Moose in Montana

If I had the means, I'd buy auction/governor's permits like they were going out of style and would care too much about what anybody thought.

If I were ever to have a 3rd Shiras permit, I'd want to hunt one locally - regardless of size.

I believe I saw a 200" range Shiras moose once in MT. It looked like an Alaska Yukon moose. I don't think anybody killed him, but I do think somebody has his paddles from 2014 or 2015.

In terms of antler size, of the top 3 moose I have ever seen in Montana, I have seen the top 2 in the last year.

Something I was told about moose tags is that biologists often have no clue about Moose populations in their districts. This cuts both ways - some districts may be overharvested, while others could actually sustain higher tag numbers. I am aware that the general trend for moose populations is headed in the wrong direction.

Is this useful information? Probably not, but I will say there are places in Montana with some damn big moose, and all the locals know about them, and all the locals will probably never draw a tag.

Good luck on your hunt. I hope you post a hunt report on here when all is said and done.

Something I was told about moose tags is that biologists often have no clue about Moose populations in their districts. This cuts both ways - some districts may be overharvested, while others could actually sustain higher tag numbers. I am aware that the general trend for moose populations is headed in the wrong direction.
Couldn't agree more with that statement. When I had my tag, the biologist was certainly surprised at the number of moose a buddy and I turned up. They had figured there was about half of what we saw, and we didn't begin to touch the entire unit.
I would also add that the units giving the most tags are no better than those units that only offer 1 or 2. Obviously genetics play a part, but age is a huge factor, so a unit with a half-dozen bulls in it, where maybe only one tag is issued and there's some backcountry aspect to the moose habitat *might* just hold the biggest moose. In the last couple years, there's been several rumors/photos (see Roadgoat's post) of near record/record book Moose in units that either don't have a hunt, or only offer a couple tags and aren't listed on the record books as a hotbed of big moose.

If I had the means, I'd buy auction/governor's permits like they were going out of style and would care too much about what anybody thought.

If I were ever to have a 3rd Shiras permit, I'd want to hunt one locally - regardless of size.

I believe I saw a 200" range Shiras moose once in MT. It looked like an Alaska Yukon moose. I don't think anybody killed him, but I do think somebody has his paddles from 2014 or 2015.
Think I might know the bull you're talking about...I'll send you some pics of the sheds and the bull alive.

Couldn't agree more with that statement. When I had my tag, the biologist was certainly surprised at the number of moose a buddy and I turned up. They had figured there was about half of what we saw, and we didn't begin to touch the entire unit.
I would also add that the units giving the most tags are no better than those units that only offer 1 or 2. Obviously genetics play a part, but age is a huge factor, so a unit with a half-dozen bulls in it, where maybe only one tag is issued and there's some backcountry aspect to the moose habitat *might* just hold the biggest moose. In the last couple years, there's been several rumors/photos (see Roadgoat's post) of near record/record book Moose in units that either don't have a hunt, or only offer a couple tags and aren't listed on the record books as a hotbed of big moose.
The only thing more annoying that shrapnel posting his moose picture a dozen times a week - is the fact that some of the moose quotas are set by folks who base the herd status on hunter success. In fact, if the hunter success doesn't maintain 80% or better, they opt to reduce the quota. Specifically the 3 huge wilderness units in the Madison Range that were continually cut in quotas due to that, then combined into one unit, and continually cut more and more.. Now,80% of the Madison Range, including the lion's share of all the Lee Metcalf Wilderness, has a total quota of 3. Each unit used to offer 5+ permits a decade ago, some even more if you go back into the 90s. About the time FWP allowed $10 moose, sheep and goat applications online, everybody was applying their entire extended family, most of which likely didn't care that much to hunt, and in those areas, you'll have to hunt for a moose. I see more moose than I do black bears and bull elk, every single year. If they are not being killed, what does it hurt to allow some folks to eat their permits?

I wanted to reach out to those in the know as it relates to Moose in Montana. I have been blessed with a Montana Governors Moose tag for 2021 and am looking for a special moose. I have hunted Montana for 20 years and know several nooks and crannies in the state and have come across some nice moose in the Region 2 Kootenai and Lolo. I have researched and plan to lay glass on the Red Rocks Lake Unit in the SW as well as the NW corner Lincoln county unit. My research suggests Wolves have pounded the Region 1 and 2 moose and elk so I don’t want to waste time. What I am finding is every unit has the potential for a 160” or better moose but it comes down to knowing a guide or hunter who has an eye on one. My post is to get any insight or even connect with an outfitter/guide that is willing to help me locate and hunt this once in a lifetime beast out in blue sky country. I can hunt anytime, any unit, any weapon.....Any useful insight is helpful.(y)
Thank you in advance!
I don’t know it to be true but I BELIEVE from looking at Randy’s Son’s moose hunt and the country they were in on the YouTube video, that he killed in the Red Rocks unit. Anyone know if I am correct?
You opened yourself up to certain "less than constructive" advice. You'll definitely need to put on your asbestos Underoos. I will say I've had several buddies pull moose tags over the last 3 years on the west side of the state. Only 1 failed to fill his tag and that was in Region 1. He only saw a cow and he hunted the region hard. Yes we have a predation problem up this way. Go find yourself a nice bull and soak in the process. I wouldn't put two thoughts about getting into the book. That can be the icing, but it shouldn't be the cake. That's just me but that's also my constructive advice.

wow what a tag to have, good luck on the quest.

Winning a governor's tag or super tag would be one of life's rarest & exquisite lottery tickets IMO. I would most definitely sit in stunned disbelief and a daze for days until I could wrap my hands around it. Hopefully the OP understands the rarity of his award, and enjoys the full extent of the hunt.
You don’t really win governors tags you buy them. I guess out bidding someone could be considered winning though. If I had unlimited funds I would probably win lots of governors tags 😂

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back