Most valuable hunting item under $100

Gees! Six cups of coffee for fifteen bucks (plus shipping)? That's three bucks a cup ... and no sexy barrista to ogle while waiting in line. When I'm cold and wet, Folgers Instant hits the spot just as well. Fifteen bucks probably buys a truckload of that crap.
My spot and your spot must be different because Folgers has never hit mine.

Having dropped an elk a couple of years ago shortly after sunset and of course there was no moon that night. I would say a headlamp or some some sort of light. Gutting an elk and the hike back to the truck with no light is something I do not want to ever have to do again.

My spot and your spot must be different because Folgers has never hit mine.

1673993743565.png
Gees! Six cups of coffee for fifteen bucks (plus shipping)? That's three bucks a cup ... and no sexy barrista to ogle while waiting in line. When I'm cold and wet, Folgers Instant hits the spot just as well. Fifteen bucks probably buys a truckload of that crap.

Having dropped an elk a couple of years ago shortly after sunset and of course there was no moon that night. I would say a headlamp or some some sort of light. Gutting an elk and the hike back to the truck with no light is something I do not want to ever have to do again.
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before but a couple of glow sticks in the backpack can be a lifesaver, especially if batteries crap out in the flashlight and need to be changed.

I have a camo ball cap with LED lights in the bill. It is great for setting out decoys in the dark. I'm not sure how useful they would be for gutting out an animal. Haven't tried it yet. For initially opening the critter up I guess. After that most of the work is done by feel out of sight. I've done it so many times I could probably do it blindfolded (but not with a super sharp knife!). I have walked out in the dark many times with the cap light and it's worked fine. Also great for checking under the hood at night or working on plumbing under the sink.

My hunting is largely only a few hundred yards from the truck. I have the luxury of not needing to pack a lot out with me.

#1 FREE item: file a game plan with my Wife. If she doesn’t get a text by 6pm, there’s a problem. ALWAYS file a game plan. Always. If it’s not your wife or significant other, tell you friend. Tell a Talker. Tell someone, always.

Neck Buffs. Two of them…. $4. Get a half dozen off amazon for $10-12. One inserted into the other, double babushka style is worth 10 degrees…

A couple of blaze orange bandana’s. Great for marking a place…or hanging on your head as you pack it out.

A Costco yellow rag. Too many uses not to love them.

Lots of great answers here. 15 spf chapstick. A nail file. Paracord (or the like), 50’ is a good number. Dry-wipes - little dehydrated wet-wipes…just add water. Outdoor Research Boonie hat. Thermacell. Costco hiking sticks (*ok, I have Black Diamond Carbon Flick-locks I bought 10 years ago…same concept though). Couple of rubber gloves. Bic lighters. $30 gillie poncho.

Pack what you need…but don’t over pack.

Athletic tape. I put some on hotspots on my heels or pinky toes sometimes.
Electrolytes from Hammer Nutrition. The flavors encouraged me to drink more water and the electrolytes helped a lot.
Screenshot_20230119_173909_Chrome.jpg
48 oz Silo Nalgene bottle to house water and that sweet sweet electrolyte goodness.

Athletic tape. I put some on hotspots on my heels or pinky toes sometimes.
Electrolytes from Hammer Nutrition. The flavors encouraged me to drink more water and the electrolytes helped a lot.
View attachment 261512
48 oz Silo Nalgene bottle to house water and that sweet sweet electrolyte goodness.
How do these compare to the Nuun tablets or Liquid IV?

I don’t know if it’s been said yet but my Outdoorsmans Bino Stud and Adapter.

Completely changed the way I hunt.

I keep putting off that purchase as I have the crappy vortex stud. Even now with the orange model they have me sold on being harder to lose. I’m just being cheap.

This will get you space to fish plus two baristas with loose moral compasses.

Piscifun Ice Fishing Shelter, Retardant Portable 2-3/3-4 Person Pop-up Ice Fishing Tent, Available in Insulated and Non-Insulated, Frost Resistance Ice Shanty with Detachable Windows and Carry Bag https://a.co/d/dZZCVwx
That is a helluva buy. I'm seriously considering one. Thanks.

Back