Caribou Gear

Moving from Texas to the west...maybe

Sabot

The wife and I have every reason in the world not to pull up roots. Been in our home south of DFW for 11 years, early 40s, kids in good schools, great house on a great lot, good church, good friends, reasonbly close to family, own a business here...and yet...we both have a longing for the west.

Life in the flatlands is hot (2 seasons a year - really hot and mild to cool), crowded, no public land other than the lakes, and no scenery at all.

We can't explain it, but we just have a draw to sell it all and go west. I have an ability to make money from home and she is a nurse that can work anywhere, so $ could be figured out. We don't want to live in a remote small town, but something the size of 100-300k people would be nice.

Where would you go if you were going to start over at 43 years old?

I left Texas four years ago this coming April. I moved out west (Albeit about 18yrs sooner in my life) and haven't looked back (of course I was at a completely different part of my life, right out of college). I still head home usually once or twice a year, because I do still love Texas and family. However, I do really love not having to pay for a lease.

If Idaho didn't have a state income tax, i'd move near Boise tomorrow (or as soon as I found a job there). Nevada would be nice too, but based off of your population requirement it would either be Reno or Vegas.

P.S. how far south of DFW? I grew up kinda near Stephenville.

Vegas is too big now, about 2 million in the Las Vegas valley. 105-115 degrees in the summer, yuck.
Reno isn't bad, population about 233,000. Record highs in July around 100 degrees but most of the time quite bearable. At least they have 4 seasons there. My wife and I would probably live there if not for my in-laws who live there.
No state income tax though!
Having lived most of my life in NV there are probably better states as far as hunting opportunities where you can get OTC tags every year if you want to just hunt. Everything in NV is a draw.
Good luck to you where ever you and your wive decide to go.

For hunting, I would like to be close to Idaho. That would give you so many options to hunt different states. Vancouver, Washington is nice because you are close to the coast, mountains and Portland Oregon which can help with jobs. It is about an 6-8 hour drive to Idaho which makes me want to move closer some day. Spokane is right next to Idaho so you can take advantage of hunting both states and not too far away to Montana. Walla Walla Washington could be a nice option close to the Blue Mountains, Idaho and Oregon.

I love Grand Junction. Rifle and Montrose are great as well. 2 elk tags a year, mule deer just about every year, antelope every couple of years, awesome fishing, endless hiking/exploring, great climate, I could keep going....

Last edited:
I just took a job in Plano. I start in June. I know it gets hot but at least I'm not running around in body armor and getting shot at. I have been looking at the area and thinking about Mckinney, any suggestions on where to purchase a home?

I just took a job in Plano. I start in June. I know it gets hot but at least I'm not running around in body armor and getting shot at. I have been looking at the area and thinking about Mckinney, any suggestions on where to purchase a home?

I'd look out at Anna and other McKinney area towns. Lots of country and access to the red river and Oklahoma.

I love Grand Junction. Rifle and Montrose are great as well. 2 elk tags a year, mule deer just about every year, antelope every couple of years, awesome fishing, endless hiking/exploring, great climate, I could keep going....

I was going to recommend Montrose or Grand Junction as well.

- Salt Lake metro area. Several great areas to live and our economy is rocking. Good opportunity for hunting big/small game and lots of great fishing (cold/warm water) close. Overall a great place to live.

- Idaho - Boise and Idaho Falls are great with good diversified economies. Wonderful people and good quality of life. Sportsmen paradise.

Rent and stay away from the women as you want no roots. The mean time between failures of Montanans in the DFW area is 4.5 years ;)

Colorado Springs or Spokane might suit the OP desire for a 100k-300k populace. The politics and religious slant of the cities vary quite a bit in the mountain time zone and can be important to the enjoyment of living.

Colorado Springs or Spokane might suit the OP desire for a 100k-300k populace. The politics and religious slant of the cities vary quite a bit in the mountain time zone and can be important to the enjoyment of living.

Colorado Springs population is way more than that, about 450k, and over 700k in El Paso county now. This place is 15 years past being a great place. Pretty soon it will be solid city from Ft Collins to Pueblo

Colorado Springs population is way more than that, about 450k, and over 700k in El Paso county now. This place is 15 years past being a great place. Pretty soon it will be solid city from Ft Collins to Pueblo
Wow, I didn't realize it was that big. I was just down there and the airport isn't that much bigger than Bozeman's. Re 15 years, I had an opportunity to move there 20 years ago and chose Idaho ;).

Wow, I didn't realize it was that big. I was just down there and the airport isn't that much bigger than Bozeman's. Re 15 years, I had an opportunity to move there 20 years ago and chose Idaho ;).

So...you only come to Texas now to refill the sack?:)

We seriously considered relocating to Colorado in the mid 80's but came to our senses.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back