Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana mule deer

One of them went and wacked the first 2.5 year-old 3 point he could find, just to bring it back to the biologist and show her out of spite. Real classy.
If I had been that bio, I would have thanked him for doing exactly what those tags are for. Giving hunters the opportunity to take a deer with lesser genetics in a unit were most hunters are passing on bucks that never get big. If a buck is a three point at age 2 1/2 I would say that the chance that he will never be a big deer even in the prime of life is much better than 50/50.

Last edited:
A permit but ya the answer is yes.
Was there scientific justification for the permit, or was to to placate the masses? I’ve seen a few here too of the same nature, and question the efficacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
It goes to show how spun up some people can get when you challenge their “facts”.

You have me confused with someone else my man, and I'm not interested in wasting time with ya.

Was there scientific justification for the permit, or was to to placate the masses? I’ve see a few here too I’d the same nature, and question the efficacy.
Somewhat of an experiment to reduce buck numbers in the name of CWD prevention.

If I had been that bio, I would have thanked him for doing exactly what those tags are for.
Just an FYI and not looking to to all foodismemory but when FWP added these permits it wasn’t to clean up genetics. They were looking to remove older age class bucks that might be more prone to CWD.
Since the old 3x were generally getting passed by guys with the regular permit they were looking at a way to remove them.

He's agreeing with you
He's agreeing that he's part of the derailing problem? Weird move, and I'm still not interested.

Edit: Now I'm becoming part of the problem, too. I'm out, don't quote-reply me.

How about some bucks that live longer than 2-3 years old with regularity?

Better.

So where's the data that shows that we're in a deficit of older-class bucks? I mean we've all seen the Thanksgiving day parade of forkies across MT, but do we have data to back up the anecdotal evidence?

Better.

So where's the data that shows that we're in a deficit of older-class bucks? I mean we've all seen the Thanksgiving day parade of forkies across MT, but do we have data to back up the anecdotal evidence?
Anecdotal? haha. You'll be better off waiting for the glaciers to come back than to await a deer/age scientific analysis done by FWP.

Is the only value of a mule deer the size of his antlers?

I'm starting to struggle with the reasoning behind being restrictive if the herd is doing ok and the goal is simply bigger antlers.
What does a healthy heard consists of?

short seasons, antlers must be five inches long, no point restrictions, very limited doe hunting, very very limited rut hunting

it seems no coincidence that colorado has big bucks hopping their way all around the state. we may not be a model for much, but i'd say we're a model for mule deer management.

He's agreeing that he's part of the derailing problem? Weird move, and I'm still not interested.

Edit: Now I'm becoming part of the problem, too. I'm out, don't quote-reply me.
I’m not sure how pointing your how people are very poor at counting antler points and judging tine length under field conditions is derailing a thread, other than some folks get entirely offended.

If I had been that bio, I would have thanked him for doing exactly what those tags are for. Giving hunters the opportunity to take a deer with lesser genetics in a unit were most hunters are passing on bucks that never get big. If a buck is a three point at age 2 1/2 I would say that the chance that he will never be a big deer even in the prime of life is much better than 50/50.
The tags are for shooting older age class bucks that most with the main 270 tag would pass on, party for more hunter opportunity and partly to help reduce buck numbers. The bios exact words were that the young 3 point was "not what the tag was for", and that it was too early to tell what a buck like that would look like by age 5, 6 or so. 🤷‍♂️

Back