Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MT opener

I am on an airplane headed to Minneapolis for a Vikings game. Used to look forward to the opener. Not so much anymore.
All I’m hearing is jealousy
Look at me. I’m from Colorado where there’s elk and we don't need half the year to run a success rate barely over single digits on mostly rag horns.
This is true, we used to kill pretty decent bulls in 2-3 days rifle hunting in Colorado and you had to pick your season/weapon. It didn’t take 2-3 weeks or maybe a half dozen weekends to get a shot. And I dang sure wasn’t hunting private, and some of those hunts were 2nd or 3rd season. Montana hunters want opportunity to carry their rifles for multiple weeks…… more than harvest is what the FWP says.

I don’t think he was jealous but more likely joking at our mismanagement practices.

How does the success rate compare between the two states?

When you actually dig into it and look at success rates and days per hunter it it’s pretty wild what we are able to get done out here in a 5 day season with 4 point antler restrictions it can make Montana look a little bleak in some contexts

When you actually dig into it and look at success rates and days per hunter it it’s pretty wild what we are able to get done out here in a 5 day season with 4 point antler restrictions it can make Montana look a little bleak in some contexts
I was thinking...Colorado: more elk, shorter season, more hunters...still higher success rate.
So more elk on more public ground?

Went for a long hike up to the top of a ridge I’ve never hunted before. Saw a ton of elk on private, no elk on public, no deer, and saw a damn nice black bear that I would have shot if given the chance. Not a bad day.

I was thinking...Colorado: more elk, shorter season, more hunters...still higher success rate.
So more elk on more public ground?

Hard to say really. We have a non insignificant issue with elk holed up on private. And issues with knowing how much of our success is skewed by private. But I would surmise that we probably do have more elk in public. Maybe.

Stats are always questionable. But taking them at face value, even if our success rate was equal to Montanas across the board for a 5 day season versus your what? 6 weeks? To me that alone says something pretty significant.

Wyoming has long seasons too and blows colorado success rates out of the water. Straight out of the water.

I just looked it up Colorado, overall total rifle, public and private land, cows and bulls...................23%

Reactions: Hem
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back