Caribou Gear

Mountain goat

Elkchaser12

Alright guys, just need some input on my dream hunt here long story that I'll try and make sort of short a very good friend of mine and I have been talking about doing an archery mountain goat hunt for the last 5 years but I truly have no idea where to start on this, states, units, best times to hunt these amazing animals it's been a dream of mine to take a goat but I just have never went through with it, this hunt would likely take place in 2017 or 2018 what's the best way to go about planning a hunt like this what states or units should I look at? I currently live in idaho but the very low tag numbers and draw odds have kinda pushed me away from it last year I did apply for a tag but with a three percent draw odds I wasn't the lucky one but I would think other states have better opportunities for goats than idaho any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to break the bad news to you but you won't find any better odds in any state in the lower 48. In most states your odds as a nonresident are going to be less than 1%. No doubt some states have better resident odds but even in Montana the best draw odds are less than 8% for residents. If you are wanting to hunt for sure in '17 or' 18 , guided in Alaska or British Columbia is your best option. Good luck!

Move to Idaho for Resident Draw odd's or go guided up North. Saw the debate on another thread, answer wasn't even really a debate.

Yep. Although he doesn't have to move to Idaho since he already lives there. A resident in Idaho has about the best odds of anyone in the lower 48.

There are several units that have much better odds for residents than 3%, some as high as 17% and several in the 10% range. Statistically you should be able to draw a tag in 5 or 6 years of consistent applying.

My son and I both have 9 bonus points for mountain goat and bighorn here in NV. The odds for mountain goat for the area we apply for were 523 to 1. Maybe my son will draw by the time he's my age and I can still be of help. 52 now.
Good luck to you where ever you apply.
:eek:

Like stated above BC or Alaska. I've hunted them in BC but came home with tag soup. Certainly hunted our butts off but bad weather did us in. Trip #2 coming up with Munsey's Bear Camp on Kodiak Island. IMO anyone that takes one of these critters with a bow is a stud. Good huntin'

Idaho is as best chance as you'll get to draw a tag within your time frame. I drew my Idaho tag after 5 years of applying. Unless you are paying for a hunt in BC just keep applying. Also, don't try to chase the odds every year. Most times than not you will end up behind the 8 ball. Find a unit you want to go for and stick with it in the draw process.

As stated above, goat tags are hard to come by. If you put in consistently you'll likely draw, but odds of you and a buddy drawing together are slim. 2 years ago I bit the bullet and went to Alaska. Yes I needed to have a guide (outfitter was Dennis Zadra in the Chugach), but that didnt make it easy. It was by far one of the most rewarding hunts I've been on and the guides were great. We are still in touch regularly talking about upcoming hunts and life etc.

As mentioned above your best bet is to draw a tag in Idaho. You won't have a chance in Colo until you have 3 pref pts. All other states odds are dismal at best. BC and Alaska you can hunt each year if you have the $.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back