Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Moving to Wyoming (Looking for advice).

“We are also trying to network and make contacts with folks from all walks of life as well.” 🤔

I think you really mean “all walks of life within 47.6% of the population”, correct? Just making sure everyone is on the same page. Would hate for you to move to a town that doesn’t meet those standards.
Hopefully the pick is Sheridan...he'll be in for a "culture" shock.

I don’t see eye to eye with the Albany county assessor. Like it was already stated, small towns are nice but they stay small for a reason. Can you live without a Walmart and without fast food close by. Those decisions should be part of your thought process. The outdoor recreation is available everywhere. Living in the mountains is great but my experience has been nothing short of the complete opposite of those fantasies people tell me they see on tv. That said, I wanted that, so I have no ground to complain on. What does your family want? I wouldn’t worry about the “two counties” in Wyoming either.

“We are also trying to network and make contacts with folks from all walks of life as well.” 🤔

I think you really mean “all walks of life within 47.6% of the population”, correct? Just making sure everyone is on the same page. Would hate for you to move to a town that doesn’t meet those standards.
My goal is clear. To leave the strong blue state of Oregon. So I won't be moving to one of the only two blue counties in a strong Red State. I have many others areas to choose from. Since this is a free country, I have the right to consider that when making my decision.

That said. Networking and making contacts with "all walks of life" is what I meant. Since you can get a better idea of how the future might play out in that area, by getting information from everyone. So that is what I'm doing. While I might fundamentally disagree with some people, it doesn't make that contact or information any less valuable when it comes to making this decision.

In the end. I'm looking for a peaceful place to raise my family that is safe! Until you've seen Portland up close and personal, you will never understand what I'm talking about. Drive through that town and you will see what literally looks like a war torn city in areas. Burned up buildings, torn down and vandalized statues and businesses, burning American flags, etc... Destruction that was never shared by the MSM or Social Media. Many folks are leaving this state because they just don't feel safe and that they have no voice.

My family believes in God and the Constitution of the United States of America. I will not apologize for that. We are at a point in life where we can choose where we want to spend the rest of our life. We are looking very carefully and will not rush anything these next 18 months. It's a very important decision for my family and I appreciate everyone's input.

In the end, I'd be very happy to hang out and live near that 47.6% you speak of.

My family believes in God and the Constitution of the United States of America.
You might be surprised at how many Biden voters hold the exact same beliefs.

Good luck in your move, Wyoming is an awesome state. Even Laramie.

I don’t think there is a town in the state you can’t find good deer and elk hunting with two hours drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t see eye to eye with the Albany county assessor. Like it was already stated, small towns are nice but they stay small for a reason. Can you live without a Walmart and without fast food close by. Those decisions should be part of your thought process. The outdoor recreation is available everywhere. Living in the mountains is great but my experience has been nothing short of the complete opposite of those fantasies people tell me they see on tv. That said, I wanted that, so I have no ground to complain on. What does your family want? I wouldn’t worry about the “two counties” in Wyoming either.
Actually we hate fast food and living without a Walmart is fine, since I don't shop there as it is. We live below our means and don't need much to be happy and content. We like to cook our own meals and are home bodies that enjoy the outdoors.

Where I currently live would be a fantasy for many, but not for others. So I get what you are saying. We will go into this with a full understanding of the area. We are both trying to get as much information as possible and we appreciate all the input from everyone.

We searched for about three years. In some communities you can get a very modest home in town in that range. We have seen thirty year old single wides on three acres sell for 250K in our area!
In town, 360K-390K starts a decent older family home price. Out of town on small acreage will generally run in the 500K area to start in Sheridan/Buffalo areas. I am sure you guys have already started looking on Zillow and Realtor.com and have seen that though. Coming from Missouri, it was quite the shocker. We decided to build since SOMEBODY is buying up decent houses as fast as they come on the market. Scary.
We chose WY since we have considered it home for a quarter century now and have spent much time there. Actually, the majority of our closest friends are in Wyoming. We also chose it because there are not Wal Marts, gas stations and fast food restaurants on every corner.
There is truth in the words of the above poster: Nothing is close by in WY! But you get to see antelope on your commutes! lol.

We searched for about three years. In some communities you can get a very modest home in town in that range. We have seen thirty year old single wides on three acres sell for 250K in our area!
In town, 360K-390K starts a decent older family home price. Out of town on small acreage will generally run in the 500K area to start in Sheridan/Buffalo areas. I am sure you guys have already started looking on Zillow and Realtor.com and have seen that though. Coming from Missouri, it was quite the shocker. We decided to build since SOMEBODY is buying up decent houses as fast as they come on the market. Scary.
We chose WY since we have considered it home for a quarter century now and have spent much time there. Actually, the majority of our closest friends are in Wyoming. We also chose it because there are not Wal Marts, gas stations and fast food restaurants on every corner.
There is truth in the words of the above poster: Nothing is close by in WY! But you get to see antelope on your commutes! lol.
Manitou1,

My wife is a Zillow nut. She loves that stuff and has been all over it. We've seen what you are talking about for sure. We are also considering to just build, based on what we've. Since we plan on it being our forever home, that might be the best way to go. We can stretch out budget for sure, it will just depend on location. We have time to make these decisions as well. It's only our desire to get out of this state that pushes our timeline. We have good jobs and can just continue to save until the time is right and all decisions are made.

If where you live now is anything like Florence I suspect 18 months is a long time to wait...
Yes it will feel like a long time. But as I've aged I have also grown a little more patient, believe it or not. My wife is actually the one who is ready to go this second. Which is funny. It's kind of a reverse in roles. She knows taking our time is best, she's just excited for the new chapter.

Back