MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

MT Governor's Sheep Tag

golfer

Just curious if anyone knows what Montana's Governor's Sheep tag went for at the Sheep Show a few weeks back?

If I draw a breaks sheep Licence can I sell it for 300K?
If we are going to bend the rules on filling your elk tag during the season, why can't I bend them a little on licence transferring.
If I drew a breaks tag there isn’t any amount I’d sell it for. Some things you can put a price on.

If I draw a breaks sheep Licence can I sell it for 300K?
If we are going to bend the rules on filling your elk tag during the season, why can't I bend them a little on licence transferring.
Shoulda submitted a comment stating that’s what you wanted. Doesn’t matter if they asked about it or not. Everything was on the table apparently.

In all seriousness though, we aren’t that far from landowner elk tags in Montana. That would roll right into landowner bighorn tags pretty nicely. Tidy little paycheck and boost to land values in the breaks eh.

It was $310

there were some high prices.
Someone paid 91k for an AZ antelope license.
In comparison, I sat at the table with a guy while he bought a statewide az antelope license at the AZ Antelope Foundation banquet last year. He paid around 15k.

Shoulda submitted a comment stating that’s what you wanted. Doesn’t matter if they asked about it or not. Everything was on the table apparently.

In all seriousness though, we aren’t that far from landowner elk tags in Montana. That would roll right into landowner bighorn tags pretty nicely. Tidy little paycheck and boost to land values in the breaks eh.
Might be a good way to cut down on the number of domestics. I bet you could make a lot more money selling bighorns than you could selling poor tasting meat and wool.

Last edited:
Might be a good way to cut down on the number of range maggots. I bet you could make a lot more money selling bighorns than you could selling poor tasting meat and wool.
This idea I am for. If we can displace domestic sheep in favor of wild sheep I’m all for it.

Hopefully the MT gov elk tag get filled soon. They found a bull and have a plane in the air to locate it again for the "hunter". They soon need to use the plane for sheep in the breaks, so stressful time for hunters and guides alike. They paid for it and it "benefits" wildlife, why not?:rolleyes:

Hopefully the MT gov elk tag get filled soon. They found a bull and have a plane in the air to locate it again for the "hunter". They soon need to use the plane for sheep in the breaks, so stressful time for hunters and guides alike. They paid for it and it "benefits" wildlife, why not?:rolleyes:

I know it isn't a fair comparison, and I am not interested in debating the utility of auction tags, but the first thing that comes to mind when I hear about dudes hiring dudes to find a particular individual animal and keep track of it and then take them to it, outside of how lame and embarrassing that should be, is what Jim Posewitz said about game farms.

"The worst crime is that it prostitutes and trivializes both hunting and wild game animals."

Last edited:
What kind of intel do you have on either of the tags? Who are the proud owners of each tag?

I recently spent twelve days in the Wyoming backcountry where it is no longer legal to fly for the purpose of locating game. Not a small plane heard or seen buzzing among the peaks in those 12 days. Montana might benefit from a similar law. But, I suspect the legislature will have much higher priorities when they convene in January.

That definitely gets annoying. Good news for the elk is they’ve been trying to kill that bull for two years and can’t seem to pull it off. So chances are he’ll slip away once again....hopefully.

That definitely gets annoying. Good news for the elk is they’ve been trying to kill that bull for two years and can’t seem to pull it off. So chances are he’ll slip away once again....hopefully.
Depends on whose land they find him on.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back