Caribou Gear

More Fuel for the Hate on the Wilks Brothers

Well, whatever they do, I think people need to realize just how dangerous our economy is with all that money Obummer printed. People at the street level don't understand it. These guys do. It isn't very smart to have all you money in cash right now and it sure as hell ain't smart to have it in that market propped up with Monopoly money. The safest place is land and I have to believe that's what is causing the demand.

Trickle Down Tyranny. It starts with hoarding at the top and the top has started to hoard.

Fair enough... the problem I see surrounds many factors though one in particular; At statehood, Feds transferred to ID State some 4.25 million acres since then an approx. 40% of that state land has been sold to private parties such as Boise Payette Timber Co., some in the Potlatch area... So from face value, the sell to timber companies who have honored the people's call to fair use of the land that was originally in the people's possession and found with more recent events of Weyerhaeuser charging people to use "their" land... to now, timber companies selling the land to private people - thus completely evicting people from land that was originally theirs, gone into state hands of which one gov or another... one politician or another greased palms turns to SALE!...

What I see is the history of our land going through the channels to privatized ownership. So from private to private... ok if we look at the recent turn of events though if we dig back this is most certainly not the case.

Thus I hold dear the fed land stays... OUR land.

Last edited:
Not anymore.....

Tangential I realize but pertinent.

I confess I'm no expert on Obama Care, and would still stand by the argument that you can keep your doctor if you pay him directly (there is no law preventing such a stand alone agreement, and if your doctor no longer wants you, that is on him, not Obama Care; in other words, Obama Care does not tell a doctor he can't treat someone) but I would ask you to educate me on the inability to choose an insurance plan, either within Obama Care or outside of it, that includes the doctor of your choice. If your doctor accepts insurance, then why can't you buy that insurance? Thanks.

. . . approx. 40% of that state land has been sold to private parties such as Boise Payette Timber Co., some in the Potlatch area...

I wonder if Idaho retained any kind of rights/easements in the sale, or was it an out-right sale, fee simple absolute subject to no conditions no how? Each of the individual sales should be reviewed, or title searches done to see if any rights were retained. If the timber companies were merely allowing people to continue access, out of the kindness of their hearts, when they didn't have to, then I have to toss them a bone. Thanks. Too bad they didn't encumber it for public hunting before sale to Wilks, et al. It would have reduced value, but hey, if they have kind hearts . . ..

Hell, if Idaho didn't retain an easement at transfer, why didn't Idaho try to buy an easement? The public probably would have been fine with tax breaks and other incentives, or maybe even cash.

Too bad they didn't. Greased palms, indeed.

So, this was a private land transfer?

I know there is despise for the Wilks here, but have they done anything illegal on this case?

It was private timber company land. When you look at how many of these timber companies acquired land (old railroad sections, land trades, and sweetheart deals with outrageously low sale prices) you get a better feel as to why people get upset. Idaho also has a great history of allowing the timber companies to work out tax deals where they pay virtually no property tax on their landholdings. The loss of this access is a bummer and it also scares me when you look into further land holdings that Potlatch and other timber companies have across this state. They are already trying to make people pay access fees on land that isn't legally posted and marked, selling leases for prime camping spots, and sell smaller parcels all the time when they have recreational value. They have also been cutting younger and younger timber and in north Idaho right now just pillaging the land; it sure seems like they are trying to cut everything they've got which worries me they are trying to get all the timber and then maybe get rid of the land.

They have also been cutting younger and younger timber and in north Idaho right now just pillaging the land; it sure seems like they are trying to cut everything they've got which worries me they are trying to get all the timber and then maybe get rid of the land.

I saw that way up the St. Joe and east of Avery back in the 80s. The only way enviro's could gum up their works (other than ESA) is the Clean Water Act. Hot, cobble embedded bottoms and trashing the river without buffers, etc. But, if successful, the enviro's are the bad guys for killing the timber industry and jobs. Without the enviros though, the land and water look like shit. But the companies could get hunters on board because their clear cutting brought in more elk. I'm tired just thinking about it.

That land had been open for generations. Families built a lot of memories and felt like they were a part of it. For the Wilks to buy it and shut it down is entirely within their rights, but the backlash they are receiving for acting like Feudal Lords instead of neighbors is well deserved.

People like the Wilks are working to turn America in to Europe so they can be counts, lords and dukes. We have the good luck to simply be their serfs.

Ben, honest question(and I'll value your answer because unlike a lot of folks you'll give factual based answers instead of a biased opinion)how many of the Wilks land purchases have been public land transfers?

If the Wilks overstep their boundaries and encroach on public or adjacent private, then folks have every right to go after them. Within their property lines they have every right to do what they please within the conference new of the laws.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I'll support private property rights till the cows come home (so long as all costs of the use are internalized by the owner; i.e. you can't sht in the crick or pollute the air and let it fk your neighbor down stream). Hell, I'm against corner hopping for crying out loud. But when the players make the rules of a hated game, I feel justified in hating them too. I'm not talking about the Wilks here because I don't know much about 'em. I'm talking about any pay-for play, influence-peddling, and the latter day beneficiaries of it. If grandpappy and his senator scratched each other's back in 1800s and now you are a silver spoon, then don't spout all "free-market, taxes are too high" BS. Take your ill-gotten gains, be happy, thank your lucky stars and keep your mouth shut. Your inheritance has been compounding up while everyone else's have been compounding down. Compounding works both ways, hence the disparity in this nation and the world.

Ben, honest question(and I'll value your answer because unlike a lot of folks you'll give factual based answers instead of a biased opinion)how many of the Wilks land purchases have been public land transfers?

If the Wilks overstep their boundaries and encroach on public or adjacent private, then folks have every right to go after them. Within their property lines they have every right to do what they please within the conference new of the laws.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I wont answer the question for Ben, but as to the wilks doing what they want on their land, I will. Just because you have a "right" to do certain things on your land, doesn't mean its the right thing to do. It also doesn't make you less of an asshole just because it was within your "rights" to do something.

Example is the fence the wilks constructed in the Durfees. Not with-standing the fact they trespassed, and essentially didn't receive any punishment for it, its just wrong. The fact they constructed the type of fence they did, where they did, proves beyond a doubt they are A-holes of epic proportions. There was no real need for the fence, only the fact that they "have the right" to build a fence where it will impede elk movement, cause resource damage, confuse access, etc.

They don't care how that fence impacts legal access, how it impacts wildlife, how it impacts wildlife movement, or anything else. So, even though legally, they have the "right", the fact they show no concern for anyone, or anything else, with such a move, proves what they are.

I have no use for people of that stripe, even if they have the "right" to do certain things.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for landowners that enter into agreements like Block Management or Hunter Management agreements. Its very generous of those landowners to not only do things that support hunting, but also support the idea of public wildlife and public access to that wildlife. I have been fortunate enough to hunt on some of those properties and in the case of several, they are literally sitting on a gold mine that they could just as easily lock up with a lease agreement to an outfitter. Yet, they allow public hunters access to OUR wildlife and their property...humbling. Typically these types of landowners also care a great deal about the wildlife from the start, so it goes without saying that they would never do something that was well within their rights, if it harms public wildlife.

That's the difference, its about the attitude that landowners display while exercising their rights. Some wield it like a club, some use their rights sparingly in a responsible manner.

Pretty easy to see the difference.

Last edited:
I wont answer the question for Ben, but as to the wilks doing what they want on their land, I will. Just because you have a "right" to do certain things on your land, doesn't mean its the right thing to do. It also doesn't make you less of an asshole just because it was within your "rights" to do something.

Example is the fence the wilks constructed in the Durfees. Not with-standing the fact they trespassed, and essentially didn't receive any punishment for it, its just wrong. The fact they constructed the type of fence they did, where they did, proves beyond a doubt they are A-holes of epic proportions. There was no real need for the fence, only the fact that they "have the right" to build a fence where it will impede elk movement, cause resource damage, confuse access, etc.

They don't care how that fence impacts legal access, how it impacts wildlife, how it impacts wildlife movement, or anything else. So, even though legally, they have the "right", the fact they show no concern for anyone, or anything else, with such a move, proves what they are.

I have no use for people of that stripe, even if they have the "right" to do certain things.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for landowners that enter into agreements like Block Management or Hunter Management agreements. Its very generous of those landowners to not only do things that support hunting, but also support the idea of public wildlife and public access to that wildlife. I have been fortunate enough to hunt on some of those properties and in the case of several, they are literally sitting on a gold mine that they could just as easily lock up with a lease agreement to an outfitter. Yet, they allow public hunters access to OUR wildlife and their property...humbling. Typically these types of landowners also care a great deal about the wildlife from the start, so it goes without saying that they would never do something that was well within their rights, if it harms public wildlife.

That's the difference, its about the attitude that landowners display while exercising their rights. Some wield it like a club, some use their rights sparingly in a responsible manner.

Pretty easy to see the difference.

I don't know about all this Buzz. You had no trouble defending "people of that stripe" in this thread from the past.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunt...r-Builds-Problem-Fence&highlight=flying+ranch.

Crickets!

Buzz's old boss was the one that started the wealthy hording large western properties trend. You guy's can give him some hate too.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back