Caribou Gear Tarp

Mountain Whitefish

I have a license. Forgot the damn thing at home. I could have gotten away with it. But, I turn in any lawbreakers I can. So I came home and started the ribs. mtmuley
Can’t tell you how much I enjoy being able to use smartphone technology. A lot of states should to Oregon. It’s a pain in the ass transferring your hunting license from waders to backpack to bird vest.

Can’t tell you how much I enjoy being able to use smartphone technology. A lot of states should to Oregon. It’s a pain in the ass transferring your hunting license from waders to backpack to bird vest.
I'm starting to get on board with this. It is a pain in the ass to move tags and licenses around. And I only hunt one state. mtmuley

Buy your license online, sync the app with your online account, finish your beer as you pack. It really is easy. Only legal requirement is you keep your phone charged. Anyway, sorry for detailing the thread.

95DD61AC-AE96-43EB-8DC2-2DF4D7D7DD1F.png

Sometimes we would get upstream of a hole, wade out kick up rocks to get the aquatic insects, stone fly nymph's, salmon fly nymph's etc. stirred up triggering them to start feeding. Also used stone fly nymph's for bait as well sometimes. Used a screen to catch them for bait.
Are you sure you're not a Wood? We have to be related.

Buzz is also getting real close to a family secret for catching whitefish, and of course some colored ones too.
I think I know...its not always what's under the rocks, but what is attached to them.

If I'm right, I caught the biggest brown I've ever caught in the Blackfoot on one.

Man, this thread is awesome, bringing back memories of a different time and place in my youth when Montana was so much different. Hard to forget the places we fished, natural pier bridge, Phil's bobber busting hole, old mans, Scotty Brown, County line, McNamara, Johnsrud, Valley of the moon bridge, Wisherd Bridge etc. etc. etc.

Nothing like a driftwood warming fire, snow, shelf ice, slush ice, yellow and orange bobbers, the sounds of the water, and a white 5 gallon bucket or burlap sack full of whitefish to take a guy back...good times.

I think I know...its not always what's under the rocks, but what is attached to them.

If I'm right, I caught the biggest brown I've ever caught in the Blackfoot on one.

Man, this thread is awesome, bringing back memories of a different time and place in my youth when Montana was so much different. Hard to forget the places we fished, natural pier bridge, Phil's bobber busting hole, old mans, Scotty Brown, County line, McNamara, Johnsrud, Valley of the moon bridge, Wisherd Bridge etc. etc. etc.

Nothing like a driftwood warming fire, snow, shelf ice, slush ice, yellow and orange bobbers, the sounds of the water, and a white 5 gallon bucket or burlap sack full of whitefish to take a guy back...good times.
I was all alone when I got to the river this morning. I hear you about the good old days. My Grandpa used burlap sacks. mtmuley

I have caught some on nymphs and san juan worms. Fun fight on a fly rod in current, but have been meaning to put in some more effort this winter to get some for the smoker and pickling. Just texted my wife that we have plans for Feb 27th.

I have caught a bunch of white fish on the Bitterroot in recent years with a fly rod. Mainly nymphing deeper water with a prince nymph or copper John. I have as much fun catching white fish as trout and I enjoy the fact they are a native fish as well (at least from what I have read).

These sound suspiciously like what my grandpa taught me fish with in Oregon. I’d ride my bike to the river, find some of those and fish all day.

Good times…

Think I'm gonna have to check out if any are in Central Oregon. About all I fish for now is Catfish and Crappie and getting ready to try Walleye. Sounds like I'm missing a pretty good deal on Whitefish!

Don, decent populations of whitefish in the Crooked, Deschutes and Metolius rivers, and also Odell, Cultus, Crescent and Suttle lakes to name a few spots.

So we use to hit the Big Hole at first sign of ice going off. (It actually froze over) The East of the Continental divide whitefish are a little bit bigger than our West side ones. The taste better too.

Anyway, we (Tjones)were standing on the Ice at Browns bridge over in Melrose fishing.
He said he was hung up on the beaver sticks and was pulling for all that 20' pole would stand, when all of a sudden out popped this whitefish about 4lbs in weight and was laying there as surprised at being on the ice, as we were to see a huge whitefish come out and land like that there. We laughed our asses off.

Great times indeed.

Last edited:
Seems like all.of us should go fishing for whitefish. mtmuley
I went again today. Here are what the fish filets look like. Still have a little cleanup to do but not looking bad.

20220213_165803.jpg

With this batch, nothing is going to waste. The heads and bodies are being used for fish stock as I type. The filets will be cut up and I am going to make a Hungarian paprika and cream base fish stew. I have never done it with whitefish but I suspect it will be pretty good. I will send you guys a pic when I make it later in the week.

I recall a bit of Bitterroot history where the valley was snowed shut and no supplies could get in. Maybe 1889? The townsfolk were sustained by enterprising men catching wagons full of whitefish and giving them to the needy.

When I live in Missoula a long time ago we used to catch lots of whitefish by the reserve street bridge. I'm guessing that's all city now.

Back