Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

More on Idaho wolf debate

Muledeer4me

A few more things from our local parer on the never ending wolf debate.
A place for wolves

"I read the Dec 22 article in The Statesman regarding delisting the wolf from protection and what the foes of wolves have to say.

Ron Gillett, from Stanley, who apparently leads the effort to eliminate wolves, must be one of the most arrogant, self-centered individuals on this Earth. Wolves are indigenous to Idaho and have a place here — more so than he does. He wants to get rid of wolves so he can have more elk to kill and bring in more money for himself and all of his hunting buddies. It is as always — money talking.

I have hiked all over this state and have yet to see a wolf. I would be ecstatic if I were lucky enough to do so; much more so than seeing Mr. Gillett riding his horse or four-wheeler on public land and using that land and its resources in a way that he sees fit — for his own gain.

Wake up mister; your time and self-centered interests are becoming part of the past. "

Paul Martin, Boise

Then some reply's from the other side.
Rights of man

"To a letter of Jan. 3, “A place for wolves.” Anyone who would place the rights of animals above the rights of man is ignorant. Ron Gillett is also indigenous of Idaho. He´s a businessman who has brought revenue into Idaho through tourism. He holds a master´s degree in education (which Paul Martin could use more of), then built a whitewater business operating for 25 years. Most people won´t know the respect for wildlife or the primitive areas that Gillett has.

No one is better qualified to listen to on the re-introduction of the wolf. The truth stands on its own merit. Don´t be caught in your own ignorance. Visit with Gillett, who doesn´t own a horse or four-wheeler, as Martin stated. He hikes and packs the backcountry on foot.

Quit throwing dirt on enterprising people who are smart enough and work hard to build businesses using the Earth´s resources. Good Lord, if our ancestors hadn´t done that, the United States would be another starving, third-world country. "

Sandy Osterman, Boise

Find a balance

"Ron Gillett is not the most arrogant, self-centered individual on this planet (Paul Martin´s Jan. 3 letter). Ever hear of Mr. William Jefferson Clinton?

Martin states that wolves are indigenous to Idaho and have more of a place here than Mr. Gillett. Using that reasoning, then not a single individual on this planet has the right to exist where they do — including Martin.

You state you have hiked all over this state and never seen a wolf. Try the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness Area. Try Corduroy Meadows just inside the wilderness area — that´s where I saw my first wolf back in 1993 — before the wolves were reintroduced.

Don´t forget that while Mr. Gillett is using public land by riding his horse or his four-wheeler for his personal gain — Martin is doing the same when you use public land. Hence the reason it is called public land.

If Mr. Gillett´s self-centered interests are becoming a part of the past, I sincerely hope Martin´s own self-centered interests aren´t the wave of the future. I want part of neither. Save an elk, kill a wolf. Save the wolves, lose the elk. No winners — human or animal. A balance must be found. "

Matthew Drauszewski, Boise

Who is arrogant?

"I must comment on the recent letter, “A place for wolves,” from Paul Martin of Boise. He derides Ron Gillett, who wrote in advocating the removal of wolves for conservation reasons, as “arrogant and self-centered” because he would dare to want it that way.

Mr. Martin has “hiked all over this state” yet condemns Mr. Gillett for “… riding his horse or four-wheeler on public land and using that land and its resources in a way that he sees fit for his own gain.” Sounds like that´s exactly what Mr. Martin is doing. Is he arrogant and self-centered then, too? "

Steven L. Rice, Boise

My faith in the people of Boise has been restored

wink.gif
wink.gif

I spent the day yesterday at the State Capitol with my sister working The Buy Idaho Show.
My brother-in-law has a product that he holds a patent on and we were there showing it.
I thought this was sooo funny.
It's a lic. plate frame for RV's (in Idaho we have to buy and display RV stickers)on Camp trailers,motorhomes,campers------so he has this design on frames that hold the sticker and a place to put a logo or saying on the top.
We had people ask if we could put there own logo on it and one of the ones that came up a number of times was----------"save 100 elk,kill a wolf"
No kidding, I about lost it.
Here is these men in suites talking about putting that on the lic plate frame.
I got quite an ear full on the wolf in Idaho.

One of them told her they would go over real good in his district.
She is making him one in red white blue,with that on top .
I have one painted in camo on my trailer,I might have to change the logo on it now LOL

A wonderful image for all Idahoans! And such a witty saying, too!! How are the ones selling that say, "Don't tailgate or I'll flick a booger on you."?
rolleyes.gif

But good luck to your entrepreneur brother in law. Beats being a welfare rancher.

Are the ATV clubs proposing any solutions at the Legislature to clean up their problems?
biggrin.gif
I was kinda hoping they'd at least ask for larger license plates so they could be read easier when they're tearing across the landscape!
smile.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-16-2003 18:44: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Oh hit a nerve did it?
Now you have another soap box to start,BAN THE BUMPER STICKER'S.
The other thing that was talked about was how to account for the poll's that show more people for the wolf-------That got a big laugh (and some of the other postes already knew the answer)you write it to come out with the results your looking for !!!!.
Funny thing not one person there that I talked to knew anyone that got called .Big suprize there .

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-16-2003 19:57: Message edited by: Muledeer4me ]</font>

"Are the ATV clubs proposing any solutions at the Legislature to clean up their problems? I was kinda hoping they'd at least ask for larger license plates so they could be read easier when they're tearing across the landscape"

I think there were asking for bigger & better trail systems.
wink.gif
wink.gif

It's possible to do a very scientific poll of Idaho residents by calling 500 of them (probably 200 would be enough). Then they can calculate the margin of error and include that with the poll information, as they usually do. Anyone who thinks they should know someone who has been polled should try to learn something about polling.

Using your logic, I suppose there's never been a valid poll done on anything. Interesting that so many use them to plan strategy!

I'm sure you think you took a scientific poll by asking some people a question, but do you really think it would hold up to scrutiny by anyone who knows anything?
biggrin.gif

I'm betting the ATV clubs do NOTHING again this year at the Legislature.
biggrin.gif
All the talk about being concerned about ATV abuse will be proven to be BS.
biggrin.gif
All BS, no action!
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-16-2003 20:17: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

"I'm sure you think you took a scientific poll by asking some people a question, but do you really think it would hold up to scrutiny by anyone who knows anything?"

No I really dont think that at all Ithaca,all I did was talk to some people and had a good laugh at the expence of all the tree hugger/anti's

"I'm betting the ATV clubs do NOTHING again this year at the Legislature. All the talk about being concerned about ATV abuse will be proven to be BS. All BS, no action! "

LOL Better watch the ticker there Ithaca I see we hit another nerve.
Your right though,if they arent doing it like you would its nothing but pure BS HaHaHa.
Ban the bastards
eek.gif
eek.gif
Not sure thats going to happen ,on my way home I drove past snake river yamaha WOW
eek.gif
eek.gif
they were selling those machines like hot cakes.
Keep up the good work Ithaca we all need a good soap box ,or two or three or four or five or six or---------------LMAO

I'm having a great time laughing at the BS ATV clubs! My ticker is better than ever, thank you. More ATV restrictions on the way!
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-16-2003 22:21: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

You know, you two are cracking me up. Here we go with the finger pointers syndrom.

1. we as sportsmen, do have a responcibility to the non hunting public as they make up about 1/2 of the public...

2. most of the people who are screaming at the top of their lungs about the wolf having rights, have no damn idea how an eco-system works nor do they want to understand. they only want everyone to agree with them...

3. why are we waiting for someone to do something about ATV's, BLA BLA BLA. there are already enough rules we need to enforce the ones in place. make the laws stick and increase fines for violators. and this is the key(we the people, have to turn in the violators), take an active stand in policing the public lands.

4. we as sportsmen and wemen have to stop fighting among ourselves and start standing togather and fight the right fight.

Sorry I got wound up a little
I'm done
Dic
frown.gif
confused.gif
fight.gif
soapbox.gif

Dic,your right.
We need to enforce the laws we have now.
Many of us have said it so many time's down here.There are plenty of them on the books now.
We need to police our own,most of the atv riders & owners that post here have strong feeling about that and have come out and said it.
(That alone is not enough for some people.)
We need to be respectfull towards the non-hunting public-----I agree ,but without cowering down so low they run right over the top of us.
(Coyotes or Dog debate)
That is one of the problem we face LOL some have tried there best to run over us but we dont seem to die & go away.
wink.gif
wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Anyone who thinks they should know someone who has been polled should try to learn something about polling.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
smile.gif
That is why many are pushing for a sampling method to be used instead of a direct count for the Census as it will give BETTER results.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back