Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana Season Opener

Mike and the crew have been out at elk camp since last Thursday. I swung in there yesterday to check in on them, and they are covered up in elk. They put the hurt on them one night at the water hole and now they are 3/5 of the way to being tagged out. I hear the footage is absolutely incredible. Biggest bull on the ground so far looks to be about 370" but they have another week to try and best that one. Pretty incredible year already.

I think Mike is planning on coming out early next week and maybe he will have time to post some more footage. But then we are headed back out to see about filling my tag.

No wonder September is my favorite month of the year to be a Montanan :)

Stay tuned..................

I hope somebody nailed that big 6 that's on the video - I think it's a bit bigger than most are giving it credit for. You guys must be hunting a real good place. Sounds like FUN.

Don't think they have seen that particular bull again, but they have seen several bigger ones. That said, I would be more than happy with the bull from the video! Crossin my fingers that they are still arround next week, when I can actually get away from work for a few days.

I am sure Mike will give the full story with pics and video to boot when he gets back to civilization.

Elkwhisper

Wow, I agree with Greenhorn..................he is a much better bull than that. We have taken a 370 and a 320 so far in the past 8 days and that bull in the video is easily over 340. In fact, Elkwisper bull from last year which is a sweet bull is very comparable in my mind, I would put $100 on the fact that that bull is over 350. My guess is 359 and 4/8":):);)

I know one thing for sure is he is better than 320 because my bull this year was 319 3/8 and that bull clearly has better fronts than mine...........

I'm agreeing with everyone who says this bull is 350 or better, what fronts that thing has and although the back doesn't match the fronts it's not to shabby--a shooter even in rifle season---

thanks for the great vid.....chris

We finally made it back to civilization. I'll get Part 2 up here in a couple days. Need time to pick through all the video. I did post a couple pictures under the thread - Big Bulls Down -

Was wondering if anybody ever got that big 6point on the video.. I think everybody was seriously under-judging it. I'd bet my house that it would easily score over 360. If it's alive you better make sure to get him next season because I bet it will be a true MT B&C bull, if it wasn't last season. That 7x6 from last year is very nice, but I'm thinking it would be dwarfed by the 6. Just my opinion, but I think the heavy body size and the marginal (though good) 4th tine, takes away from all the inches he definately has elsewhere. It's a beast. I was emailed pictures last week of an eastern MT bull that is in the 400 range last week. Hunters were from Billings I think.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back