MT Governor's Sheep Tag

I know it isn't a fair comparison, and I am not interested in debating the utility of auction tags, but the first thing that comes to mind when I hear about dudes hiring dudes to find a particular individual animal and keep track of it and then take them to it, outside of how lame and embarrassing that should be, is what Jim Posewitz said about game farms.

"The worst crime is that it prostitutes and trivializes both hunting and wild game animals."
Perfectly illustrates why I don't care for Gov's tags. Turns the entre state into a game farm.

I recently spent twelve days in the Wyoming backcountry where it is no longer legal to fly for the purpose of locating game. Not a small plane heard or seen buzzing among the peaks in those 12 days. Montana might benefit from a similar law. But, I suspect the legislature will have much higher priorities when they convene in January.
I would be careful with this legislation, Could also be used to restrict flying in for access.

I would be careful with this legislation, Could also be used to restrict flying in for access.

It could, but there are easily placed sideboards that would exclude harassments for someone who flies in for hunting.

We had trouble getting a drone bill passed in 2015. That would have disallowed drones for spotting game & harassing hunters. We failed to get bills passed that would put more sideboards on how outfitters use technology, and ended up getting screwed on a bill that now allows people to ostensibly shoot from a vehicle. We couldn't even get the bill that makes it illegal to sell GPS locations of trophy animals passed.

If you look to the Montana Legislature to pass bills that limit how people use technology to increase their odds of harvesting book animals or profitting off of them, then you're going to be deeply disappointed.

Wyoming figured out how to navigate this slippery slope and it only took 2 sentences.

No person shall use any aircraft with the intent to spot, locate and aid in the taking of any game animal from August 1 through January 31 of the following calendar year. Nothing in this Section shall apply to the operation of an aircraft in a usual manner where there is no attempt or intent to locate any game animal, such as aircraft used for the sole purpose of passenger transport.

Wyoming figured out how to navigate this slippery slope and it only took 2 sentences.

No person shall use any aircraft with the intent to spot, locate and aid in the taking of any game animal from August 1 through January 31 of the following calendar year. Nothing in this Section shall apply to the operation of an aircraft in a usual manner where there is no attempt or intent to locate any game animal, such as aircraft used for the sole purpose of passenger transport.
I hear @JM77 works for pretty cheap consulting fees...

What would be even more amazing is if B&C would grow a set of balls and step up against the use of aircraft to spot any game. Its all fine and dandy as long as you don't spot the "one" you intend to shoot. They say that guides can use aircraft for locating and checking populations of game in their area. The amount of big sheep and moose killed in AK with the use of a plane is stupid. You probably even saw a few of them posted this year that had cub tracks across their back... but the shooter was none the wiser. Some guides would go out of business

No I’m referring to the MT elk hunter with governors tag and flying...

Been spending some time in 680 looking for sheep this year. Have seen two well known planes on several occasions. Once while scoping out some rams. A few close circles pushed those rams into hiding quickly.

Been spending some time in 680 looking for sheep this year. Have seen two well known planes on several occasions. Once while scoping out some rams. A few close circles pushed those rams into hiding quickly.
I would love to see ariel scouting curtailed, but some times those close circles can tell a person on the ground where he needs to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back