Caribou Gear

Montana Unit 270?

psemuleys

This will be my first hunting season as a Montana resident since taking a Gov't job up in the far NE corner of the state. I have all my hunts planned out thus far...5-day 900 antelope, ND archery mule deer, and MT mule deer. I have that general elk tag that's burning a whole in my pocket, and since I have never been elk hunting, I've decided it's time to get my feet wet. I'm in excellent physical condition and in my low 20's, so any type of country is on the table at this point. I've done many backpack wilderness mule deer hunts in the past and have all the appropriate gear for that type of hunting. I've finagled Sep. 23-30th off from work for the hunt, and as of right now I'm looking at Unit 270 as my focal point. With the exception of the data I've been able to gather from the MT Fish & Game website, I know little about this unit.

My question is, is this unit a good choice as far as seeing good numbers of elk? I'm not looking for anything big, as I've never killed one before just trying to gain some experience. If there happened to be a few P&Y'ers running around that would be a bonus.

Also should I focus on the Anaconda-Pintler wilderness or the rest of the unit?

If anybody has any advice on this unit or any other for that matter, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Welcome and congrats on your tags.

Are you talking about elk for Unit 270, or did you draw the 270 deer tag? I did not look, but something tells me that Unit 270 is by permit only for both archery and rifle deer hunts. I could be wrong, and I am sure guys in "The 'Root" will correct me if I am wrong.

I have never hunted it, so am of little help, but other guys here have hunted it. I hope to see great pics of lots of birds, fowl, and maybe one of those smoker whitetails that grow up in your new home area.

Congrats and good luck.

270 is one of the - if not the prime muley deer area and is closely monitored for activity by FWP... least I like to think such.
I don't hunt there for elk or whitetail due to minimizing my association with the value of the area. the few people who draw for 270 are darn excited as all heck for their rare muley draw and I simply do not want to impede on such a great hunt while chasing elk or whities... That is just me though...
With that said, I am sure there are elk though others here may have a better idea of the quality / quantity.
Maybe consider other areas. Your in NE MT for employ - If you are willing to travel across the state (relating to the 270 tag) for a good hunt - I think you may find better areas for a general Elk tag than tangle with the MONSTER Muleys that may have a lusty desire to consider as an elk... haha! :)

Good luck in your hunt! If I understand correctly (gov emp myself) you are exempt the resident requirement if moved by fed so I take it you are not hunting under non resiudent status...?

Pintlers are a good area for elk... Check maps for private land boundries etc... check the block management areas as well. (This is coming from a moderate hunter's perspective - btw. view 216 / 211 if pintlers are of interest

additional edit: To clear the air - 261 is hot for muley big bucks as well, was referring to 270 as that is the specific of this thread. Of course e. fk broot is all elk. Special advisory - orange can be spotted from the space station... Haha!

Last edited:
Ya...I wish I had the deer tag! lol...No this will be an elk hunt. As far as the WT's go, I really want to get one before I transfer to a new location down the road, but I'm a mule deer hunter thru and thru. I'm gonna try a pull the trigger on a WT, but it will be a test! lol

270 is one of the - if not the prime muley deer area and is closely monitored for activity by FWP... least I like to think such.
I don't hunt there for elk or whitetail due to minimizing my association with the value of the area. the few people who draw for 270 are darn excited as all heck for their rare muley draw and I simply do not want to impede on such a great hunt while chasing elk or whities... That is just me though...
With that said, I am sure there are elk though others here may have a better idea of the quality / quantity.
Maybe consider other areas. Your in NE MT for employ - If you are willing to travel across the state (relating to the 270 tag) for a good hunt - I think you may find better areas for a general Elk tag than tangle with the MONSTER Muleys that may have a lusty desire to consider as an elk... haha! :)

Good luck in your hunt! If I understand correctly (gov emp myself) you are exempt the resident requirement if moved by fed so I take it you are not hunting under non resiudent status...?

Ya...I'm hunting as a resident. Any other suggestions as far as units with good numbers of elk? I'm planning on backpacking...wilderness or just areas with lots of road closures. It's such a tricky state to settle in on a unit, without being able to scout it first. I was thinking the Cabinets last week, but I'm concerned it may be over run with outfitters. I'm just so confused! lol

270 has historically been an awesome general elk unit. Right now though, it's probably one of the worst in the state. A combination of wolves, lions, and a devastating cow massacre that happened over the course of a couple years, have all but destroyed the unit.

Also, as far as I know, most the pintler elk rut on the east side of the range, and winter in 270, so I'm thinking the archery hunting in 270 wouldn't be that great even without the ridiculously low numbers.

I live an hour away from 270, and have never even thought about hunting elk there, for what that's worth.

PSEmuley- If you live in the far NE corner of Montana you will be driving through some of the better elk hunting the state has to offer to get to some good elk hunting in the far west. As far as the Cabinets go, I live right there. They have a lot of outfitters (what's the definition of a lot?) but are not overrun by any means. You can get away from hunters by hunting ridges that don't have roads on them. ( gated or ungated)
The wilderness area is not known for its great elk hunting. Most elk occur outside of the wilderness boundries in the Nat. Forest. There's some nice mulies in the wilderness but I know very few bowhunters who consistently kill mulies in there. It's so thick and heavily timbered it's more a game of chance encounters than something you could be consistent at. The eastern part of the state has many more mulies than the western half believe it or not. I would guess our whitetail to mule deer ratio at around 70% whitetails vs 30% mulies.

The Northwest has IMO the best hunting on a general tag for trophy quality elk and deer but it comes at a heavy price. You will be so sick of brush and timber after two weeks of hunting here you might not come back. It's no secret that there are good animals here, there's good access and lots of public land. Hence your dreams of finding a secret Shangri-la of elk hunting paradise where bulls come running to the call is not going to happen. All the roaded areas get plenty of pressure and the bulls get wise. There's plenty of cover so the elk don't get blown out of drainages like in many areas but they learn quickly to come in downwind and silently if they come in at all.

The APW area right now has some of the highest densities of wolves in the state. Some areas are really void of elk. I think your to far West. Look between the far west and the Breaks for better hunting. Some areas need permits.

As you can see, there aren't a lot guys saying, "Go to Pine Creek" or up on "Deer Mountain"... but you are getting great advice staying away from 270...even when it was good it was tough... I know a couple people who dropped the hammer on elk last year....and they were just lucky!! ;0)

Anyhow, yeah... look at the country between you and Butte... Lots of elk country....

Back