MT opener bull

PFUNK

Finally got a bull this year on opening day. Third year hunting Montana and my first elk. Came real close on several bigger bulls during the archery season but never got a good clean shot and never sent an arrow flying. Opening day of rifle I was hunting an area we have been seeing some whitetail bucks and happened to stumble onto this guy and 6 or 7 cows/calves. Tagged him in the lungs at about 160 yards and again as he was quartering away with the .243. Watched him get wobbly legs and tip over 50 yards later. Broke him all down with my girlfriend and MTPharmHunter came and helped pack him out. Pretty pumped the monkey is off my back. Here are some pictures.
elk.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

Good for you! Didn't anyone tell you that .243 bullets bounce off of animals?

Congratulations on your first bull! What kind of bullet did you use? I have shot dozens of deer and antelope with the 100-gr. Hornady Spire-Point but always used a bigger cartridge for elk.

Congratulations on your first bull! What kind of bullet did you use? I have shot dozens of deer and antelope with the 100-gr. Hornady Spire-Point but always used a bigger cartridge for elk.

Guess i may catch crap for this but i just shoot plain old winchester 100 grain power points. Never had a rifle when i was growing up because we couldn't use rifles in that part of Minnesota. But when i moved to MT my grandpa let me borrow a .243 he had so thats all I have. I decided it was better to have that than nothing at all and limit my shots to a couple hundred yards and good broadside or quartering angles. It worked out though! One shot passed through and the other was in the rib cage on the opposite side. Bullets seemed to hold together pretty well which was a concern of mine but I feel pretty good about it now as long as the shot is a smart one to take.

Last edited:
Congratulations. That monkey can hold on really tight but once he's off of you good things start to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back