Montana nonresident spring turkey and black bear hunting suspended

daltrix99

From FWP:

Nonresident spring turkey and black bear hunting suspended
Following the extension of Montana Gov. Steve Bullock’s directive that out of state travelers must quarantine for 14 days, Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks director Martha Williams has suspended nonresident hunting seasons for spring turkey and black bear until at least April 24.

On Tuesday, Gov. Bullock extended the mandatory quarantine directive related to COVID-19 through April 24 for travelers arriving in Montana from another state or country. The quarantine directive for out-of-state travelers applies to public outdoor recreation, grocery shopping and other activities. Those entering Montana from other states carry the risk of spreading COVID-19 to Montana residents. Surrounding states are taking similar measures to protect their own citizens and limit the spread of COVID-19.

“We place a high value on the ability to get outside and hunt, both for our residents and visitors. However, suspending the nonresident turkey and black bear seasons for now will keep everyone safer and help all of us remain consistent with Gov. Bullock’s directives,” Director Williams said.

Spring turkey season, which begins April 11, and spring black bear season, which begins April 15, will still be open to resident hunters; however, travel and social distancing directives need to be followed as hunters make their plans and head into the field.

Nonresidents who wish to return their license will be issued a refund.

For more information related to FWP’s response to COVID-19, please look online at fwp.mt.gov.

Additional information on COVID-19 is also available online, on DES social media, and via phone

Just looked at email.. damn was hoping Montana was going to take same approach as Idaho, where non residents who bought tags before "season suspended" would still be eligible.

Planning on taking a wait and see approach, since my hunt is planned for end of May.

Got this in my inbox too. Real bummer for those NRs planning to do some bear and turkey hunting. Hopefully this thing is mostly resolved by the fall seasons...

I saw Idaho just amended their order due to outfitters who had clients. Now, NRs who were booked with an outfitter are still eligible to go hunt.

That makes sense. If they completely cut off those hunts lots of people lose money. The guiding/outfitting industry is going to take a hit this year I bet.

That makes sense. If they completely cut off those hunts lots of people lose money. The guiding/outfitting industry is going to take a hit this year I bet.
I agree with you. I had a feeling Montana FWP was going to shutdown spring bear for NRs. However, I thought they were going to follow suit with Idaho. Fingers crossed that the ban will be lifted or amended.

I think the whole canceling of hunting seasons is just odd. How is a NR any more or less likely to spread the virus than say someone from Bozeman traveling to eastern MT?

Devil's advocate...but people all over the country come to Montana to hunt ..some from high risk areas and they spend time in and around a lot of our rural communities. You're right, we have a lot of people from WA and CA already here and Bozeangles is a thing in and of itself.

I saw Idaho just amended their order due to outfitters who had clients. Now, NRs who were booked with an outfitter are still eligible to go hunt.

This is crap, IMO. Either shut it down to everyone or nobody. We didn't allow barbers that had clients lined up for 2 weeks to cut their clients hair after the shutdown.

I'm getting a bit tired of outfitters always being an exception over everyone else that hunts.

I have my tag already which helps in this NR situation. I called Reg 2 office to see what the deal was with tagging before this announcement. I heard this was coming. At least they said they will refund. When I talked to them they said they have not decided to refund spring bear since you can use the tag in the fall...glad some logic came in to the mix. I'm going to tap the breaks on the refund until we know if they close it all together though. We shall see.

So are a lot of other businesses.

We (sportsmen) stock the shelves with wildlife, they come in and take from the resource and don't pay a dime at the cash register.

Finding it hard to feel much sympathy.

I have my tag already which helps in this NR situation. I called Reg 2 office to see what the deal was with tagging before this announcement. I heard this was coming. At least they said they will refund. When I talked to them they said they have not decided to refund spring bear since you can use the tag in the fall...glad some logic came in to the mix. I'm going to tap the breaks on the refund until we know if they close it all together though. We shall see.
Yeah, my group bought tags March 4. So if FWP does decide to honor those tags, we will be in good shape. Hopefully we get positive news come April 24th!

This is crap, IMO. Either shut it down to everyone or nobody. We didn't allow barbers that had clients lined up for 2 weeks to cut their clients hair after the shutdown.

I'm getting a bit tired of outfitters always being an exception over everyone else that hunts.
I agree with you.

We (sportsmen) stock the shelves with wildlife, they come in and take from the resource and don't pay a dime at the cash register.

Didn't think of it that way.

Regardless of my feelings about the outfitting industry as a whole, I have tremendous sympathy for them, and any business for that matter, that came to a halt through no fault of their own. Destruction of a business is no easy matter.

Yeah, my group bought tags March 4. So if FWP does decide to honor those tags, we will be in good shape. Hopefully we get positive news come April 24th!
The governor keeps this restriction going for two weeks at a time, and I'd be willing to bet that this suspension becomes a cancellation of non resident hunts for the spring, I'd be more worried about the summer and early fall stuff if this madness keeps going.

Regardless of my feelings about the outfitting industry as a whole, I have tremendous sympathy for them, and any business for that matter, that came to a halt through no fault of their own. Destruction of a business is no easy matter.

I probably should have more sympathy, you're right, and I probably would if they paid their freight...actually ANY freight.

They've done a great job of making things tough on the average guy and don't seem to share in any kind of compassion toward the rest of the hunting world when they lease stuff, pass wilderness guide laws, make it so NR have to use a guide for certain species, transferable LO tags, outfitter set asides, and a whole host of other nest feathering.

Its a flaw in my character, no question about it, but I don't usually feel too bad for someone that's kicked me in the teeth, when its their turn to take same.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back