Montana mule deer

Seems funny but it really isn't. This is how Montana mule deer hunting is being presented. Hunters across the country read things like this. Then, no "slammers" but a "good" deer they are happy with. mtmuley
I've only hunted mule deer in Montana once. Didnt see any slammers. Definitely the most pressured mule deer I've hunted as we were there at the end of the season. My cousin did shoot this buck which isn't a slammer however for most whitetail hunters coming from out of state they think it is or at least it is to them I think that factors in.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized952019112795145834001.jpeg
    Resized_Resized952019112795145834001.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 158
I've only hunted mule deer in Montana once. Didnt see any slammers. Definitely the most pressured mule deer I've hunted as we were there at the end of the season. My cousin did shoot this buck which isn't a slammer however for most whitetail hunters coming from out of state they think it is or at least it is to them I think that factors in.
Slammer for Montana

This train wreck is going to come to a head sooner than later. With the increase in population and demand, the public land resource simply won’t hold up to current management.
And with the current people in charge it won’t be to the benefit of public land hunters. Things are going to get wild, changes will come straight from the top of mtfwp and just like shoulder seasons for elk most people will overwhelmingly oppose. My prediction hope I’m wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was just one "hunting" magazine. I wonder in how many other magazines and on line sources is Montana made to look like a spectacular mule deer state? mtmuley

Did someone at FWP just hit their fist on the number-pad of the keyboard when asked for a population figure? They have no clue how many mule deer are in this state.
You're mistaken, They call like 8% of the hunters, so they know what its like out there. I remember looking at WT deer estimates one time for a unit I used to hunt. The post hunt population was something like 620 animals. I spent two days looking for antlers one spring and counted every deer I saw within about a 5 mile radius, I was over 400 and those were just the easy ones I could see. I doubt there was many double counts. Its no where like that today, but I agree they don't know within 20,000 if that, how many deer they have.

Seems funny but it really isn't. This is how Montana mule deer hunting is being presented. Hunters across the country read things like this. Then, no "slammers" but a "good" deer they are happy with. I
An article very similar to that drug me there way back in 99. After many trips I saw one "slammer" in about 10 trips of hunting hard. Think that one was pure luck undoubtedly.

Robert Hanneman and his Huntin Fool podcasts on how much fun eastern MT muley hunts are isn’t helping that issue.

I see ‘slammers’* sometimes 8 miles in, 5k up thru summer, but f me if I’m going g to haul that out. See a lot of shooters not so far, sorry not sorry if I’m not a ‘quality’ guy.

*Guessing on the meaning of ‘slammer’. Haven’t heard that one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back