PEAX Equipment

MT opener

I haven't hunted the opener since 2019. That was a beautiful weather opener like this one (the 2020 and 2021 openers were snow storms). This year I backpacked-in Friday assuming it would be fruitless, but still enjoyable. Correct on both counts! I needed a night away in a tent by myself, and since most of what I do as a hunter is "take my rifle for a walk" this opener was fine with me.

Anyway, I love to hear the stories shared here by my fellow Montanan's. I'm not especially young, have killed a fair share of mountain bulls, and still enjoy getting out - but on my terms and in a slightly more relaxed way than when I was younger. Not that 62 is old... :)

Happy Sunday all, and @Greenhorn - always looking forward to your season my friend.

Hunted with the wife and tried filling her first cow tag. Had them close on Saturday right away, they got squirrelly and bunched up and she held off on the shot. Hour later had a 6 and 7 point bull at 100 yards, if only she had a bull permit.

I was successful this weekend in finding my arrow from my bull I shot last month.

Drove 3 hours east Friday night to go look at some mule deer does. Couple lopers on private. No mule deer bucks at all. Came home early and checked my local spots. No shooters but found a handful of bucks. Unfortunately they’ll be shot by weeks end.

I changed things up this year and drove west. Close to Bozeman. Holy smokes I was pleasantly surprised. Hundreds of deer. I even saw some big slammer bulls right in the middle of public. The extra windshield time is definitely worth it. The animals are out there you just really have to work for them.

I changed things up this year and drove west. Close to Bozeman. Holy smokes I was pleasantly surprised. Hundreds of deer. I even saw some big slammer bulls right in the middle of public. The extra windshield time is definitely worth it. The animals are out there you just really have to work for them.

See any 30 inch tall bucks?

Liar. 🤣

I’m only 1 person but never saw a single hunter around Bozeman, nor an elk on public. The Bozeman influencers all have leases in central and eastern MT, or are out that way - not hoofing it around here, which is great. They’re at least smart enough to know where time is wasted.
IMG_6010.jpeg
IMG_6041.jpeg
IMG_6019.jpeg

Last edited:
Liar. 🤣

I’m only 1 person but never saw a single hunter around Bozeman, nor an elk on public. The Bozeman influences all have leases in central and eastern MT, or are out that way - not hoofing it around here, which is great. They’re at least smart enough to know where time is wasted.
View attachment 298394
View attachment 298396
View attachment 298398
Had I known Jake had a river to cross, I could have sent him my barely used Klymit Litewater Dinghy.

IMG_0851.jpeg

Had I known Jake had a river to cross, I could have sent him my barely used Klymit Litewater Dinghy.

View attachment 298399
I was too pussy to cross with a heavy pack and antlers. I left that to Jake and my friend Brian who’s cozy on rivers from all his fishing. I wasn’t afraid of the water - just losing my pack and everything in it. Was belly deep in the middle.

Went out for a drive today, still feeling the end of covid for me. Didn't see but a couple rigs driving and I was about 8 or 9 miles in so I was surprised. New area and I'm used to being places with a constant traffic opening weekend.

Had fun, had to think and use the legs to get away from the rest of the orange. I know there’s a lot of elk in there but apparently everyone else does too. Archery wasn’t nearly as slammed so I thought i had an intellectual advantage. Turns out everyone rifle hunts. Even grandma.

Saw 4 bears, 2 marten 2 mule deer and a shit load of orange. Give me snow.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 75
I haven't hunted the opener since 2019. That was a beautiful weather opener like this one (the 2020 and 2021 openers were snow storms). This year I backpacked-in Friday assuming it would be fruitless, but still enjoyable. Correct on both counts! I needed a night away in a tent by myself, and since most of what I do as a hunter is "take my rifle for a walk" this opener was fine with me.

Anyway, I love to hear the stories shared here by my fellow Montanan's. I'm not especially young, have killed a fair share of mountain bulls, and still enjoy getting out - but on my terms and in a slightly more relaxed way than when I was younger. Not that 62 is old... :)

Happy Sunday all, and @Greenhorn - always looking forward to your season my friend.
I saw footprints in snow Saturday and I could only think, “brads up here”

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back