PEAX Equipment

Muzzleloader doe

MThuntr

Yesterday I talked with my boss about some ideas as to where to get a doe with my muzzleloader. He sent me on a lead that proved to be a good option. I walked to this spot and no more than got comfortable when I heard the telltale twang of a deer jumping a barbed wire fence. A good sized younger doe was feeding my direction but she knew something wasn't right. I let her settle down and literally dropped the hammer on her at 50 yards. Unfortunately the previous days hunt in a blizzard meant that the powder did absorb some of the moisture and I didn't get a complete burn but it was enough to send a .54 round ball through the front shoulder and out the back of the rib cage (visible in the picture). You'll notice that my rifle doesn't have a ramrod...I broke it trying to load down a heavily fouled barrel so I have to use a wooden dowel that i carry in my backpack. :rolleyes:
I shoot .530 round balls over 90grains of FFg Black Powder lit with musket caps for those that are interested.

Attachments

• 12191969_10156202311610553_8095210134197093300_n (800x450).jpg
    12191969_10156202311610553_8095210134197093300_n (800x450).jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 182
Fun to see you getting it done the old way. Congrats! I too am short a ramrod, this dummy left it at the range I think.

I bent the crap outta my ramrod trying to reload because I was shaking so bad after shooting at buck a few years ago.

I'm taking a road trip to Minnesota and NY in December and I'll be in NY for muzzleloader season. I'm going to try to take one of my does with my percussion cap rifle.

Congratulations on getting it the old way. The last one I shot with a .490 roundball hit the shoulder bone on a small 8 point basket rack whitetail, and even though it knocked him down he was able to get on his feet and head for the river while I ran along behind trying to reload. I guess it just splattered against the bone and didn't break it and the little sucker made it to the river while I scrambled down the ridge trying to get set for another shot.

Two years later my son killed the same buck about 300 yards from where I shot him. His left front leg had drawn way up off the ground and was locked up like it was welded there with the hoof tucked up also but he was entertaining 3 does and leaving some of the weirdest scrapes you can imagine since he couldn't put that leg down

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back