Caribou Gear

MT Moose Unit 104

sra61

So, I spent 10 days total from just after I found out I drew the tag in June to the weekend before the season opened Mon. 9/15. I talked to the head biologist for region 1. And she seemed to think the moose keyed mostly on recent clearcuts. I found a lot of old sign, probably winter type sign on those roads, but no fresh sign at all. I walked a lot, and drove a lot. I saw a wolf at about 10 yds. that I didn't shoot because it wasn't open yet. I had seen fresh tracks in two places a couple of months ago. One was in a swampy spot by a road and I heard there has been a bull sighted there. The second was a track I saw right in a creek bottom in July. I went back to look on Sun., and sure enough I found another, so continued searching and found a fresh bed and the first fresh droppings I have seen since looking! As I continued up the drainage I found a place where it looked like for sure more than one moose, and as I looked where they had gone into the darker timber and thought that would be a good place to bed, all hell broke loose. One or two snorted and went left and the one that went right sounded like he had an oak 2x12 strapped to the top of his head as he crashed through the brush. I never got to see him, but he had to be big to make that much noise with his rack. This country is jungle boys! They were no more than maybe 30 yards away and I never saw hide nor hair! I backed out and hunted elsewhere Mon. evening and Tues. morning just to hopefully let them settle down. Tues. morning I came across a big bull track with a cow and calf track too, in a completely different drainage, also right down by the creek. This bull leaves dewclaw marks every track. He's got size and weight. It has been hot, upper 70's in there, so movement during daylight has been minimal. I went back to hunt the bull I jumped Mon. on Tues. evening. I waited for the evening thermals to change to down drainage and then headed the 1.5 miles through jungle to where he had been bedding. I had about 2 hrs. to sit. About 45 minutes from last light I heard a lot of crashing behind me in the creek, and stood up to see a couple of teenage kids with backpacks. They saw me and waved and hollered, "Hunting?". I told them yes and they turned around and went back the way they had come. I watched and they were throwing big rocks into the creek to try to cross on, which only worked to make a lot of noise. I waited the last minutes until dark and then walked out in the dark. I climbed on the ATV and headed up the road towards my truck and about a mile up the road here are the two teenage boys in the pitch black dark starting a fire in the middle of the road! They didn't have a flashlight, and had heard something big in the road ahead of them and scared the crap out of them, so they decided a fire might spook it off. They didn't have a vehicle. They had 80 lb. packs full of rocks that they had picked up in the creek, apparently looking for gold. There are a lot of old mines in the area. Their Dad had dropped them off and was supposed to pick them up at dark which had long ago come and gone. We put the fire out and I loaded them up on the ATV, and we headed up the hill. No Dad there, so I loaded the ATV up and drove them into town, and took them home, which was 5 miles W. of Troy. I told them I only wanted one thing for the ride: that was a phone call to the number on my card if they saw a big bull moose in their travels in those creek bottoms. They were eager to agree to that. I was a little disgusted with the evening's events and decided to head home for a few days, and return next week for an extended time, just a little closer to the rut. I was actually pretty happy to have located two different bulls even though I didn't get to see one, I know they are there. I may take three weeks. It just depends how long it takes to find one that I can actually see. It seems like calling will be the best shot, since it's so thick in there. It's actually pretty much like the B.C. and Alberta country I hunted in the past. I kind of thought it was interesting that both bulls are with cows and calves already. I have to say, I am totally enjoying being able to walk around the woods with a moose tag and a rifle in my hands and have ten whole weeks to be able to do it! I truly hope to come home with a big bull, but even if I don't, I'm gonna love every minute of it! And it won't be because I didn't give 'er hell. I lost 50 lbs. and went from a 42" to 34" jeans, and I'm doing this thing all by my lonesome.

Sounds like it has been an adventure already. I'll be back home in a little over a week. let me know if you ever get a little further south and want to meet up and look over maps. I can show you all the spots I found fresh sign and saw moose.

Sounds like it has been an adventure already. I'll be back home in a little over a week. let me know if you ever get a little further south and want to meet up and look over maps. I can show you all the spots I found fresh sign and saw moose.
Sounds good. How far south?

I ran over yesterday for a day trip. Get a load of this. Last Tuesday after coming across those kids and giving them a ride into town, apparently in the rush to rearrange the truck to get the kids in, I had leaned my rifle in the gun boot against a rear tire and ended up leaving the thing there in the dark!!! I didn't figure that out until Sat. night when I was getting that truck ready to go for Sunday morning! I left at 4:30 AM for Troy and when I got to the turnout where I was parked there it was right in plain sight! I couldn't friggin believe it! It was out there for 4 days, and no one picked it up! I thin k I should go buy a lottery ticket. So as for the moose, I went in to where I had jumped the bull last Monday, and called a little and got no response. There are fresh tracks in good numbers and fresh crap so they are there, but it is still real hot, in the 80's yesterday, so I think they are totally nocturnal. I don't blame them it was still pretty damn hot when I walked out in the dark. I sweated plenty coming out. We had a guy take the week off unexpectedly so I am working most of the week so the guys don't get overwhelmed. Patience is a virtue!

Wow. You're very blessed that your gun was still there! Can't wait to see the pics of your moose!

Keep after it!! Cant wait to see what you end up tagging! I've always wanted a tag for that unit. I know the adjacent unit in Idaho has some tanker bulls in it!!

Good luck!!!

So I hunted Wed., Thurs., And Fri. Still haven't seen a moose. I haven't had any response to a call either. I do come across fresh sign it seems like every day. I think the heat just had them so shut down they weren't moving until after dark. It makes me a little nervous. I know a guy that had 3 bulls come to a grunt up the N. Fork Flathead last weekend and the gal killed a 48" bull. I went to the Troy ranger district to see if anyone had a better idea and I actually got "I didn't know there were moose in there!" Wow that's inspiring. They tell me I'm doing what I need to do. Yeah except for seeing moose! I know it's pretty early, I'm heading back over tomorrow afternoon until I find one or need a break. I had to come home today for the Wolf Trapping certification class.

There are very few moose in this unit and Imo they are up high in the thick stuff.

I'm starting to understand this now, I believe. After running into a young guy yesterday up fairly high on a road that had one of these moose tags last year, and chatting with him for a while he told me that the hunting up there was dependent on snow. One of the interesting things about Moose Unit 104 is that most of the ridges do not top out in Montana, they continue well into Idaho, which throws a little monkey wrench into the works. Because of that fact there is no way to access those moose that do hang way high unless and until good snow comes. There are a few moose down lower, but man it is a needle in a really big haystack! I had to come home for a couple of days to do some work and I hate using vacation time if it's not going to be productive. I still haven't seen a moose, and have not had a response to calling. When I head back over here Thurs. or Fri. I plan to stay a while until the rut should be done. I'm a little bit concerned that I may not even know it's happening! I did see a bobcat running up the road right beside me on the ATV, I could have reached over and grabbed him. That would have been fun! I also saw a 5 point bull elk crossing the highway. That's another thing. I haven't heard one single elk bugle: not one! I have seen some fresh elk sign. They must have learned to be silent to steer clear of the wolves. I will continue on.

Keep at it, heat just pushes animals into cooler pockets, either heavy shade, near water or up high as has been said, and often these places make them hard to glass or locate. I don't believe animals will go nocturnal, they just move later in the day and are living in areas that make them hard to see.
I would be getting up high if you can above any areas where you have been seeing sign and regularly throw calls out into different valleys, heat or no heat the bulls will have to make an effort and respond to calls when the time is right.
Have you tried calling at night, just to get a response and then shutdown your calls so at least you know you have something to start on pre dawn?

Sounds good. How far south?

I just got back home to Trout Creek. I'll send you a pm with my number. I finally have some free time on my hands and could probably make it up there sometime. We have been thinking of heading up there this weekend to kayak the Bull River if the weather is as nice as they are predicting. If we do, I could probably meet you at the Halfway House by Bull Lake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back