Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana on the Upswing?

As @Ben Lamb would probably say, "it's the habitat, stupid."
foreveralone-that70sshow.gif

I spent about 2 days in nice powder hunting elk in gallatin canyon last weekend. Saw some deer tracks and spotted a 2X2 buck, the only animal i saw in 2 days and staying in a bivy overnight in good conditions.. Got out just in time to catch the check station (guy in truck) before he left at dark. Check station used to be a nice building with coffee, maps, and staffed to weigh, age, and check all the game that came out of the canyon on 191. Thing have changed.

I pulled up and guy asked what district i was hunting, what drainage, and if I'd seen bear, wolf, or moose sign. I said I'd seen wolf tracks.

I asked if it had been slow and he said, "Yes, you're only the 23rd person in all day. Only 3 elk, 2 from the Flying D, and one from Porcupine."

I drove off wondering what they do with all that useful data.
This is why we can have fewer hunters than in the 80's and still have the eastern part of the state losing ground. Some places in the state have hit rock bottom. I wonder how may people went through that check station in the 80's.

you could sell the gps data, most likely,,,,, and round ball sales are through the roof,,,, price gougers dream,,,

can we just ear tag the rest of the mule deer bucks, and make them off limits should only take a day or two,,,
i imagine plenty of volunteers to help,,,

Back