Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MT Block Mgmt. Maps

Steelhead

Does anybody know where a guy could find a map(s) of block management lands in MT. I figure that they change from year to year... Does MT have them on the website? I would like to start planning for this years hunt. Thanks.

The new maps don't come out until usually late August. You may be able to get some of the 2009 maps from the Regional offices, depending on what areas you are looking for.
I don't think they are online..at least I haven't seen them. I've always picked them up at the Regional offices or called and ordered.

There's a list online of the different block management areas, but no maps. I've always got them before by calling the region headquarters and having them mail them to me.

The map that the F&G will give you is not very detailed at all. The scale is too big to show anything besides a 'number' for the property. You can look up the size of the property, but will likely have to get a map from the owner when you show up.

IMO block management isn't all its cracked up to be. There are some good ranches to hunt, but its been my experience that most of the LO let as many people on thier place as are willing to show up. I believe they get paid by the hunter day. So more hunters equals more money. Some do put a limit on how many people they allow on a given day, however I've been burned more times than not on that promiss too. Usually they say "oh there'll be just you and one other group". When you show up don't be surprised to see half a dozen others people hunting it. Personally I think Block Management gets hunted as hard or harder than public land.

I have killed a few antelope on BM, but did just as good on public and had less head aches.

Good luck on your hunt.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/privateLand/blockman/faq.html#electronicMaps
Q. Why aren't the individual BMA maps available electronically on the Web site?A. Block Management contractual agreements between landowners and FWP are focused on managing hunting activities and hunter pressure in ways that encourage the private landowner to allow public hunting. Every BMA has rules specific to that BMA, including how hunters may gain access, what procedures a hunter has to use to secure permission, etc. FWP commits to every enrolled landowner that, to the best of the Department's ability, every hunter who hunts on the BMA will have in hand a copy of the BMA map with the BMA rules printed on it, and every hunter will follow the BMA rules that apply to that BMA.

The Department and landowners are concerned that if maps are displayed electronically on the Web site, many of the individual BMA hunter management systems that are the fundamental reason landowners have agreed to participate in the program may be compromised, with hunters simply viewing the map and traveling to the BMA or contacting the landowner without realizing that very specific rules may apply to that BMA.

I have not run into as large an issue as Bambi though I suppose that may be due to lower pressure around public lands in the areas I hunt.
From speaking with the LO's, I involve with, I find those whom I appreciate for them opening their land to me do not do it for the $... Their actions are more for promotting opportunities versus privately - due to the liability protection MT Gov't (FWP) provides. I believe the MOST any LO can make is about 12K and, if I am not mistaken, the $ deals with the qty of land they open for use along with qty of hunters and tags filled.

It is unfortunate when hunters given this privilage do not respect the LO's property... Once case comes to mind - a LO that provided access through and on his property had his duck decoys stolen! Unfortunate as it bordered him removing his BM status due to such ignorance of the few - and personally don't blame him for his actions.
One LO actually took the time to mark on my map location(s) of mud holes (wallows). A super nice family.

Some I find have limits on the qty of hunters permitted and I know to contact him to arrange a date. Specific areas for parking vehicles, etc.

It is one of the best steps forward, in my opinion, by FWP and LO's to date.

For maps, I tend to pull up my own 7.5 min maps of the LO's area I have interest in. I visit the regional office in my area and browse the BM's available - take those that fit my interest then map out their boundries from the BM map to my 7.5min - and mark the corners on my GPS. Seems to work well for me.

Best of success in your venture with BM LO's Steelhead!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back