Montana or Colorado Mule Deer Hunt?

Great whitetail hunting in the river corridors if you can find a spot.
I’m definitely more interested in the eastern units..In particular the units that border north and South Dakota. Not sure if I should focus on areas that have more trees/vegetation or other types of terrain. Looks to be plenty of blm land there. I’m still interested in Colorado as well..so many options there even with having zero points pref points for that state. Thanks for everyone’s replies and advice! Maybe we could do both!

South Eastern Montana has been over hyped in the hunting shows. Easy to get tags, Lots of deer and easy hunts almost on PRIVATE LAND. Do not except your public land hunt to be anything like the shows you have seen on TV. You will have to hunt hard to find a buck that was representative of the species 25 years ago. I would venture a guess that most of the hunters that are successful on good bucks are hunting private or just flat getting lucky and having the buck jump the fence when they are there.
Eastern Montana is a shadow of its former self. If you are ok with a two year old buck eastern Montana will work.

Has anyone ever hunted a muzzleloader deer tag in Colorado? The early season would be awesome in the high country..! Have always wanted to do an early season high country rifle or bow hunt..but I know the early rifle tags take quite a few points in CO.

I haven’t been on this forum much, but I spend a lot of time on other forums. I have hunted zero point 3rd rifle units in Colorado for the last 4 years. I also hunted eastern Montana last year for the first time. In my honest opinion a lot of the easy draw units in Colorado have gone downhill, to many tags and bad winters. I seen more deer, bigger deer, less hunting pressure, than I did in Colorado last year. Colorados trophy potential is definitely better but the ability to hunt 5 weeks in most of the state with great deer #s I would take a Montana tag very fun state to hunt in my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Has anyone ever hunted a muzzleloader deer tag in Colorado? The early season would be awesome in the high country..! Have always wanted to do an early season high country rifle or bow hunt..but I know the early rifle tags take quite a few points in CO.
I did in 2019 and really enjoyed it. Didn't see a lot of deer though. Full moon and high 80's. Shot a 3 point velvet buck on the 3rd day.

I have seen many multiples more bucks in 2nd and 3rd seasons. But muzzleloader was fun.

I’m definitely more interested in the eastern units..In particular the units that border north and South Dakota. Not sure if I should focus on areas that have more trees/vegetation or other types of terrain. Looks to be plenty of blm land there. I’m still interested in Colorado as well..so many options there even with having zero points pref points for that state. Thanks for everyone’s replies and advice! Maybe we could do both!
We spot and stalk them in the draws.

I hunted mule deer in MT last year and there are a ton of road hunters. If you can get off the road a little bit you may be able to find a few small bucks. I spent a lot of time a couple miles off the road and rarely ran into any animals. They get pressured a ton. If you don't find one on opening weekend, might as well eat the tag.

Wow! I after reading this post, i am glad i never bought any PP for Montana!

It's all I do. Most all the big bucks will be above timberline. Not easy hunting.

I’ve hunted SE Montana for the last 2 years. There are a lot of opportunities if you get off the road. So many people road hunt it’s ridiculous. Contact land owners well before the season starts. Hopefully I will be back this year. Good luck on you decision.

2dognite

I’ve hunted SE Montana for the last 2 years. There are a lot of opportunities if you get off the road. So many people road hunt it’s ridiculous. Contact land owners well before the season starts. Hopefully I will be back this year. Good luck on you decision.

2dognite
Opportunities at young deer . Mature bucks are like honest politicians. Non existent almost

Opportunities at young deer . Mature bucks are like honest politicians. Non existent almost
The OP is looking for opportunities for his son. Seeing around 50-75 deer a day with plenty of bucks of all different age groups, all on public land, seems like a good option for him. I have never hunted Colorado so I don’t know what the population is like.

2dognite

The OP is looking for opportunities for his son. Seeing around 50-75 deer a day with plenty of bucks of all different age groups, all on public land, seems like a good option for him. I have never hunted Colorado so I don’t know what the population is like.

2dognite
I dunno about all different age classes ..... but for seeing deer yes your correct . Also gonna see a lot of hunters

I dunno about all different age classes ..... but for seeing deer yes your correct . Also gonna see a lot of hunters
All depends, in one week of hunting other than on roads and at sign in boxes I saw one other hunter who was about a half mile away. As far as all different age classes that's a little bit of a stretch imo.

If your looking to see a lot of deer and probably have your son shoot a 4x4 or 3x3 buck. Montana is your ticket.

All depends, in one week of hunting other than on roads and at sign in boxes I saw one other hunter who was about a half mile away. As far as all different age classes that's a little bit of a stretch imo.
I agree. I can do a hunt and never see another hunter. Do an easy hunt and you'll have a lot of company.

I live in Montana and have always just done a general deer tag with my kids knowing the chances of a large buck are pretty low; so the OP might consider heading to the Missouri Breaks; the season typically ends for muley bucks in mid-November on the CMR so check the regs, but we have always had a great time camping at the Fred Robinson Bridge and then parking off a road and hiking a few miles back into the coulees. Great opportunity for hunting by glassing, hiking, stalking, etc. without high elevation. Use caution if it rains as the gumbo can keep a truck stuck for a week or more. There are nice bucks back in there but it takes hiking several/multiple miles to get way from the road (not a surprise).

I live in Montana and have always just done a general deer tag with my kids knowing the chances of a large buck are pretty low; so the OP might consider heading to the Missouri Breaks; the season typically ends for muley bucks in mid-November on the CMR so check the regs, but we have always had a great time camping at the Fred Robinson Bridge and then parking off a road and hiking a few miles back into the coulees. Great opportunity for hunting by glassing, hiking, stalking, etc. without high elevation. Use caution if it rains as the gumbo can keep a truck stuck for a week or more. There are nice bucks back in there but it takes hiking several/multiple miles to get way from the road (not a surprise).
Beartooth is speaking the truth.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back