Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana ridiculousness- Pref point debacle

POk3s

Okay, to keep it brief, here’s the boring backstory. I have 3 bonus points going into the elk draw. It’s really quite possible I can draw. I of course have to draw the elk combo license or start with points on that side of the fence.

Here is my thinking and my questions. I love hunting Montana whitetails. That hunt has treated me well and I’ve acquired lots of little honey holes. Can I, this year, apply for the deer combo but also just BUY the elk preference point?

It also sounds like I can’t return the elk portion of the combo license and then acquire or keep a bonus point? Correct? If I return the license I can’t then buy a preference point for it?

I’m in a similar situation, I want to deer hunt bad but don’t want to mess up my chances to hunt elk next year based on using my preference points on deer and then not being able to draw a general elk tag next year.

Okay, to keep it brief, here’s the boring backstory. I have 3 bonus points going into the elk draw. It’s really quite possible I can draw. I of course have to draw the elk combo license or start with points on that side of the fence.

Here is my thinking and my questions. I love hunting Montana whitetails. That hunt has treated me well and I’ve acquired lots of little honey holes. Can I, this year, apply for the deer combo but also just BUY the elk preference point?

It also sounds like I can’t return the elk portion of the combo license and then acquire or keep a bonus point? Correct? If I return the license I can’t then buy a preference point for it?
Do you already have any preference points or just bonus points? My understanding is preference points are not species specific, they apply to either deer, elk, or big game combos. So if you already have preference points and apply for deer your preference points will be used if you draw. If you don't currently have any preference points you could apply for deer with 0 points, and then buy a pref point this summer when they're available for next year, but not completely sure how that woks now since you can no longer go without applying and keep your preference points. I'd call and ask someone to be sure.

Breaking up the combo seems like a funding win. Get more money for tags, more $ for separate elk, deer PP. probably result in more deer pressure though if yahoos like me don’t grab combo tags and then never go deer hunting unless the elk tag gets punched early.

Maybe you’ll get lucky and get a returned deer tag and keep a PP for next year..

Do you already have any preference points or just bonus points? My understanding is preference points are not species specific, they apply to either deer, elk, or big game combos. So if you already have preference points and apply for deer your preference points will be used if you draw. If you don't currently have any preference points you could apply for deer with 0 points, and then buy a pref point this summer when they're available for next year, but not completely sure how that woks now since you can no longer go without applying and keep your preference points. I'd call and ask someone to be sure.
This is how I understand it too. Honestly I’ll probably be able to figure it out here in a bit when the apps open up. But I wanted to jump the gun as I was pondering it all in my head lol.

So I can’t hunt deer without using my points, so I can’t bank preference points for my future elk tag.

Honestly I think the only way to make this 100% is to sit out TWO YEARS so that I’m virtually 100% in everything.

Not being able to hunt deer because I want to hunt elk sure is a modern problem!

Preference points are what they are. Preference points are used to get you into the drawing for any combo deer/ elk, big game combo! Bonus points are used for any limited entry draw after drawing a combo. Hope this helps.

Apply for big game combo and your desired elk permit. If you don't draw the permit you can retain the deer combo and return the elk portion of the combo for 80% refund. You will lose your PP but you will have a 4th bonus point for elk and a deer tag.

Apply for big game combo and your desired elk permit. If you don't draw the permit you can retain the deer combo and return the elk portion of the combo for 80% refund. You will lose your PP but you will have a 4th bonus point for elk and a deer tag.
I understand that. The problem is trying to hunt Montana and build preference points at the same time. If I put in for the draw there’s too many things that can go wrong for me to not get the LQ tag and also have zero preference points again next year hahahaha

I understand that. The problem is trying to hunt Montana and build preference points at the same time. If I put in for the draw there’s too many things that can go wrong for me to not get the LQ tag and also have zero preference points again next year hahaha

Building preference points only helps you get the combo tag and you can only hold up to 3. It is frustrating having to acquire a combo just to be eligible for LQ permit draw. But that's the way it is. But that just means you pretty much have to apply for LQ the years you can draw the combo, which is looking to be ever other year or every 3rd year here moving forward.

Yeah what's this about? Just a money grab? I didn't hear any discussion about it in the meetings over the last couple months.
Yeah idk. People will pay it. They will get $200 from those going with an outfit, as they will be allowed to buy 2 to skip to the front of the line. Add in the part where the odds of drawing deer were better with 0pt than they were with 1pt in 2021. NR combo will be about a 1 in 3 year thing from here on out

Yeah idk. People will pay it. They will get $200 from those going with an outfit, as they will be allowed to buy 2 to skip to the front of the line. Add in the part where the odds of drawing deer were better with 0pt than they were with 1pt in 2021. NR combo will be about a 1 in 3 year thing from here on out

It would probably be a 1 in 3 year thing if guided NR didn't get 2 points. I suspect it will be worse than once every 3 years for DIY NR if the 2 pts for guided NR sticks going forward.

I was really hoping one of the things they'd cover for this regulation simplification was getting rid of the dual point system and just going to a bonus point. To me, that was the biggest source of confusion I've heard from people applying in MT. Instead they double the price of preference points while last years draw basically made them less valuable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back