Caribou Gear

Mouflon or Ibex

EnglishStalker

Out of pure interest have any of you diehard wild sheep and goat hunters ever thought of heading over to Europe to add a Mouflon or an Ibex to your trophy collection? Or even a wild goat from Scotland, Wales or Ireland?

long way to go for a goat,but I have considered an ibex hunt.Cant find any for a reasonable price though

My first choice would be an ibex. They are beautiful animals. I'd jump at the chance to hunt either though.

Mouflon in Hawaii can be hunted on public land. I think an archery tag is pretty easy to get.

Isn't there a catch with Mouflons in Hawaii? Something along the lines of only being able to take rams with genetic issues unless hunting on a ranch? I looked into this briefly but never really found good info.

Isn't there a catch with Mouflons in Hawaii? Something along the lines of only being able to take rams with genetic issues unless hunting on a ranch? I looked into this briefly but never really found good info.

In the past it was 1 either sex tag on the state hunt. In time good rams became scarce compared to the abundance of ewes and deformed horned rams. So they closed the season for several years to the take of rams, it was ewe only and deformed ram. When they opened it up to rams in 2012, I jumped on it. However, before you could receive your either sex tag ( ram ) you first had to harvest a ewe and check it in to get the ram tag. They also give you a deformed horn ram tag, so 3 tags are available. This was free but now the ewe tag cost $125, either sex tag (ram) $125, and deformed horn tag is free. You still have to harvest a ewe before they will give you a ram tag. Also, you cannot keep the deformed ram's head.

Last edited:
In the past it was 1 either sex tag on the state hunt. In time good rams were scarce compared to the abundance of ewes and deformed horned rams. So they closed the season for several years to the take of rams, it was ewe only and deformed ram. When they opened it up to rams in 2012, I jumped on it. However, before you could receive your either sex tag ( ram ) you first had to harvest a ewe and check it in to get the ram tag. They also give you a deformed horn ram tag, so 3 tags are available. This was free but now the ewe tag cost $125, either sex tag (ram) $125, and deformed horn tag is free. You still have to harvest a ewe before they will give you a ram tag. Also, you cannot keep the deformed ram's head.

Thanks for the info, glass eye. I actually think it was your picture I stumbled upon that peaked my interest in going there. That ram is awesome!

Fortunately Idaho has almost everything that I really want to hunt. I would have a hard time justifying the expense, but there are a few hunts that I'm thinking about saving up to do. Ibex is at the top of my short list of those hunting adventures that I can't get to within a half day's drive from home.

Love to hunt Ibex. beautiful creatures but is very spendy. Spain charges 21% VAT on hunts so that adds up to a lot of unexpected cost on a big hunt like that

I'll be going for both ibex in Spain and mouflon in Hawaii. They are incredible trophies and make a great addition to any trophy room. Here's my brother with his ibex in Spain.

Ibex, Tur, or Markhor are near the top of my dream list of foreign critters to hunt. I'll never be able to afford the last two and likely won't be able to afford or be able to make the Ibex work out. They are some amazing critters in some very neat places.

In the past it was 1 either sex tag on the state hunt. In time good rams became scarce compared to the abundance of ewes and deformed horned rams. So they closed the season for several years to the take of rams, it was ewe only and deformed ram. When they opened it up to rams in 2012, I jumped on it. However, before you could receive your either sex tag ( ram ) you first had to harvest a ewe and check it in to get the ram tag. They also give you a deformed horn ram tag, so 3 tags are available. This was free but now the ewe tag cost $125, either sex tag (ram) $125, and deformed horn tag is free. You still have to harvest a ewe before they will give you a ram tag. Also, you cannot keep the deformed ram's head.

I have been looking pretty closely at a combo hunting/vacation trip to Hawaii next March with my wife. I started wanting to go for Mouflon and goats on the Big Island. I have been pretty disappointed to find out that the information I had been reading was no longer valid because of the current eradication operations on the island. Lanai seems to be the only option for Mouflon and it requires a draw and has specific season dates. Goat hunting can be done on other islands but I have not found a lot of recent information.

I have been looking pretty closely at a combo hunting/vacation trip to Hawaii next March with my wife. I started wanting to go for Mouflon and goats on the Big Island. I have been pretty disappointed to find out that the information I had been reading was no longer valid because of the current eradication operations on the island. Lanai seems to be the only option for Mouflon and it requires a draw and has specific season dates. Goat hunting can be done on other islands but I have not found a lot of recent information.

The Big Island has mostly Mouflon/Feral Sheep Hybrids, but there are pure Mouflon on Mauna Loa above the Volcano National Park. However, they are eradicating them but they are still around. This photo below is from there. It was a dead head that my wife found and we did see some ewes. Just a 1 day trek.

On Lanai you can hunt Mouflon year-round on the private side, $275 per day.

Attachments

• IMG_2418-25%.JPG
    IMG_2418-25%.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 526

There are other options on Lanai....you can hunt the "pay side" for Mouflon and axis deer as well. Open year round you just have to book your dates in advance(well in advance these days.) You can DIY or hire a guide which I did my first trip.

Just got back from there a couple weeks ago. You won't regret visiting/hunting that island...amazing place. True hunter's and hunter's wife's paradise.

Back