Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Moose in Montana

OP, you are playing with house money man. You don't have to obligate yourself to a certain size moose. Just go kill one!

Just check the B&C book for Shiras and see what parts of MT have put a moose in the book in the past decade or two.

Then talk to some biologists for the areas you like, and ask them questions about moose habits and behavior to help narrow your search.

Then take off during the rut and hunt the hell out of them. I bet you will find a good moose.

Right now you're getting picked on but show some effort and come back with more nuanced, specific questions about moose and their habits and guys will help you out. 👍

OP, you are playing with house money man. You don't have to obligate yourself to a certain size moose. Just go kill one!

Just check the B&C book for Shiras and see what parts of MT have put a moose in the book in the past decade or two.

Then talk to some biologists for the areas you like, and ask them questions about moose habits and behavior to help narrow your search.

Then take off during the rut and hunt the hell out of them. I bet you will find a good moose.

Right now you're getting picked on but show some effort and come back with more nuanced, specific questions about moose and their habits and guys will help you out. 👍
This is about the best advice you could get. Reach out to the biologists, check the hunt reports, and if you want HT help, then start a thread that actually introduces you, what you're about, how you came into having the tag, etc. Then keep the story going as the summer goes along, you don't have to be specific, but if you say you're in Region 3 or looking along the ____ River, you might get a guy or gal on here to PM you with a bull they've seen in that area. Go look at the other Moose threads and see what people have turned up, where and when, and how they narrated their stories. Good luck with your search, and if you stick around, welcome to Hunttalk- I hope you share a few stories of your own at some point and help the next tagholder out.

This thread...... LMFAO. I can't even fathom how badass it would be too have a governors tag in my pocket, with endless opportunities.

Only the bull knows where the bull lives.....

Your job is to crack that code. Don't be like Jimmy John. 😁

If I turn one up I'll let you know in my travels. I only want the tenderloins and backstraps for reimbursement.

I wanted to reach out to those in the know as it relates to Moose in Montana. I have been blessed with a Montana Governors Moose tag for 2021 and am looking for a special moose. I have hunted Montana for 20 years and know several nooks and crannies in the state and have come across some nice moose in the Region 2 Kootenai and Lolo. I have researched and plan to lay glass on the Red Rocks Lake Unit in the SW as well as the NW corner Lincoln county unit. My research suggests Wolves have pounded the Region 1 and 2 moose and elk so I don’t want to waste time. What I am finding is every unit has the potential for a 160” or better moose but it comes down to knowing a guide or hunter who has an eye on one. My post is to get any insight or even connect with an outfitter/guide that is willing to help me locate and hunt this once in a lifetime beast out in blue sky country. I can hunt anytime, any unit, any weapon.....Any useful insight is helpful.(y)
Thank you in advance!
I don’t know it to be true but I BELIEVE from looking at Randy’s Son’s moose hunt and the country they were in on the YouTube video, that he killed in the Red Rocks unit. Anyone know if I am correct?
How much did you pay for the tag?

OP - good luck and congrats on your tag. And I don't see anything wrong with your post.

The guys that know little tend to take out their frustrations on posts like yours. Some of it is jealousy. But you will get some PMs with some good nuggets. But probably not the pic and coordinates that Mossback could give you.

OP - good luck and congrats on your tag. And I don't see anything wrong with your post.

The guys that know little tend to take out their frustrations on posts like yours. Some of it is jealousy. But you will get some PMs with some good nuggets. But probably not the pic and coordinates that Mossback could give you.
Cute.....

I’m guessing quite a few of these guys know more “than a little”.

Speaking for myself, I’m not jealous at all. It does make me sad though, that the focus is on size of the trophy and not size of the experience. If I had a governor tag I’d take 3-4 weeks off and have one hell of an adventure. If the OP can’t take that kind of time off, he’s better served hiring a guide.

Hunt the core areas and you’ll find moose. My only question would be which unit do I start in.

Can’t imagine holding a governors tag in any state for any species and not making a big long adventure of it. There’s plenty of game farms out there if shooting the biggest for bragging rights and going back to your normal life is all you are after.

For what he spent on that state wide tag he could have come to Alberta and shot what he was looking for 2-3 times is my guess.

just FWIW, my guess is 40K USD??? I loved the OP and the turmoil from it. Made my day so far with the humour from others. They are bang on with their statements of enjoying the hunt and effort and forgetting about the numbers. I think these bulls scored 171 & 176 . Shiras by SCI standards.moose 3.jpg
kens moose.jpg

For what he spent on that state wide tag he could have come to Alberta and shot what he was looking for 2-3 times is my guess.

just FWIW, my guess is 40K USD??? I loved the OP and the turmoil from it. Made my day so far with the humour from others. They are bang on with their statements of enjoying the hunt and effort and forgetting about the numbers. I think these bulls scored 171 & 176 . Shiras by SCI standards.View attachment 184749
View attachment 184750
What unholy cannon did you shoot that moose with? It looks like you put a sparkler bomb in the exit wound.

I think one of the heartburns people have is hunters that draw tags for the sake of the tag and then try to find a place to hunt.
And then get frustrated that a trophy isn’t behind every tree on a bma.

For much of the state, seeing a moose is rare or a treat.

wow what a tag to have, good luck on the quest.

Winning a governor's tag or super tag would be one of life's rarest & exquisite lottery tickets IMO. I would most definitely sit in stunned disbelief and a daze for days until I could wrap my hands around it. Hopefully the OP understands the rarity of his award, and enjoys the full extent of the hunt.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back