mountain bike

MThuntr

So I've put the new pickup on hold with hopes the 2016 models come out and I can pick up a new rig at the end of the year. In the mean time, I'm in need of a bike and I know a bunch of you guys are mountain bikers. Not having ridden a bike in many years I'm completely a noob at this.
I'm looking for a good all around bike that I can ride to work & around town but also on gravel and closed Forest roads. I envision limited hunting (mostly archery and spring turkey) off of it in locations where my limited abilities won't be tasked too hard.

I'll be headed to Missoula this weekend to take a look and hopefully buy something. Any recommendations?

How much are you looking to spend? IMO, your frame, wheels, and rear derailer are probably the most critical.

I have a Gary Fisher Marlin, That has been a really good bike for me. Definately not a highend bike, but solid components, and good stiff frame. I would go with a hardtail. Disc brakes are pretty standard, but I would make sure I have these.

To be honest, I don't have a specific price point but would like to keep things around $500 but have wiggle room. I'd hate to spend $1K or more on something that will likely spend 90% of its time on pavement.

To be honest, I don't have a specific price point but would like to keep things around $500 but have wiggle room. I'd hate to spend $1K or more on something that will likely spend 90% of its time on pavement.

Road bikes generally cost more than mountain bikes, so there's that to think about.

I have a Raleigh Talus 29 that was around $600 new. seems to be a decent bike. I would go with a disk break bike, way more control.

I would ride a couple different brands at least to see what feels best, they are all different. Once you have a general idea on what size bike you need I would watch craigslist, you can pick up a used bike for way less than new, good deals can be found, might just take some time.

I recently decided to get back in to bike riding to help my knee and to get some exercise. This is what I went with after much consideration....

It's a Specialized Fatboy.....middle model....came with carbon forks and hydraulic disc brakes and really nice grip shift. It was $1,980 on sale. We tried out a lot of less expensive bikes but to me it seems like you get what you pay for.

I really like the fat tires on rough pit run roads and we have a lot of them in the hills around here. It also floats on sand and is supposed to do well in snow though I have yet to try it. It has a little more drag than standard mt bike tires but it's really insignificant if you have the tire pressure up. I ride it on the paved road too and it does great. No need for suspension as the tires absorb a lot.

I was just looking at some the other day Joe...got a sale flier....pricey.But my ancient stiff frame has seen better days. Seems like the ideal way for me to go feed cattle and check the ranch,get the extra exercise I need...besides work.Would be a good way to get back in fartheror scouting....but more comfortable than the old crash and burn model I have . LOL

I think for what you described, you might consider a Specialized "Multi-use" bike. I think of it a cross between a "mountain bike" and a "road bike". The bike is basically a mountain bike with skinny tires for riding on the streets (less rolling resistence). My son just bought one and it's very nice.

I ride my bike to work during the summer months (late April to November) weather permitting. I try to ride a least 4 times during the work week - 10.6 miles a trip. I have a Specialized "Rockhopper". I bought it two years ago for about $800 and then added a few items (different seat, handle bar grips, head light, tail light, rear fender, water bottle, water bottle holder). I was thinking of getting a road bike (aka - old school - 10 speed) and then decided on the mountain bike. I figured at my age I wasn't going to be entering any races, so I bought a mountain bike for the workout and then I can take it on trails if I want. I love it. It gets me in shape for hunting and I typcially lose about 20 lbs each summer (I also put it back on over the winter :)).

Specialized hard rock.500-600 dollars and unless your a hardcore mtn biker its all you'll ever need.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm

These guys have about every level you want at good prices.

26" 29" or even 27.5" is getting kind of hot

What he said about bikes direct as long as you know a little about making adjustments and doing a little bit of final assembly. For what you want I would get a 29er hardtail. You can by semi-slick tires for road use and change them out to the knobs for hunting. And DON'T pay a lot for a name on a frame, it is components that matter when it comes to a hardtail.

I bought a Diamondback Response back in 2012 that has disc brakes. I'm not an avid cyclist by no means but at 6' 3"/260# it hauls my fat butt around pretty good. I just wish I had somebody else to ride with.

This isn't mine but it looks just like it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 360
picture.php

Here's my bike. It is a Diamondback Overdrive sport that I bought earlier this Spring. I'll echo just about everyone else... Hard-tail, front suspension, disc brakes. I like that you can adjust and lock the front suspension on my bike. The suspension travel can take out some of the energy transferred to the pedals when tackling hills and it is easy enough to reach down and lock it.

The trailer is an Aosom Wanderer Bicycle Bike Cargo that I bought off Amazon for $120. Says it will hold 150#, but I wouldn't want to do much uphill biking with much cargo. Some buddies and I biked into a shed hunting spot on a closed FS road earlier this Spring. We took bivys, gear, food and supplies and filled two of these trailers with about 50-60# of gear each. It was almost all uphill going in so we did a lot of pushing, but coming down was a breeze. Wish I'd got into this setup earlier and can't wait to try it out in September.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back