MT archery elk - We're baaack!

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it either. I just hope that if they do an exchange that they do it on the ranch out there and not on some other location. There are a couple great options they could exhcange for out there already that currently have some small public access already. I'm afraid they are going to trade this incredible elk, turkey, deer, bear habitat for some dryland crap that isn't even close to equal value. Seems to me that usually in these types of trades the government agency consents to trading out for inferior parcels. Like I said there already is a perfect chunk of blm and state that you could ajoin to for trading purposes. It would have similar animal numbers and habitat and be fair.
The BLM is in the drivers seat but I'm not thinking they will hold their ground. Hopefully many of the locals with show up and raise a stink. These landowners have deeper pockets than just about anyone in Montana and I fear this will sway the powers at be.

I've heard rumor about trading for some pieces out in the Breaks but I'm praying that isn't the case. This area is about the most unique and incredible elk and deer habitat in the state. Let's make them trade out for another part in this awesome place and the public then can use it without having to helicopter in. Not holding my breath

I've posted this here a 100 times. Rarely does the public get a good deal on land exchanges. Having worked on several, the public usually takes it in the shorts.

Land Swap

Land in Little Snowys which has to be flown into and other BLM land will be swapped for all Private south Cow Island Trail, and east three mile. It is a great trade for them and it cannot be stopped. It also is a good trade for someone that would like access to thousands of acres of hunting that is like a desert with few Deer and Elk. You will not have to fly into this BLM after the land swap. NET WORTH does matter. Land swap will open up land for thousands of hunters while taking away land that is hunted by few!!!

Land in Little Snowys which has to be flown into and other BLM land will be swapped for all Private south Cow Island Trail, and east three mile. It is a great trade for them and it cannot be stopped. It also is a good trade for someone that would like access to thousands of acres of hunting that is like a desert with few Deer and Elk. You will not have to fly into this BLM after the land swap. NET WORTH does matter. Land swap will open up land for thousands of hunters while taking away land that is hunted by few!!!

Source?

I have an email into a few people there at the BLM so maybe they can shed some light. Dang, I wish I would have read this thread a few days ago because I would most certainly gone to the meeting. I guess that's what I get for being out of town so much lately.

Land Swap

Insider information with an email to head of BLM with a response!! Thats what the meeting is about?

Like I said before they could certainly swap the 3,000 acre piece for another 3000 that adjoings currently accessible BLM. Thousands of acres would still be huntalble by the general public. So you saying thousands of acres out in the desert isn't too convincing. Unless you have personally hunted in this area you have no idea what you are going to be missing with the trade. This is some of the most productive elk,deer,bear,turkey habitat in the state.
The Breaks are nice but not worth leaving this area for. The public is getting screwed if they don't swap for land in the same area.

Like I said before they could certainly swap the 3,000 acre piece for another 3000 that adjoings currently accessible BLM. Thousands of acres would still be huntalble by the general public. So you saying thousands of acres out in the desert isn't too convincing. Unless you have personally hunted in this area you have no idea what you are going to be missing with the trade. This is some of the most productive elk,deer,bear,turkey habitat in the state.
The Breaks are nice but not worth leaving this area for. The public is getting screwed if they don't swap for land in the same area.

Lawnboy, there are more than a few good elk and deer in this "desert". Oh yeh, a few 200" rams hang out in the "desert" as well.:D

Lawnboy, there are more than a few good elk and deer in this "desert". Oh yeh, a few 200" rams hang out in the "desert" as well.:D

I know I know :D I'm just really hooked on this area and think it would be a shame to drop the chance to re trade in the same area.

Are you familar with the area mentioned for trade in the Breaks? What are your thoughts? I know you're going to be a little biased being a "desert rat" from that area ;)

Are you familar with the area mentioned for trade in the Breaks? What are your thoughts? I know you're going to be a little biased being a "desert rat" from that area ;)

I know the area very well. Hopefully something can be worked out. Not sure if this exchange is the best way, but it is an option on the table.

Ok word on the street is yesterday was a quarterly public Resource Advisor Coucil meeting. They say what we've been hearing is rumors and misinformation. Currently there are no land swaps/trades on the table and if there were BLM would have to go through the entire NEPA process which would take a very long time with lots of public comment.

Last edited:
land swap

Ok word on the street is yesterday was a quarterly public Resource Advisor Coucil meeting. They say what we've been hearing is rumors and misinformation. Currently there are no land swaps/trades on the table and if there were BLM would have to go through the entire NEPA process which would take a very long time with lots of public comment.

Sit Back and Watch!!!! its DONE!!! mark this post.

Sit Back and Watch!!!! its DONE!!! mark this post.

Okay bro, I'm marking it. I work in state government, and I have a hard time believing a federal agency can pull off a covert land swap. Federal law requires public comment period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back