Leupold Banner

MT NR 10% Allocation

Flatrock

I'm hoping somebody can clear up how MT allocates their 10% of tags to non residents for elk and deer. To sidestep, it is my understanding that for sheep, 10% of tags can go NR's in each REGION. Not 10% of each hunting district but by region. Is that how it's done for deer and elk as well? If a unit has 100 tags available, can a maximum of 10 tags be drawn by NR's or could it potentially be higher when you consider the rest of the tags available in the region.

I listened to Randy's podcast and he said it was 10% of each unit for elk. Maybe they just do it different for sheep?

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
For deer and elk the 10% cap is by Hunt Code. For moose, sheep, and goats, the 10% cap is applied by Region.

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
On a related note are the Come Home To Hunt and Nonresident Native tags part of that 10% or not?

Nope, given they are general tags. The 10% quota does not apply to general licenses. Those programs, along with the deer/elk combo are statutory numbers set by the legislature with no 10% cap.

Bambistew

It's "up to" 10%, not a set quota. Most special draw tags average 8-9% going to NR, very few make 10%. Sheep is about 5-6%. Last I looked there was about 8000nr applying and on average they have been receiving about 8-9 ram tags a year.

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Randy. How about nonresident landowner tags? Do those come out of the 10% quota?

15% of limited entry elk tags go to landowners in a separate draw. I am not sure about deer and antelope, but I suspect the same for them. Looking at the draw results it seems there is not a 10% quota in that landowner pool, but I could be wrong on that. Maybe there just were not enough resident landowners who applied in some units.

Flatrock

15% of limited entry elk tags go to landowners in a separate draw. I am not sure about deer and antelope, but I suspect the same for them. Looking at the draw results it seems there is not a 10% quota in that landowner pool, but I could be wrong on that. Maybe there just were not enough resident landowners who applied in some units.

Ok. So nonresident land owner tags do NOT count towards the 10% NR quota? They are lumped into the landowner pool and completely separate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gunstar