Caribou Gear

MT FWP Hunter Survey Calls 2021

BirdManMike

The caller Id says 'FWPHRVSTSURVEY' this year. Not some random number.

In contrast to previous years, they asked me about every one of my tags. How many days spent for each, which region(s) for each, harvest success for each, number of pts for each. They also asked me about upland birds - number of days, species, harvest number, region(s).

They asked about muzzleloader hunting. Which I did, but did during the general season for my 2 deer as in previous seasons.

Vast improvement to previous years.

I was called yesterday, I was not home,but my wife took the call, and answered the questions as best she could. She did not know the aria number so the girl doing the survay asked for the closest town. My wife replied Ashland, Montana, and the girl said ok, aria 702. That would be wrong.

I been called 5 times in my life. Nothing special. More of a joke

Not sure if possible, but we should have them add hours on travel to Helena, online testimony, in person testimony at regional offices. Hunting days vs testimony days in a given season would be a interesting ratio to track on a year over year basis.

Missed a call last week. After last year's caller I have little faith anything useful comes from the survey.

The gentleman I spoke with repeatedly asked the question and then guessed at an answer before I could respond. I corrected him multiple times on units, species, and sex before giving up. He seemed more interested in finishing the survey/call than actually getting answers.

Called me from a Bozeman number two weekends ago and didn’t want to hear about any species other than deer. Lady said they’d call about elk at a later date?

I was called Friday. I get a call every year. It was the most in depth survey I’ve ever done.

They asked about deer, elk, and antelope. Also asked if I saw any wolf or moose and asked for location of those sightings.

Had a message left about a month ago missed the call when I was in a meeting . I’ve never ever been asked about elk just deer . I’ve had a Montana elk tag many many many times

This yr they added moose, wolves seen, location ect. I was honest. God forbid, i didnt count the moose on private. That i seen.

Got the call during the Commission meeting. I told them I was unavailable the the reason why. Maybe I will get another call, but doubtful.:unsure:

I got called again last week by a super nice guy he asked me about my deer tags but never about elk . Told him I never fired a shot at deer in 8 days . He said oh didn’t u see any I said yes but all young deer . He said he was getting that response a lot .

Montana sells about 250,000 hunting licenses each year. The email I received said the sample size of the survey this year was 100,000. I'm not sure if that was calls or answers, but regardless, it is should end up with a very reasonable sample size. I wonder (i.e. don't have a good reason) why if you answer the phone they ask about one animal but not another if they knew you had a permit.

Yes, mandatory electronic report would give better data, and probably be cheaper in the long run.

Just received a call about elk harvest survey from Mt. FWP.
After the nice lady introduced herself and the reason for the call, I responded with "you're not calling to tell me FWP screwed up the draw?" She quickly responded with an "OMG" and "RIGHT"🤣 She said her own household is impacted by it. I myself am not impacted, but we both had a good laugh then proceeded with the harvest survey.
Gotta love surveying previous year harvest after the this years draw, only FPW.

I got the call for elk the other day and I rambled off the districts that I hunted and the number of days. The lady said " oh, it is nice that you know the district numbers, a lot of people don't."

When you think about that, it makes sense that hunters don't know the regs. Some don't even know the district that they are in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back