (-3/+3) to 160 yards. The Savage slug guns are rifles that shoot slugs whereas putting a slug barrel on a shotgun gives you a shotgun that shoots slugs. It sounds like a minimal difference, but it is not. I have had many rifles that were not as accurage as my Savage 220.

In short, considering you are unlikely to drop a moose in it's tracks with either, and by your own admission hunting in thick stuff, I'd much prefer the ability to shoot multiple times and actaully be able to see the animal instead of a cloud of smoke. Just my $.02 having used both numerous times.
Shannerdrake, I like your reasoning, Probably a 12ga would be better than a 20, I would imagine it might kick a bit, recoil pad?. No smoke too. The Savage sounds like the route. Scope or no scope? Makes sense to me and now I have a good reason to buy another gun, yay . Thanks for your replies!

I've killed a big bull moose with a CVA Wolf, two pellets of Triple Se7en and a 250gr Hornady SST. It just stood there, so I reloaded and hit him two more times until it tipped. The moose went a couple steps after the first hit and took the other two shots just dying standing up. That first shot was 100% a kill shot, but why risk it?

Living in NJ, I use a rifled barreled shotgun and a .50cal muzzleloader for deer regularly.
Though I love my muzzleloader and don't hesitate if I have a clear shot out to 150yds (which is rare in NJ woods), nothing compares to the killing power of a 12GA at sub 100.
I shoot an old 12GA Winchester Ranger with a slug barrel and fixed 4X scope paired with Lightfield slugs. It is very accurate out to 100 and absolutely devastating to critters. I would definitively want that on a moose hunt if close ranges are expected. Especially if you need a quick follow up shot at a pissed off moose.

This!! I'd always take a slug gun over a ML given the option.

If you are hunting from a boat, you might consider how that might impact using a muzzleloader. I know in ID many of the Short Range weapons hunts are primarily float trip endeavors, so that's something to keep in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back