MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana unit 312 & 393

LIK2HNT

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has hunted elk in Montana just north of Bozeman in units 312 & 393. I got lucks and drew a moose tag for that area and would like to talk to anyone who has seen moose in the area. I will be scouting the area in mid August when I drop my Daughter off at MSU. And plan to hunt during the week of Thanksgiving. I am looking for information on the size of moose you have seen, and if they were high or low on the mountain. The bio for the area said there are a lot of moose, yet size and configuration of racks (width, size of palms, and points) are not monitored. Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.

Thanks Bill

Hunted those units for moose several times and elk many times. On vacation for the next few days but will PM you when I get home to Bozeman.

How much time do you have to hunt? The last week of sept and the first week of oct are good for the rut and calling.

Thanks MTnsheds I would appreciate that.
I can not take off during Sept. & Oct. due to work. Therefore I will be hunting the week of Thanksgiving and possibly the next also if need be. I will not be elk hunting also, just asking elk hunters for information on moose. If I get done early I may purchase a left over tag, but probably not because I do my own butchering and a moose is enough to tackle. Thanks again everyone

Bill

I hunt HD 393 alot and have seen moose almost every year. It is likely that you will see more elk than moose, so you may want to consider having a tag in your pocket. You may be able to purchase an Elk B tag for an antlerless elk for somewhat less expense if you are interested.

Your idea of asking elk hunters for moose reports is a good one. There are only a limited number of public land access points in HD 393, so you may be able to optimize hunting time by visiting the more likely areas. I think Thanksgiving week is the last week of the season, so plan accordingly. Snow conditions may significantly influence your hunting, so prepare for lots of snow at that time of the year. How much, who knows? Bring this up again on HT after mid October and hopefully you will get some good updates and useful information.

Good luck, be safe, bring sharp knives and a good saw.

All big game is closed the Sunday after Thanksgiving.You better negotiate some time earlier in the season.No offense,you are crazy to wait until the last week to hunt a moose,especially if you are from out-of-state.You got the tag,make it happen.

I agree with Hem. Nuts to wait til then. You'll miss all the action.

The most moose, and the biggest moose I have seen or heard of being seen has been that last week of season...........

A lot of the moose earlier than that are down on the private stuff.

But I'll be spending just about every day in the unit except for when I'm hunting mountain goats...........they give out only 3 moose permits there and it appears that you and I are holding two of them:) Another gal in the area drew the third one.

I'm holding out till I find a good one, even if its the last weekend of the season. Last year and the year before, the biggest bulls I personnaly know of seen were on thanksgiving weekend.

Keep in touch, I'll keep you in the loop on what we are seeing.

I'm excited to hunt the rut too but that first part of October is going to have to be dedicated to Mountain Goats for me......

here is my wife's 2011 bull from that area she shot late sept. we found a good bull and several cows last year while deer hunting and a ton of moose sign. I know he has been in this area for at least two years early in the season. Critter, if you want a little info pm me. lik2hnt, I know you plan on coming late and I know where 2 bulls were killed in late nov in the same area so keep in touch on here or pm me.

Attachments

• P1000690.JPG
    P1000690.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 1,794
Thanks everyone
I put in for vacation for the week before and week of Thanksgiving. Will be up there in mid August to learn the area and look for camping sites. Anyone have any information or pictures of moose in the area. I have no solid information on antler genetics. Have heard rumors of 40+ inch bulls, but only rumors. I would really like to find one in the 40 inch plus range with good palm, 8 to 10 points per side, and double or triple brow tines (my dream bull). Looking forward to giving it hell and tagging the best bull I can find. Thanks again

Bill

Track1 tell your wife congratulations on a great bull.
Critter looking forward to your updates

Last edited:
The bull your looking for of 40+ can and does exist in that unit. There are a handfull of bulls of that caliber in the unit. Some great bulls in the unit but they aren't easy to find. I debated for a long time when applying. One bull that made it through last season is my main reason for applying...........hoping to find him. Although for the type of Moose your dreaming of, the NW corner of the state would be a much better area to find that type of bull.

I'm hoping to be done moose hunting by the time you get here so I'll be glad to update you with all the information I've found up to the time you get here.

Went out for a few hours tonight, one bull spotted. Not quite shooter category but at least its a bull sighting. And when I say not quite a shooter, I mean its not even a shooter on the last hour of the last day:)LOL

Thanks everyone
I put in for vacation for the week before and week of Thanksgiving. Will be up there in mid August to learn the area and look for camping sites. Anyone have any information or pictures of moose in the area. I have no solid information on antler genetics. Have heard rumors of 40+ inch bulls, but only rumors. I would really like to find one in the 40 inch plus range with good palm, 8 to 10 points per side, and double or triple brow tines (my dream bull). Looking forward to giving it hell and tagging the best bull I can find. Thanks again

Bill

Track1 tell your wife congratulations on a great bull.
Critter looking forward to your updates

I haven't been on this board long, but I have quickly learned that if Critter gives advice....I should be listening! Good luck on the moose hunt guys!

Critter recommends hunting late in the season, when the big bulls show themselves and leave the private ground,yet he hopes to be done with his hunt well before.What gives? Sounds like thinning the competition to me.:) Just funnin'.

Sounds like you're kind of forced to hunt that last week, but another thing to consider is the really big guys can start shedding by then.

the really big guys can start shedding by then

No kidding! After three months scouting, hunting, drawing my bow on numerous bulls, finally in November I found the moose I was seeking. I spent an hour circling the meadow where he was feeding ... attempting to "grow" that second antler back on him. He was a half-rack trophy, so I left him to grow another full set the next year. I finally shot a smaller, but okay bull with my rifle. However, he tasted like a tough willow tree and someone trespassed across my pasture and stole the antlers off my wood barn. It was still a fun season. My wife said, "Don't bother with putting in for moose again. Just be happy to shoot one with your camera!"

I wish you better luck ... and will give you a report on any I shoot with my camera in HD 393.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back