MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Most important piece of gear?

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Since there isn't a lot of hunting going on right now, most of us are probably spending time trying to figure out how to spend some more money on hunting gear. Every year, I find one or two of those "How did I ever live without it" kind of items.

I am curious what you guys might be using, that I need to be looking at to make my life easier, my pack lighter, or my trips more fun.

My 2008 season "How did I ever live without it item" is my Mystery Ranch Crew Cab pack. They are an investment, but I have a shop full of packs that I could have saved the money on, had I found the MRCC before buying them

It collapses into a much smaller pack, forms to your body, and rides on your hips like it is not even there. And when the critter is on the ground, it can haul more than my body is capable of carrying. Definitely the real deal if you do much backpack hunting, whether day trips, or longer trips.

My 2007 season "How did I ever live without it item" is my Peranta knife from Havalon. No more carrying tons of knives or sharpening stones. Just carry the Havalon, with a bunch of extra blades. They are replaceable scalpel blades. Not gonna cut any bone with them, but they will cape, quarter, and debone an entire elk, if I don't torque on them. Hint - get the orange handle, so you don't lose the black handled one :eek:.

Probably a few more items, but other than my rifle and ammo, those are two items that I am not leaving at home.

Would be interested to hear any other items you guys can't live without. My pack always has space for some new things.

And if there are some items you tried and found that you can continue to live without, it would be interesting to hear of those also, so no one else wastes the time and money.

Yes I would say that in 2005 while hunting with my brother in Montana it would have been nice to have a good chain saw or a real swedsaw to cutesome fire wood .(thought I was going to freeze to death):D

Yes I would say that in 2005 while hunting with my brother in Montana it would have been nice to have a good chain saw or a real swedsaw to cutesome fire wood .(thought I was going to freeze to death):D

Now that's funny, coming from the guy who can remember to bring his sleeping bag. :p

If we draw NM elk, you are in charge of the firewood, deal?

I can't say I found a "how did I live without it" item last year, but I did get a new tripod for the spotting scope that strikes a nice balance between my 8+ pound Bogen and my 1.5 pound Sunpak.

slik_pro340EZ.jpg

Slik Pro 340EZ. Weighs 3.6 pounds, folds up to just under 20", with a max height of 56". The scope that goes on top of it was my 2007 "how did I live without this" purchase.

I suspect that the orange-handled Piranta knife I got for Christmas will make my 2009 list, unless I can get a really good deal on some Sitka clothing and it turns out to be as good as advertised.:) I hope nhy doesn't make fun of my knife. :eek:

I've got both items you mentioned in your first post and agree that they are superior products. I would also be interested in small items that people carry on hunts that they've found of great value.

I'm talking about little things like dental floss (can be useful if not needed or really necessary to keep you from going nuts with something stuck in your teeth). I also carry a little roll of duct tape with me all the time, sans the cardboard and only about 1 inch wide. A little Gold Bond powder can go a long way on early season hunts as well.

I carry a pocket pulley. It's a small hoist system that rolls up really small, I can hook on a moose or elk by the foot or head and pull it up against a tree or brush to maneuver so I can field dress it easier. Saved my butt on a few occasions. Speaking of Butts,Tucks medicated pads are nice.

I've replaced nearly all my gear in the last 3 years, and due to some careful research, most of the new stuff is pretty impressive.

A couple small items I've picked up recently that have really stood out are a Smartwool base layer top, and a Mammut Lucido TX1 headlamp.

In chilly temperatures, the top remains warm enough after I sweat it up that I don't feel compelled to swap it out for a dry one if I'm stopping to sit, like I often do with my Capilene shirts. It also refuses to get smelly. I've gone running or hiking in it 10 times since the last wash, and it still smells good enough to wear to social engagements.

The Mammut head lamp is great if your navigating sketchy, off trail terrain in the dark. The high beam really cuts through the night, it makes a world of difference if your trying to find the one way off the mountain without any cliffs.

Good quality boots would have to be at the top of my list of important gear. Kenetrek's with the gaiters have been hard to beat.

Was the high bidder on a Mystery Ranch crew cab about a month ago, and got to take it out this past weekend turkey hunting. Looking forward to putting it to work this coming big game season.

On extended backpack hunts I always take 3 day vaginal yeast infection cream. It has saved my butt numerous times.

If a person starts getting rub rash in the nether regions it'll fix it quick.

Brushing your teeth with it provides a minty fresh taste. :)

Hopefully I'll get a good tag this year!

My 2007 season "How did I ever live without it item" is my Peranta knife from Havalon. No more carrying tons of knives or sharpening stones. Just carry the Havalon, with a bunch of extra blades. They are replaceable scalpel blades. Not gonna cut any bone with them, but they will cape, quarter, and debone an entire elk, if I don't torque on them. Hint - get the orange handle, so you don't lose the black handled one :eek:.

AllI can say is "HERE HERE" !!!!!

Dental floss is a must and it works very well if you need to sew a seam on a torn piece of clothing/gear. I just wrap the duct tape around a nalgene to carry it.

I have a tie for the 'I can't believe I got along with out this' category. #1 is a Kifaru Gunbearer. IMO the easiest/slickest way to pack a rifle. #2 is a JetBoil. Mucho beter way to heat water for coffee or dehydrated meals.

One thing I do refuse to skimp on any more are boots. I had great luck with Meindl's from Lathrop and Sons, but their prices went up so this time around so I got some Kenetrek's. Once I got the right sock combo figured out they're doing well for me. At least I haven't repeated this:
NeedtolearntouseMoleSkinforhotspots.jpg

On extended backpack hunts I always take 3 day vaginal yeast infection cream. It has saved my butt numerous times.

If a person starts getting rub rash in the nether regions it'll fix it quick.

Brushing your teeth with it provides a minty fresh taste. :)

Hopefully I'll get a good tag this year!

So that's the taste I get in my mouth, a fishy, minty fresh taste.hump

Pointer, those aren't a manual laboring type of feet now are they. Ouch! I've never seen blisters so big in my life. I rarely get one. You had a blow out, someone laid feet spikes on the trail.:eek:

I don't think it has as much to do with type of feet as it did with the fit of the boots to those feet. Miller got to see me repeat that about a month later...

My 2007 season "How did I ever live without it item" is my Peranta knife from Havalon.

A friend of mine suggests suture forceps as a good tool to take along to change the scalpel blades with.

My laptop computer, it really can give me some good information if I check the game camera info. Like when, what and where to hunt.

11_lookinggood2_1.jpg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back