More opinions

Death penalty, yes. Public viewing, no.

I truly believe the death penalty would be more of a deterrent if people thought it was an actual option for a sentence. Instead you get plea deals and decades of appeals that really water it down so no one is truly concerned about it. Removing the monsters from society benefits everyone, if you don't have the stomach for it, step aside and let someone else do it.
 
Death penalty, yes. Public viewing, no.

I truly believe the death penalty would be more of a deterrent if people thought it was an actual option for a sentence. Instead you get plea deals and decades of appeals that really water it down so no one is truly concerned about it. Removing the monsters from society benefits everyone, if you don't have the stomach for it, step aside and let someone else do it.
I'm neutral on the death penalty.

If it brings closure and comfort to the family of the victims that's a good thing for them.

However, there are things worse than the death penalty as well...seems death would be an easier way out than having to live everyday knowing what you did, inside a cell you'll never get out of.
 
I'm neutral on the death penalty.

If it brings closure and comfort to the family of the victims that's a good thing for them.

However, there are things worse than the death penalty as well...seems death would be an easier way out than having to live everyday knowing what you did, inside a cell you'll never get out of.
I'd be more inclined to increase the discomfort of said cell for the rest of an inmates life than the death penalty. Unless it was personal an I could administer the penalty personally. mtmuley
 
...seems death would be an easier way out than having to live everyday knowing what you did, inside a cell you'll never get out of.

I think for "normal" people like you and I that would be a true statement. Someone committing a crime heinous enough for a death sentence has obviously gone far enough that they aren't operating in that "normal" realm anymore.

I just find it hard to believe that someone that far off the rails ever truly repents and regrets their actions.
 
I think for "normal" people like you and I that would be a true statement. Someone committing a crime heinous enough for a death sentence has obviously gone far enough that they aren't operating in that "normal" realm anymore.

I just find it hard to believe that someone that far off the rails ever truly repents and regrets their actions.
And they obviously don’t view “life” the way most of society does, likely including their own. So I would question how much of deterrent the death penalty vs. life without parole to those people.
 
And they obviously don’t view “life” the way most of society does, likely including their own. So I would question how much of deterrent the death penalty vs. life without parole to those people.
The way the death penalty is carried out as far as the end result is normally way less painful than the pain inflicted on the victim(s). I can see how it gives the remaining family and friends closure though. I doubt people that commit these acts give the punishment a second thought. mtmuley
 
And they obviously don’t view “life” the way most of society does, likely including their own. So I would question how much of deterrent the death penalty vs. life without parole to those people.
I think the deterrent aspect is lost in how few times the death penalty is actually exercised. Think how fervently defense teams try to take death off the table. The Kohberger trial comes to mind, he was really quick to cut a deal to get the death penalty off the table, and that deal was made. Now if you take him out back and get it over with, and do this over and over again with similar cases, I bet people would start to respect it as a genuine consequence a bit more.
 
I'm unconcerned with repentance. IMO justice is served when those responsible are punished. There should be no sentences of life without parole, those should all be death after 3 automatic expedited appeals.
Society is unnecessarily burdening itself with keeping people alive who have proven they not only don't belong in that society, but also would never be allowed to again be in it. Put the broken animal down.
 
I'm unconcerned with repentance. IMO justice is served when those responsible are punished. There should be no sentences of life without parole, those should all be death after 3 automatic expedited appeals.
Society is unnecessarily burdening itself with keeping people alive who have proven they not only don't belong in that society, but also would never be allowed to again be in it. Put the broken animal down.
Blood Eagle. mtmuley
 
Elect a clown, expect a circus and that's exactly what we get every day.

This is just more reality T.V. for the clown-in-chief.

This is sure to be a real winner for the R's in the mid-terms. Squandered away and they all let it happen without even a whimper, but did lick those boots to a high shine.

The one thing I'm thankful for is that all my Grandparents didn't live long enough to see this shit show. They wouldn't recognize what we've become.
I’d be triggered by your first sentence but that same thing could have been said for the last 3 presidents. And I know that’s what you were thinking.
 
I'm neutral on the death penalty.

If it brings closure and comfort to the family of the victims that's a good thing for them.

However, there are things worse than the death penalty as well...seems death would be an easier way out than having to live everyday knowing what you did, inside a cell you'll never get out of.
That’s why I think you should suffer the same fate as your victim. If you torture them alive, well, it’s going to be long and slow for you. Rape your victim, well, you get the picture.
 
That’s why I think you should suffer the same fate as your victim. If you torture them alive, well, it’s going to be long and slow for you. Rape your victim, well, you get the picture.
So those doing the raping to the rapist...how are they better than those that raped the victim? Further, you volunteering for the job?
 
I'm unconcerned with repentance. IMO justice is served when those responsible are punished. There should be no sentences of life without parole, those should all be death after 3 automatic expedited appeals.
Society is unnecessarily burdening itself with keeping people alive who have proven they not only don't belong in that society, but also would never be allowed to again be in it. Put the broken animal down.

I agree that there are crimes where a death sentence is the "best" punishment. But the court systems and juries are fallible and innocent people have been found guilty and executed in the past. IMO that is enough for me not to support the death penalty.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,179
Messages
2,252,448
Members
39,107
Latest member
wkshaw
Back
Top