Yeti GOBOX Collection

MT Ram

Excellent, excellent stuff. Thanks for sharing and inspiring us.

Congrats! I'm happy for ya buddy a great ram you harvested! What an adventure you had.

Last edited:
There’s so much effort into this hunt and so much story to tell. Congratulations. It’s not the ram you chased for so long but he’s gorgeous regardless. Can’t wait to see Jake’s pics.

This has been one of the best threads ever.

For real.

Unparalleled effort and skill and sacrifice of time and calories, mountain strippers, arguably earth’s most beautiful country, the celebration of others fascinating and awesome successes, backcountry kings, and big smiles. And, I hope it’s not even totally over.

It’s five in the morning on Thanksgiving, and I am thankful for this thread.

Congratulations Greenhorn, and thank you.

Back story on the left ear red tag ram from FWP biologist I got by email today - very interesting..

Hi all;
Just wanted to drop you all a note about a very interesting red-ear tagged ram which was harvested by hunter Jim Boorman yesterday. You’ve all been involved with this sheep in one way or another, so hope you are interested.

This ram (pictured here with Kurt Rued helping pack it out) had a red tag in its left ear. This caused us some confusion because Ed Coyle and Kevin Hurley and I have off and on been communicating about a left-ear-tag ram which shows up sometime at Jack Creek or along Highway 191 near Big Sky.

There were captures of bighorn in the Spanish Peaks in 2018 where we put a red ear tag in the left ear of a 2.5 year old ram. But the sightings of a really big older ram with a red ear tag just didn’t add up – how could this be that ram? Kevin and Ed and I went back and forth about the amount of growth observed between years… this maybe helps clear up that mystery!

The numbers on the ear tag of the ram Jim shot were really faint, I almost missed them. It was number 0475. This ram was transplanted from a capture site at Slide Inn/Quake Lake (southern end of the Madison Valley) to Wolf Creek as a part of our within-mountain range translocation project. The transplant happened in January 2015, and this ram was 2.5 at that time.

This is just the second known connection between the Hilgards sheep and the Spanish Peaks sheep. The first known connection was a young ewe transplanted in 2016. So that is pretty exciting. Our work helped reconnect these genetically similar native sheep herds which had been isolated for the last 40-50 years.

This ram scored about 176 7/8 (green, unofficial). He was a real beauty with a great back story. Thanks so much for Jim and his son for having the patience with me while I figured this story out!!

Thanks all for what you do, and please keep reporting sightings of ear-tagged sheep to me? With more reports, stories like this become more clear over time.

And good luck out there, Kurt! Hope to check your sheep soon!!

Julie
This is really cool. I’ve followed those transplant stories and I get to see the Hilgard herd on their winter range quite often. Wolf Creek is a long way from the Spanish Peaks.

Hell yes.

vOZYdQP.jpg

Great ending to the saga.

As soon as I clicked on New posts, I figured you got, This thread was right at the top and jumped 3 pages from last night.

Congratulations, nice ram, a great picture to cap off a marathon of a quest

I hope you are sleeping in on this turkey day.
Happy Thanksgiving! Tomorrow is sleep in day. Tyler and I are off to retrieve these. Yesterday the boned out fronts, bone in ribs, backstraps, tenderloins, and heart liver came out with head and cape. One more trip. Saw 3 mtn lions just before glassing sheep so hopefully nothing touched them.
4A742736-2415-4FD6-B25A-17812726704B.jpeg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back