Montana September rifle hunt (HD 150)

Flyfish4ever

Hey all,
I drew my MT elk tag, I am hunting unit 150 and the unit is pretty unique in that it is essentially one large river drainage, with tall peaks surrounding it. (~3,000-4,000 vert from peaks to river)

my question is this: with it being a rifle hunt during the peak rut, but also still September, where would the elk likely be?

From my research I have done so far, the summer months say go high to find them, but the best food around is all in the meadows down by the river.

my logic is this:
cows find food-> bulls find cows

would it be worth it to spend my first day of scouting (2 days prior to season opener) scouting meadows, or is that time better invested in the mountains Scouting burns and small patches of food (in comparison to the large meadows)?

i have watched the e scouting videos and have color coded for mountain hunting Vs river bottom

Thank you all!

matt

I hate to be a naysayer, but do you have access to horses? I absolutely love big, wild country like the Bob, but it will be nearly impossible without horses. There’s a lot of other great country in Montana that is much more manageable and has much better elk populations.

I hate to be a naysayer, but do you have access to horses? I absolutely love big, wild country like the Bob, but it will be nearly impossible without horses. There’s a lot of other great country in Montana that is much more manageable and has much better elk populations.

I do. I am spending my summer doing work trips with an outfitter I’ve developed a relationship with over the past 5 years.

in exchange for me working the summer clearing trails, cutting wood, and packing for his outfitted trips, he is giving me a semi-guided trip for free.

I have been doing work trips for him to fish back there for 4 years and I have 2 full 8-day trips (12 college kids who want to fish the south fork, and will work half the trip) for him this year.

What else is a new college grad supposed to do before starting work in October?

no worries. Completely valid question

I do. I am spending my summer doing work trips with an outfitter I’ve developed a relationship with over the past 5 years.

in exchange for me working the summer clearing trails, cutting wood, and packing for his outfitted trips, he is giving me a semi-guided trip for free.

I have been doing work trips for him to fish back there for 4 years and I have 2 full 8-day trips (12 college kids who want to fish the south fork, and will work half the trip) for him this year.

What else is a new college grad supposed to do before starting work in October?

no worries. Completely valid question
In that case, rock on. Sounds like a great adventure.

Oh, and the surrounding mountains of course

Right on! glad to hear you have stock support. I don't have much info for you on elk habits between Big Prairie and the confluence. But the river bottom temperature in mid to late September is frequently in the 80s, and sometimes 90s.

Right on! glad to hear you have stock support. I don't have much info for you on elk habits between Big Prairie and the confluence. But the river bottom temperature in mid to late September is frequently in the 80s, and sometimes 90s.
Or snowing.

Also keep in mind that significant portions of the Bob may be closed due to wildfires. Best to have a couple of backup spots.

Going off memory so timeline is rough, but trails were closed in the Upper South Fork for opening day (Sept 15) in both 2017 and 2018. 2017 was a big fire year everywhere, 2018 not so much, but enough fire nearby to close some of the main trails.

Also keep in mind that significant portions of the Bob may be closed due to wildfires. Best to have a couple of backup spots.

Going off memory so timeline is rough, but trails were closed in the Upper South Fork for opening day (Sept 15) in both 2017 and 2018. 2017 was a big fire year everywhere, 2018 not so much, but enough fire nearby to close some of the main trails.

yep. our work trip in 2018 was forced out due to wildfire. Here is a picture from camp the night USFS came and told us to start packing up. Last year and 2017 didn’t affect our area but affected big salmon and the further north trails

Attachments

• C64DE4B3-2610-47F8-A444-A412CE030707.jpeg
    C64DE4B3-2610-47F8-A444-A412CE030707.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 27
My party got three bulls here last September. All above timberline within sight of the Divide. We did see some cows along the river on the way in. But I would be up high, listening for bugles. Looking in high lush meadows that hold moisture in the feed. Cover ground until you find spoor. It is hands down the toughest place I've hunted (and I've only hunted NW MT and Northern Idaho) but it's tough to beat for adventure.

My party got three bulls here last September. All above timberline within sight of the Divide. We did see some cows along the river on the way in. But I would be up high, listening for bugles. Looking in high lush meadows that hold moisture in the feed. Cover ground until you find spoor. It is hands down the toughest place I've hunted (and I've only hunted NW MT and Northern Idaho) but it's tough to beat for adventure.
wow this is great! i will keep this in mind!

There used to be two outfitters in this general area. Something to keep in mind for competition. I would look mid level or higher for elk.

Those two outfitters are uncle and nephew. I will be doing work with both throughout the summer so we are all on the same page. my plan is half the trip at one camp, half at the other.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back