Caribou Gear Tarp

Moving to Texas

Appalachia

Hello Everyone,
I recently received a promotion, and due to this promotion, I have to relocate to Texas, more specifically Richmond Texas. I have never been to Texas and not sure what to expect, but I am excited for the opportunity that should arise. The reason that I am writing this message is that I am hoping that some of you may be willing to impart some of your knowledge on hunting Texas and what it takes to navigate through some of its laws. I have spent some considerable time on Texas’s DNR site and its still clear as mud. It may seem this way to myself due to my excitement of starting a new position.

Any advice would be appreciated, and if you happen to live near the Richmond area, I would be happy to buy you a coffee and talk about hunting.

It's really pretty easy for most of the seasons. It really depends on what you are hunting. The rules and regs are pretty standard across most counties, but the dates and limits vary from county to county and zone to zone. Be sure to download the Texas Outdoor Annual app and keep it up to date. You can browse seasons and regulations by animal or by county. TPWD is pretty quick to respond to email if you need clarification or have a question. I'm happy to help you with any questions you may have too. Just let me know.

Buy your APH permit and your licenses and go. They used to send out a big book with all the places you could hunt with that - that info is also available online. Lots of dove only areas are available in the APH program, but you're fortunate to have the Sam Houston NF right north of you on I-45. Just buy you license and go on that piece. I believe you have to apply for antlerless in the NF.

They also have quite a number of drawn hunts that you can apply for.

North Texas is some of the fastest growing area in the country, Colleen county has been number one. You won’t be alone that’s for sure. Good luck with your new job.

Hunting wise public land is very poor and leases are ridiculous. But we do have some great fishing all over.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the NFs in east texas. They definitely see a lot of pressure but if a person does their homework they can find good areas. Dove fields are a war zone on the opener though. I've never seen so much blaze in one place!

Don't be so quick to dismiss the NFs in east texas. They definitely see a lot of pressure but if a person does their homework they can find good areas. Dove fields are a war zone on the opener though. I've never seen so much blaze in one place!

I grew up in ETex and still hunt there, and yes they are viable but during the week is somewhat better when the hunting pressure is lower. I quit Dove Hunting about 20 years ago due to what you described. My problem is when I go to etex I want to bring the boat and go fishing.

You will also be near some top notch waterfowling. Shouldn’t take long to find a hunter or 20 at your new job to show you the ropes. I wore a first lite vest one day to a client site and made three more hunting buddies just like that.

Funny...I am moving to DFW area in July. I am working to get back out west. I will also be looking into Texas hunting and begging family in Amarillo area to let me and my son hunt their ranch.

Thank you all for the information, and I plan on reaching out to the DNR in the areas that I plan to check out. Also, I am glad that I will be near the Sam Houston National Forest. If I don't get to hunt, it should at least be a great place to explore. It sure will be an adventure, and maybe I will have to take up duck hunting. And thanks riv3rbanks, I did not know that there was an app for regulations in Texas and thank you MN-Bowhunter. I will look into putting into some of the draws.

I have a few great hunts in CO and Utah this year so....I am working on deer spot for my son. It’s an adventure and will be fun.

Texas public land is tough and getting worse. Lease and day hunts you can travel and hunt Elk cheaper than deer here. I hunt Sam Houston and Aransas Refuge with about 25% success rate but it tough and I hunt for days at a time. Mule deer hunting is really tough but if you can commit to days of hunting it is possible. We have draw hunts but they are getting more and more every year as the cost of leases continue thru the roof. Bird hunting is easy but anything else is hard to get into on public. If you Bow hunt there are a few places in south Tx. but they a very tough hunts. Not trying to be a bummer but that's the facts. But I still go as often as I can being retired I can stay that week or more at a time.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back