More deer killed by wolves than hunters in some Wisconsin counties

I would guess this statistic applies too a significant chunk of MN. From just north of Hinckley over towards Brainerd and everything north of that.
"100 series" permit areas hold the majority of the wolf population and 2018 hunter killed deer was 50k. 2,600 minimum winter wolf population with would be 52k deer killed at 20 deer a piece.

Dang wolf hunting ought to be getting pretty good in some areas I'd think, gives me some motivation.

I can see this going down the road of letting the wolves handle population control and lessen the number of tags. I don't begrudge the wolves anymore than anti-hunters begrudge us.

I can see this going down the road of "We gotta kill all them woofs so I can get my freezer meat!"

Because that's been the narrative from the hunting community for the last 100 years.

Are we so selfish as a community that we begrudge other living things the right to eat?
Ben, are wolves still ESA restricted even though #'s far outweigh the ESA principle and deny State management of wolves in the MI,WI, MN area?
I know the common sense approach for the following is taking place, I do not believe they are able to be effective managed as in MT, ID, and WY, yet.

Ben, are wolves still ESA restricted even though #'s far outweigh the ESA principle and deny State management of wolves in the MI,WI, MN area?
I know the common sense approach for the following is taking place, I do not believe they are able to be effective managed as in MT, ID, and WY, yet.

Charles,

Are wolves as a species worth our respect & conservation efforts?

Regardless of status, the hunting community's animosity towards wolves does more to help the anti-hunting community than anything else.

Wolves need to be managed in the midwest just as much as they need to be managed in the west. The difference is that we can't shoot wolves yet. They had a season for 1 or 2 years awhile ago but shut it down pretty quick. Hunters are managing species. Wolves aren't needed to provide control over numbers like they once were. Wolves don't care if theres 1 deer left on earth or 1,000,000. They will kill them if they're hungry. That being said, is there a place for them in the midwest? In my opinion, no. Hunters have taken their role in management and have done better. We had a pack of 8 wolves that moved into our area around brainard. Deer went from abundant, to almost gone completely. Deer hunting went from being able to kill a deer or two a year to being lucky to see a deer track for about 3 years. Then one year something happened and we never saw wolf scat or deer kills anymore. Not sure if the neighbors took matters into their own hands or if the wolves moved out to a different herd to wipe out but we're finally recovering and have a healthy herd again. Just like clockwork, the wolf sign is starting to show up again now.

Charles,

Regardless of status, the hunting community's animosity towards wolves does more to help the anti-hunting community than anything else.
Wolves are well regarded by myself... I can not speak for others. My question revolves around whether they are able to be managed by the States or are they still in an over objective ESA restricted status from State managed status? Do you know?
I have more sympathy for those faced with wolves apex predatory kill ratio if their own state still has their hands tied behind their back.

I can see this going down the road of "We gotta kill all them woofs so I can get my freezer meat!"

Because that's been the narrative from the hunting community for the last 100 years.
While true, we are a much smaller percent of the populous voting/voicing on the matter.
I can hear my scenario being voiced already and we don't even have any solid numbers.

While true, we are a much smaller percent of the populous voting/voicing on the matter.
I can hear my scenario being voiced already and we don't even have any solid numbers.

I hear it as well, and I give it as much credence as the anti-wolf malarkey some folks send out.

Charles,

What's the deer population of those midwestern states, and what has it done in the last 30 years of having wolves there?

I'm all for management, hunting & trapping of wolves, and the congressional delisting rider for the Great Lakes population. Articles like this don't help achieve that goal.

My opinion of wolves changes often but is almost always opposite the opinion of the last person I talked to about wolves. Generally pretty good nuance on the issue on the HT forums at least tho.

This certainly applies to NW Ontario. In a province that wants to increase moose populations they certainly go about it ass backwards. Province went from being able to hunt wolves with a small game licence in NW to having to go to a ministry office and buy a tag to hunt wolves and only 2 allowed each year. This applies to coyotes as well if you can believe it. So the few avid predator hunters we had were hobbled. They also cancelled the spring bear hunt on false information about orphaning bear cubs. While many in our MNR see the problems and relate to the hunting community there are some in there who are definately anti hunting causing problems with management.

Wolves need to be managed in the midwest just as much as they need to be managed in the west. The difference is that we can't shoot wolves yet. They had a season for 1 or 2 years awhile ago but shut it down pretty quick. Hunters are managing species. Wolves aren't needed to provide control over numbers like they once were. Wolves don't care if theres 1 deer left on earth or 1,000,000. They will kill them if they're hungry. That being said, is there a place for them in the midwest? In my opinion, no. Hunters have taken their role in management and have done better. We had a pack of 8 wolves that moved into our area around brainard. Deer went from abundant, to almost gone completely. Deer hunting went from being able to kill a deer or two a year to being lucky to see a deer track for about 3 years. Then one year something happened and we never saw wolf scat or deer kills anymore. Not sure if the neighbors took matters into their own hands or if the wolves moved out to a different herd to wipe out but we're finally recovering and have a healthy herd again. Just like clockwork, the wolf sign is starting to show up again now.

Perhaps instead of looking at the wolves, you should look at the severity of the winters preceding the years of scarce deer. Remember, correlation doesn't imply causation.

Perhaps instead of looking at the wolves, you should look at the severity of the winters preceding the years of scarce deer. Remember, correlation doesn't imply causation.
We have 900 acres bordered by 1000 acres of state land that is landlocked. I have access to almost 2000 acres that I regularly frequent. I can tell you that they were caused by wolves. I stumbled upon many kills. The winters weren't very severe at all. I get saying this in some general area where someone may hunt once a year, but I know the property like the back of my hand. It's survived the harshest of winters. There are great food sources, but when an apex predator comes in and kills all the deer. Remains are left behind.

More like we need to kill the wolves to bring them back to the agreed population that was decided by qualified people. If you have never been to Wisconsin you would see that it is far far different in population and urban sprawl than the state you live in.

Last edited:

I laughed. You clearly dont live kin WI or know much about the WI wolf issue so you brad brush is by mistake.

Charles,

I disagree, people who are anti hunting don't want us hunting and why would they care if we love or hate wolves. They are anti hunting. Really.

Back