Montana Sheep Unit 503

runningmt

Curious if there is anyone on this forum who would like to share their experience drawing this tag, and how their season went. I would love to hear how the season progressed, and the stories of scouting and eventual harvest (or not).

thx

They don't give out many tags- like 3. So there might be 30 people who have done the hunt over the last decade. You have your research work cut out for you.

A friend of mine had it last year. Scouted a ton and shot the second biggest ram he could find. Mainly small sheep, and I believe his ram was around 155-160”.

A friend of mine had it last year. Scouted a ton and shot the second biggest ram he could find. Mainly small sheep, and I believe his ram was around 155-160”.
A friend of mine drew this tag about 20 years ago. As I recall, his sheep was in the low 150s as well.

It's amazing country.

Watched a guy in November last year shoot a ram right off the nice paved NRA road south of Barry's. First time seeing a ram loaded whole in the back of a pickup. Seems that's where most look for the sheep. I see them elsewhere in the Pryors.

I had the tag in 2018 and spent a lot of time in the unit June - November. Like mentioned above some guys just wait until November and wack one off the blacktop, but that doesn't seem to do the species or tag justice in my opinion. I'll shoot you a pm.

A friend of mine drew this tag about 20 years ago. As I recall, his sheep was in the low 150s as well.

It's amazing country.
Agreed, just went over there for a few days this week, camped at Barry’s, had the place to myself.......terrain is jaw-dropping. Can’t believe it took me this long to get over there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back