Montana ridiculousness- Pref point debacle

That is what I figured.

Buy a PP the year before you want to go, buy a point when you apply the next year, then maybe you get drawn and maybe you don't with 2 PP's.

So when the odds with 1 PP got to 0%, can you just hold at one point indefinitely as long as you apply every year? You don't have to buy a preference point when you apply or during the points only period, right?

Same deal when 2 points goes to 0% odds.

At least there are other app deadlines that fall after the Montana combo results come out I suppose.
You are correct you can hold at a point as long as you apply.

I don't recall, can you opt out of being eligible for a returned tag? Would really suck for a guy looking to hunt a permit to get PP burned without even getting a shot in the permit drawing.
Yet another reason the NR permit draw is a complete sham. You might get your name in the pool 1 every 3 years. MIGHT. Or you may never get in the LQ draw ever again. Good luck

So it is for sure completely worthless to apply with 1 point from now on?

So it is for sure completely worthless to apply with 1 point from now on?
It will be this year if you are hoping to draw and hunt this year. The only chance (very small) that you will have is getting a returned general combo tag from a higher point holder that was successful but didnt want the general tag. If you do get that, you will lose your PP.

Odds with the 0 point draw won't be that great either I'm guessing. If there's 10k applicants with 2 points I'd guess the 0 point draw will be like 40% odds, maybe less if there's another bump in apps.

Odds with the 0 point draw won't be that great either I'm guessing. If there's 10k applicants with 2 points I'd guess the 0 point draw will be like 40% odds, maybe less if there's another bump in apps.
That's the thing though 40% is better than spending $100 for a 0% chance with 1 point lol

That's the thing though 40% is better than spending $100 for a 0% chance with 1 point lol
And if you don't pull the 0 pt draw this year you could be another 2 years away from drawing depending on what you do next year. If you buy a point and sit out a year, having 2 pts going into the 2023 draw should be very high odds if not guaranteed.

It's a gamble for the 0 pt draw where you wager your ability to accumulate adequate pref points. It's fairly predictable for the pref point draw.

Wow the more I read in this thread the more happy I am that I passed on buying in to this fiasco. Me being one of the common poor NR DIYers. Seems they are definitely being targeted for the short end of this Montana stick.

I can just walk away and take a break from applications until April - Colorado, where my decisions are already made. Lol

If you apply as a party are your PP avg'd? Do they round up or down let's say you have 2 guys with 2 and one guy with 1 going into the draw.

If you apply as a party are your PP avg'd? Do they round up or down let's say you have 2 guys with 2 and one guy with 1 going into the draw.
One other thing to remember is if you apply as a party and don't get drawn; your party is broken up when they run the returned licenses. So the 2 people with 2pp have a decent chance of pulling a returned tag while the person with 1pp has probably a 0% chance of drawing. And the 2 guys with 2pp will than lose their points.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back