Caribou Gear Tarp

MtnElk's Season of Firsts... Tag Soup Edition

This is my last Sunday at home before a string of hunts begin, and I could not be more excited. 3rd season CO cow tag and a buck tag in my pocket just in case, and then off to Wisco to visit my wife's family for Thanksgiving and go duck hunting. I was pretty excited about the cow tag - as I want redemption after my 1st season experience - but it got even sweeter last night when my wife informed me of two things: 1) my daughter wants to come out next weekend and help out around camp and if I get an elk, she wants to help. And 2) after my my wife takes the little one to school on Monday, she wants to come back out for the rest of the season and play camp cook. We share week on / week off custody of the little one with her biological dad, so the timing works out, especially with my wife just having left her corporate job to take a sabbatical. Will be fun to share this experience with both of them, especially the little one as she has become equally as obsessed with elk as I have - even asked for an RMEF membership for Christmas, as she wants her own copy of the magazine 🤣

After getting sick last round and having to cut my hunt short, I am more determined than ever to find elk this time and have a freezer full of elk after this hunt is over. Luckily, there will be a fresh blanket of snow later this week to help with tracking, but there will also be a whole heap of people there will now be deer hunters and OTC tag holders in the same unit. 1st season did not feel overly crowded, so it will be interesting to see how this goes. Either way, excited to take my rifle for a hike and hopefully find the herd and a suitable cow to take home.

If anyone has tips on pitfalls to avoid with family in camp, let me know. Right now it seems like a win / win, but I could have some blind spots here ha

I noticed the word "cow" a lot in your post, but only saw the word "buck" once. Don't sleep on that 3rd season deer tag! Good luck, have fun, and looking forward to updates!

Yeah, that warm sleeping bag is going to be hard to get out of! I will be heading out tomorrow as well. Good luck and stay warm. On the plus side should be good weather for the roads.

Have the morning off as I promised the wife and daughter I would drive them over the pass today if it snowed overnight... and it snowed overnight ha. But the first two days of the hunt have been really enjoyable and promising so far. For this weekend my neighbor, his son, and a mutual friend joined in on the hunt to see if we could put it all together and take down 3 cow elk.

Morning 1 was cold, got in the car and it said 7 degrees - by the time we reached our intended hiking location it was 0. But it made for some really beautiful views, clear conditions and nearly windless. Started out hiking and immediately saw a solo bulls tracks. Promising, but wrong type of elk. We made our way to a hill side and got the three of them setup to start glassing. I had a little knoll I wanted to check out, but knew it was too much for the little boy, so I set out alone. While walking to said spot, bumped a barely legal buck (have a buck tag in my pocket) and two does. That would be have been a fun way to start the hunt, tagging out 5 mins into the season on my buck tag. The biggest problem with our spot was the sheer number of hunters around us. Despite going to a more remote trailhead there were plates from UT, WA, NV, and AZ all around us. Not to mention the local crowd. People walking below us, behind us, just everywhere. The idea that an elk heard was going to come by soon was quickly dwindling, Just way too much pressure and even if the four of us weren't winded, some of these guys wood. We gave it a good old college try and made it til about noon before we decided to relocate.

IMG_2299.JPG
IMG_2300.JPG
IMG_2301.JPG

That afternoon we relocated to a more southern spot on the unit and a lower elevation. We had been high and decided to see how it was going down low. Again, we ended up in truck and out of state hunter heaven and had it not taken us an hour to get up to our glassing spot, we would have left immediately. Way too much again that provided too narrow of a pathway for game to cross without being impacted by the roads / hunters, etc. The good news is that the area and it's habitat look great for deer and there are two knolls a bit east of this area that are only accessible by a steep climb, so I am going to check those out later this week after I focus on that cow elk tag. Beautiful sunset to end day one

IMG_2303.JPG

Day 2 (Sunday) turned out to be a bit of a goat rodeo. We got up super early to get into a roadless area that should hold elk and keep them feeling safe. We got up even earlier, got to our intended side of the road "trailhead" and got out to a bitter cold and brutal climb. Straight up a knoll we went in the pitch black and freezing cold. About 3/4 of the way up to our intended level, we start seeing tracks everywhere. granted they are big bull tracks and not the tracks of a herd on the move, but they are criss crossing everywhere and some are incredibly fresh and the oldest are no more than 3 days old. So it puts a little pep in our step and we get up to our area and spread out our forces. the father and son took the thermal advantage side of the saddle and glassed that. the family friend took a spot further up the hill and I parked myself amongst a ton of deadfall with the coming sunrise as my back at the edge of the timber, using the thermals to my advantage. For lack of a better term, it felt really "elky". Between the tracks, the layout of our squad and the thermals, it was dialed in right - we just needed our dancing partner, the cow elk.

IMG_2315.JPG
IMG_2314.JPG

Wish I had taken a better angle of these tracks, they looked smaller than they really were. Followed them for bit before they hit the dark timber and decided against going full bore into the woods. Working on this patience thing. So we spent a good 6 hours in this location, we moved twice to a different saddle that overlooked a meadow with a still (barely) running river and a ton of grasses. Aka what one would expect to be cow heaven. Still nothing. More tracks, more good habitat, no elk. Trying not to be discouraged, we agreed to head back to the car around noon - the little guy was not feeling so hot - and so we hiked the drainage and river basin out. Surprisingly, not a lot of tracks to and from the water source, which surprised me. And it was at this point that the day started going sideways. First I slipped on a snow covered rock that I never saw and as I came down, cut the hand that broke my fall open on a sharp, also snow covered rock. Not a big deal, a little clean river water and a bandage later and we are good to go. We get back to the car and get loaded up and head up the pass a little further to do some truck hunting - the little guy is feeling like crap and we already have 6 miles and a lot of vertical gain under our belt by noonish. We get to a road that looks promising on the map, but should have known there might be a closed gate as there were no tracks in the 6 inches of snow that lay there. We drove up and of course gate closed. so we back out of of there for a mile and decide to head to a different spot.

We get to the road we want to climb and all looks good - looks like every other road we have driven this weekend: covered in snow, a little steep and fun drops offs on at least one side. So we start to climb, but this road is given us more trouble that before. And finally we get to a point where all of us are saying it would be best to call it and get out of her before it gets really squirrelly. so we back out and start to slide, and end up half off the road. and sometime during when we dug out the rig, and safely got it back in the tracks - with a now sick 9 year old in the car - the father lost his phone. Which also had all his ID and cards in it too. But we don't realize that until we are back down to a safe spot with the rig. So then we hike back up to dig out spot and go through all the snow. 45 mins of searching and sifting and nothing. He finally says F it and we leave. But we have now lost the entire afternoon, a phone, a wallet and the health of the little one.

We get back to the house and my wife informs me that our little one is not feeling so good too. So now we've got two sick kids and let's just say that made for a fun night. Going on about 4 hours of sleep right now, about to drive the girls up and over the pass and then back again to tackle afternoon hunting.

I am solo from here on out and after everything from this weekend, I am extremely optimistic about the possibilities of punching at least one tag and extremely cautious about what roads to pick moving forward as its snowing now. The good news is that the spot I believe might be holding elk is just an easy drive and a crappy hike away. So I'll be back there again tomorrow for sure.

Last edited:
welp, sometimes things just don't go as planned and life gets in the way. my daughter's fever started to spike and ultimately hit 104 yesterday morning as I listening to a buck rake branches right behind me in my A spot of the week. But right as I was turning to attempt to get downwind of the buck and stalk it, my Zoleo buzzed with a message from my wife that the little one was getting worse and I ran out of there so fast. Hate having a second hunt cut short by illness, but family always come first - there will be lots of hunts left in life, but kids are only little for so long.

I had an absolute blast both hunts, despite eating tag soup and genuinely having my ass handed to me - especially my original e scouting plans. But it was fun to spend so much time out in the woods and especially this 3rd season hunt when I was able to get away from other hunters and all the annoyances they come with. I've learned a lot with these failures and was able to properly evaluate how most of my equipment / clothing worked - or in some cases, didn't work. And the knowledge I've gained by seeing how most hunters move through a unit has proved to be a very useful lesson.

I owe a big thanks to a few select HT members - but I won't tag them here, for their own sake. Found out yesterday that people are definitely scrubbing google looking for hunting info as someone joined this site specifically to message me about a unit that I posted a picture of in the Sunday Pic of the Day thread. So tagging them might get them a bunch of DMs looking for info. To those of you that did help me out, thank you again and if you ever need anything, just hit me up - especially if you are looking for areas devoid of elk, I am really good at finding those spots 🤣

I only took two pics yesterday and one was of myself right after I got to my spot and saw all the deer tracks around. It was completely silent except for the snow falling on my jacket, it was bone chillingly cold and I was loving every second of it. Love living here in Colorado, and to get to explore its landscape while looking for mule deer and elk feels like a huge privilege. So I decided to capture that feeling on film. I also took a picture of my new Subaru, but I will save that for the Subaru thread so that @Stocker can ogle over its majestic beauty.

Now it's time to pivot to Wisco ducks for Thanksgiving and mentally preparing to stay with my in-laws all week.

IMG_2327.JPG

I love your highways, always so smooth and fast. And you don't have to worry about me running trucks off the road or cutting them off, I grew up in a trucking family.
You’re like the unicorn of Subaru drivers if that turns out to be true. 🤣

For @BAKPAKR:

We got the van in 2020 after my company had an unexpectedly really good year and I needed a tax deduction / we had chatted about getting one for years. But it served the purpose of letting me visit clients and not having to worry about flights getting cancelled / hotels etc during covid disruption times. I could just stay in the van and visit clients. Then we also used it a lot of trail races, vacations and even local camping - especially in the winter.

We utilized a local company in Gypsum that was creating a lot of jobs during a time when a lot of people were getting rid of jobs, and we built it out really simple. We oriented the bed along the long axis of the vehicle so that tall people could use it and the three of us could fit up there with ease. It's essentially bigger than a queen but a little smaller than a king. I'm 5'10" and I couldn't stretch out side to side (its 5'9) so I voted for that orientation. The underside is all open and has tons of storage area. The only additional work I did that they didnt was covering up the wheel wells with a little box and some acoustic foam panels as it was super loud from all the rocks in the wheel well. Created a little additional storage as well. No central plumbing per se, as we use the 7 gallons blue jugs for water and then one for grey water. I carry 4 fresh water with me on all trips unless it's warm and I know we have access to water. we got a cassette toilet and have the ability to shower in the van if we need to (rarely) or I can turn the faucet around and pull the hose out the side window and camp shower that way. It's built on the Ram 2500 ProMaster frame. In hindsight would have gone with the 3500 for the extra space, but it's not overly noticeable. We did not lift it and it only has front wheel drive, but I went up some gnarly trails to get to 11k feet last fall and had zero issues. Just pick a smart line and be smart. Threw Falken Wildpeaks on there also.

As a hunting vehicle it was not the best option Solo. because the downside of a van (As compared to a trailer) is that you have to pack everything up and secure it before moving it, so I wasnt as mobile as I would have liked. So If I were group hunting and we had a drive into basecamp, I would 1000% bring it. It allows me to sleep comfortably, cook for others faster and carry large amounts of water with no issue - and keep it from freezing if it's cold. But last season it was a burden during 1st season as my "A" area turned out to be a bust and I needed to relocate, which meant packing and securing everything before going down the rutted out forest road. I can also haul a ton of weight in there. So packing out meat for others in coolers is super easy.

Where the van has been super awesome though is for trail races / mountain adventure weekends where you pull up to a spot and don't move for a few days. It really is nice to sleep on a comfy mattress at a trailhead or starting line and just roll out of the van and onto the trail.

We are considering turning it into a rental... but I'm worried that could go south in a heartbeat and not be worth the headache. If we had a second I would 100% rent that because I would care if someone trashed that as I'd never sleep in it.

the one thing we need to add is a seat in the back for the little one. We normally have a second car with us because I'll secure a spot a few days earlier than the girls come down, so it hasn't been an issue. But would be nice to get all three of us in there as well.

I thought I had more pictures of the van itself, but not so much. But here are a few of the interior. These are a bit old as we no longer have the pup, but give a good idea of the buildout.

IMG_6320.jpeg
IMG_6297.jpeg
IMG_6562D.jpeg
IMG_8111.jpeg

This is a photo from our friend who just borrowed it. Literally the only picture I have of the front. They are bit messier than we are ha

1689613837480.jpeg
are

I suppose it would be just as neat, or maybe even neater, to see a Subaru loaded up with two guys, their gear, and their elk.

Do you have a trailer hitch on the Subaru to mount a hitch rack? You could be just like NorthIdahoDude.

I suppose it would be just as neat, or maybe even neater, to see a Subaru loaded up with two guys, their gear, and their elk.

Do you have a trailer hitch on the Subaru to mount a hitch rack? You could be just like NorthIdahoDude.

that was cool... but @Beaver Hunter's post about his grandmothers sedan and that sweet rack on top would be hard to beat!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back