Caribou Gear

MT ELK, Changing it up?

Anyone know what this means? This standard language on agendas? Does this mean they are not taking public comment on these proposals when the Commission meets on the 14th?

I'm confused. Link here - https://fwp.mt.gov/binaries/content...021/agenda/december-14-2021-public-agenda.pdf

View attachment 204938
It is standard language. The open meeting law allows public comment on agenda action items, for which the Commission will vote ("take action"). Usually the comment is taken after discussion by the voting body and sometime prior to the vote. It appears that comment will be allowed as the Commission addresses "2022 Deer, Elk, and Antelope Hunting Regulations Draft" prior to taking any action on the draft. It is unclear if the vote will be on the 2022 comprehensive draft or on individual proposals for each species. In particular, it would be helpful to address the "Elk Justification Document" and the "Elk Master List" as that is the meat of proposals which are the issue of this thread and the idea so widely and adamantly opposed by so many.

Public comment on matters not listed on the agenda is allowed during "Public Comment - On Issues Not On the Agenda" is the appropriate time to voice opinions and positions on matters / issues not listed on the agenda. This agenda lists that time as a being just prior to adjournment.

F&G opened up a period of time where sportsmen and landowner could provide input or options on correcting the problem of those areas over objective. Is there a place or link that one can go and look at the ideas submitted? Also, Is their current proposal one that came out of those submitted? My instincts tell me that this current proposal is a product of the very wealthy large non-resident elk ranches and all the meetings and public comment may not make a difference in what is decided. Albeit, I will be there on Tuesday!

....it would however appear that one must take a full day off work, sit through the 7 hour long meeting, waiting for the opportunity to speak on the issue.
Not any different in most western states Commissions. Not that big of an ask for something of this consequence. If you believe the thoughts of most on this thread, this change will single handedly destroy elk hunting in MT. One day of vacation and possibly a hotel room for a night seems a small price to pay for the future of MT elk.

RMEF Statement

“Specific to the proposals recently shared by FWP, RMEF has concerns regarding the proposed reduction in limited entry permits on public lands and corresponding increase in general licenses available on private lands. Our primary concern is that this proposal has not been sufficiently vetted with stakeholders and additional engagement is necessary to ensure such a change would provide an effective outcome.”

It’s more than I was expecting.

If you want to see what we're up against trying to change some of the entrenched ideas in Montana, this is an interesting exercise if you have FB. I told my social media firm to post the four points that started this thread and see what responses we get.

Today's post was point #2 about stopping hunts for cow elk on public land. If you're bored and need some entertainment, this should give a few minutes of relief - https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=449562239872949&set=a.277498093746032

If you want to see what we're up against trying to change some of the entrenched ideas in Montana, this is an interesting exercise if you have FB. I told my social media firm to post the four points that started this thread and see what responses we get.

Today's post was point #2 about stopping hunts for cow elk on public land. If you're bored and need some entertainment, this should give a few minutes of relief - https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=449562239872949&set=a.277498093746032

“But why can’t we kill cow elk on public land for 6 months straight? How is that pushing elk to private?” Good lord it’s not even worth the energy to try and show them. I wasted part of a morning trying to explain it to a guy. I did finally get through to a friend and he’s flipped a 180 on his stance now

Tomorrow ought to be interesting when we've schedule the post where I suggest shorter seasons and eliminate the shoulder seasons.
You woke up and choke violence… Things are about to get spicy.

I commend you for trying and I hope people start to listen.

Tomorrow ought to be interesting when we've schedule the post where I suggest shorter seasons and eliminate the shoulder seasons.
Is number 4 where you limit technology and allow only roundballs? That would help a bunch... :)

You woke up and choke violence… Things are about to get spicy.

I commend you for trying and I hope people start to listen.
Wait until later this winter I post a suggestion that we change mule deer hunting to "pick your region" and take the seasons out of November. I'll likely need protective services.

Wait until later this winter I post a suggestion that we change mule deer hunting to "pick your region" and take the seasons out of November. I'll likely need protective services.

Been down that road. The average hunter thinks there’s no problem and that he or she should get to fill their 6 doe tags every year. Even seen posts on Facebook this year of people hoping they extend rifle through December

The average hunter thinks there’s no problem and that he or she should get to fill their 6 doe tags every year.
A vast majority seem to not understand sustainability which is really sad. It's just take until there's nothing left. I think many hunters need to be honest with themselves, do they "need" an animal or do they "want" an animal. I get people want an animal for the freezer but if it's to the detriment of the population, what's the point? Now I understand that's why we have management policies, to manage the take of animals to what the population can sustain, but that seems to be thrown out the window lately. Although I applaud the biologists for some of the steps they took in the district proposals. They want to cut mule deer opportunity in an area I hunt to let the population recover but it was disheartening to see some hunters fight that idea.

Some people may actually need that animal to feed their family but it seems like a lot of people lately just want to shoot something.

I did finally get through to a friend and he’s flipped a 180 on his stance now
And I think this is a really good way to go about it. I helped change a family member's mind and now he has gone to spread the word to his friends. Hopefully the word just keeps traveling. Not everyone will agree but I think people at least take the time to listen or to look into the situation.

I can't even look at the FB comments on some of these pages. The logic is just mind boggling. The Montana Hunting DIY page is probably some of the worst of it.

A vast majority seem to not understand sustainability which is really sad. It's just take until there's nothing left. I think many hunters need to be honest with themselves, do they "need" an animal or do they "want" an animal. I get people want an animal for the freezer but if it's to the detriment of the population, what's the point? Now I understand that's why we have management policies, to manage the take of animals to what the population can sustain, but that seems to be thrown out the window lately. Although I applaud the biologists for some of the steps they took in the district proposals. They want to cut mule deer opportunity in an area I hunt to let the population recover but it was disheartening to see some hunters fight that idea.

Some people may actually need that animal to feed their family but it seems like a lot of people lately just want to shoot something.

And I think this is a really good way to go about it. I helped change a family member's mind and now he has gone to spread the word to his friends. Hopefully the word just keeps traveling. Not everyone will agree but I think people at least take the time to listen or to look into the situation.

I can't even look at the FB comments on some of these pages. The logic is just mind boggling. The Montana Hunting DIY page is probably some of the worst of it.

But in their defense if the people who are paid to “manage” the animals keep pumping out the tags why shouldn’t they believe everything is great

But in their defense if the people who are paid to “manage” the animals keep pumping out the tags why shouldn’t they believe everything is great
That's a good point.
But I also see people bashing FWP biologists, saying they don't know anything. So at this point I have no idea who they trust for management. Anecdotal evidence maybe. I agree though, if the opportunity for lots of tags is there, it will be seen as things are great.

“But why can’t we kill cow elk on public land for 6 months straight? How is that pushing elk to private?” Good lord it’s not even worth the energy to try and show them. I wasted part of a morning trying to explain it to a guy. I did finally get through to a friend and he’s flipped a 180 on his stance now
Maybe the issue isn’t a political pendulum so much as it’s stupidity.

I’ll cover you.

I’ll cover you.
im in, better buy stock in companies that make good bipods ,
.the " montana tripod" or truck window, by common name, gonna be a thing of the past. hunting mule deer bucks in october,,,,

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back