MT Snowies elk

Bullshit headline

It says that there are 7200 elk in the area and 6600 of them are on the Wilks Ranch. That makes 600 elk that are not on the Wilks Ranch.
Assuming every last one of those elk not on the N Bar is lives on public (which they don’t) that leaves us with 600 accessible elk.
The EMP says that elk that are inaccessible may not be counted toward objective.
The objective for the area is 690-900.
Elk in the area are at minimum, 90 animals UNDER OBJECTIVE, using FWP numbers.
It takes some real creative math to take an elk herd that is at least 13% under objective and write a headline that says they’re 800% over.

Brett French can be reached at [email protected]

I agree with you Gomer. It’s terrifying that their new plan is to allow every hunter 3 tags to essentially hunt those 600 elk. I have hunted that area for years and have NEVER seen a cow elk on public land during the rifle season. It’s also very difficult to hunt/kill elk when the white N-Bar truck fleet are driving fences to make sure the elk don’t leave their ranch. Unfortunately I think my days of elk hunting that country are over.

It is pretty unfortunate that the NBar has placed a geographic monopoly on the elk herd. I can foresee disease within that herd in the coming years. AND I bet the ranch will reach out for state funding to remedy the situation. It seems like the elk are considered ranch property until they become a problem.

Another win for MT fwp "management" but who am I to judge i didn't go to school for it.

hey guys dumb question but I am from Pa and not educated on every area out west I guess the guys that own the private dont allow any hunting? even pay for access ? or pay hunts?

hey guys dumb question but I am from Pa and not educated on every area out west I guess the guys that own the private dont allow any hunting? even pay for access ? or pay hunts?

Not only do they not allow hunting, they have a full crew dedicated to patrolling the ranch borders. I myself have witnessed, filmed, and turned into FWP, the little white pickups racing down the fence line when a critter looks like they are heading for public land to keep them on their ranch. I have also seen them place 6 point elk sheds off public roads in plain view, in which I assume is an attempt to catch someone trespassing to retrieve the shed antler.

They are the scum of the earth.

That type of attitude is beyond me Ok I get it if you own property and do not like hunting its your right and your ranch but to pay someone to chase animals to keep them on is just nuts
and to set up sheds to entice someone to collect em is dumb
Wonder if some para cord and a hook would retrieve the sheds lol is that trespassing
Thanks for the response I hunt Idaho and didnt know much about this issue or these people

Ok one more thought anyone know the law about flying a helicopter over a ranch to scoot elk one direction lol prob a bad Idea but funny thought

That type of attitude is beyond me Ok I get it if you own property and do not like hunting its your right and your ranch but to pay someone to chase animals to keep them on is just nuts
and to set up sheds to entice someone to collect em is dumb
Wonder if some para cord and a hook would retrieve the sheds lol is that trespassing
Thanks for the response I hunt Idaho and didnt know much about this issue or these people

That’s what happens when you commoditize wildlife, could be $25k jumping over that fence.

I will say that a good friend of mine has had quite the opposite experience with Wilk’s manager. The guy bent over backwards for him to help him find his elk that crossed the property line wounded, let him finish it off, helped him load it, etc.

Maybe just caught him on a good day.

Ok one more thought anyone know the law about flying a helicopter over a ranch to scoot elk one direction lol prob a bad Idea but funny thought
The law states you cannot hunt for 24 hours after your fly over....same applies to using a drone

I will say that a good friend of mine has had quite the opposite experience with Wilk’s manager. The guy bent over backwards for him to help him find his elk that crossed the property line wounded, let him finish it off, helped him load it, etc.

Maybe just caught him on a good day.

That's good to hear. I never met the manager, just witnessed the fence patrol crew in action.

I've emailed both the FWP and Forest Service about closing the roads on the NF adjacent to the west side of the N Bar. Heck, if we can't get to those elk, we might as well at least try to entice some of them off it. Right now, there's hardly a spot you can get over a mile away from a road, virtually killing the only publicly accessible elk habitat in the Little Snowies. That, maybe along with some prescribed burns, could go a long ways in at least getting to a portion of those elk, especially as the herd continues to grow and expand. If you agree, call or email the Lewis and Clark FS and put some pressure on them!

The law states you cannot hunt for 24 hours after your fly over....same applies to using a drone

Actually that is not what it says. If you fly for the purpose of spotting game, you are correct. If you fly directly into an area, you can hunt that same day

If they don't hunt the ranch, why do they care so much if elk hop the fence off of their ranch? If they really have that many one would think they'd be glad to see a few go over to the public. That many elk must take a toll on their grass crops

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back